July Safari is almost here! Last min tips please!

reviewing my itinerary, I'm non-stop from DC to JNB. that's one LONG flight haha

Looong flight- yes it is. On paper the refueling stop in Dakar sounds good. But I much prefer the nonstop since the stop adds over an hour to being stuck on the plane and nothing pleasant about it. Have a great trip- you'll be hooked!! :)

My flight from NYC to Joberg was non stop on SAA. Perhaps they figure that going that direction and with the tail winds that they have no problem making it without refueling. However on our way home we stopped in Dakar for a flight crew change and fuel I suppose. I slept from when we hit the ground until we took off again.

Lucky indeed to be able to sleep on a flight. I'm jealous:) The only way I can do it is in Business/1st class. Those tickets are beyond my grade for certain. Even in the best of the comfort economy seats I can't do it.

I think SAA may have upgraded some of their aircraft for the longer non stops. I know they primarily have used Airbus and they may be upgrading to some longer range Airbus planes. For the ATL to JNB nonstop, Delta has used 777s.

Lots of small bills, so you can pay your bribes, i mean tips.

Direction of travel makes a huge difference regarding fuel. Looks like both mine are non stop but the return is almost an hr longer. 17:55 is a **** long flight!

Dollars, lots of 5's & 10's, some 20's too.

Shoot from sticks at ranges of 250-300meters. Pack warm clothes, jacket, toque and gloves. Even long underwear for early mornings. We had frost and -4celsius a few mornings last summer near Kimberley. Wore shorts on one hunt near PE.

Best two "tips" ($10 bill each time) I ever offered up- once on the highway north of Tete Mozambique near the Zambia border and another at the airport in Tete. US bills work most everywhere for such contingencies. Ask outfitter or PH the best currency to use for "standard" gratuities. Zim is without a currency so USD works fine there. Many of the US bills in Zim are tp thin, oily and almost black form continuous circulation. And most everywhere in Africa, older, soiled US bills are more acceptable than fresh, crisp ones- if you have a choice.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, just made a trip by the bank and got $50 in 5's and $50 in 10s for tipping in those situations.

On another note, anyone see any problems packing a couple bipods, and shooting sticks in the empty space of a double rifle case for this trip?

Don't forget to observe the small things. Odd tracks, various, birds, plants, trees, rocks. Take time to interact with the trackers, cooks, locals. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in getting an animal and then on to the next one. Take time to see your animals in detail.

Take pics of everything!

I've done it before... I also put cleaning kits in the rifle cases.

Don't forget to observe the small things. Odd tracks, various, birds, plants, trees, rocks. Take time to interact with the trackers, cooks, locals. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in getting an animal and then on to the next one. Take time to see your animals in detail.

Take pics of everything!

Absolutely! Easy to get caught in the moment, trying to absorb everything and miss out. Hard to make time stand still. Some of my most treasured memories are of time spent with camp staff and locals. Yes, photos- there will be plenty of "hi mom" trophy pics. Photos of camp life, obscure things, locals in villages, donkey carts, use of bicycles, candid photos of all people doing regular things, etc. etc.

Take pics of everything!

100% agree!

In addition to the tips you've received from other AH members I'd like to mention another. I took 6 boxes of "Kind Bars" They make great snacks while you are out in the bush. They also mad me a lot of "points" with the staff i.e. trackers, drivers, housekeeping. Even though we could not communicate my attempt to be friendly was well understood and appreciated.

Great idea...

In addition to the tips you've received from other AH members I'd like to mention another. I took 6 boxes of "Kind Bars" They make great snacks while you are out in the bush. They also mad me a lot of "points" with the staff i.e. trackers, drivers, housekeeping. Even though we could not communicate my attempt to be friendly was well understood and appreciated.

Yes! most any bagged candy that won't melt is great! I usually take 2-3 large bags of "Smarties" - simply compressed sugar pellets with a little flavor added. Never met anyone who wouldn't snack on them. :)

I wouldn't worry about shooting sticks, your outfitter or PH should have that covered for you. Unless you might feel more comfortable using your own.

On the money side I had my bank convert around $1000 to SA rand to be used for tipping the locals. You will find that once you get away from the cities that the people that you will tip very seldom get to a location to exchange US money and if they do a lot of times they don't get a very good rate when they do so.

I spend just about all of my SA rand while we were doing the tour of South African and only came home with a little over $100 US of it.

I would spend time with the skinners as the worked on my animals after the hunt. They got to know my affinity for tracking the path of the bullet through the animal that after supper when I came to see them they would tell me all about how the bullet travelled through the animal and give me the bullet if they found it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lyn302587

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois