John Wayne - Hatari

My childhood hero . I have personally watched every last film of his , except " The Shootist " . My favorite John Wayne film of all time shall always be " True Grit " .
No doubt , the " Remington .458 " mentioned here ... is a Remington Model 700 bolt rifle , which was chambered in .458 Winchester magnum calibre .

The shootist is also a good one

I was 9 when it first hit theaters, my mom took us to see it. Loved it then and still love it today. Great soundtrack too, by Henry Mancini, one of the greats of that era.
I went looking for the book one day, being as many if not most movies are book based. Not an easy find but I did find it. Its title and author are actually listed in the movie credits. Book is not at all the light hearted thing we see on screen. In the book Pockets and Sean are always fighting, and angry. I like the movie much better.

The shootist is also a good one
Yes ... I am certain that it is , Skinnersblade . However , I will never watch that 1 film , because I know that John Wayne's character dies at the end of the film. And I cannot bear to watch that . Real life is depressing enough as it is . That is why I always prefer cinema with happier endings . Films are meant to entertain us and help us escape the darkness of reality for the 1 or 2 hours that we are watching it . That is why I could never bring myself to watch " Shootist " . @Kawshik Rahman and @Panther Shooter often tell me to watch it anyway , however.

Yes ... I am certain that it is , Skinnersblade . However , I will never watch that 1 film , because I know that John Wayne's character dies at the end of the film. And I cannot bear to watch that . Real life is depressing enough as it is . That is why I always prefer cinema with happier endings . Films are meant to entertain us and help us escape the darkness of reality for the 1 or 2 hours that we are watching it . That is why I could never bring myself to watch " Shootist " . @Kawshik Rahman and @Panther Shooter often tell me to watch it anyway , however.

I can certainly appreciate you opinion, I personally prefer to see it as a valiant act that he meets his end on his own terms.

That being said watching you childhood hero meet his end is never an easy task, I'm not to proud to admit I've teared up watching the cowboys.

I can certainly appreciate you opinion, I personally prefer to see it as a valiant act that he meets his end on his own terms.

That being said watching you childhood hero meet his end is never an easy task, I'm not to proud to admit I've teared up watching the cowboys.
I know exactly how you feel ! The saddest thing for me was watching " The Sands of Iwo Jima " in 1951 . I was only 10 years old , at the time ... when I had 1st seen that film . He gets killed in the end .

Note the far right corner of my man cave.
90A9BD26-6C63-467D-98EC-AE41DED35F6B.jpeg

Needless to say who one of my heros is!
When a kid my family went to Creede, Colorado on vacations. We were told by the locals John Wayne owned a ranch south of town with a landing strip. They told us if we watched when passing and saw a Leer jet, that meant he was there. I looked every time we passed the ranch. Finally I saw the little jet! Man was I excited!

The marboro man salutes a statue of John Wayne and dog in the opening bar seen
Wait, so you're talking about the MOVIE "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" right? I thought you were talking about in the movie HONDO. I just looked at my copy of Hondo and saw nothing of the sort, so was confused. A couple of extra capital letters sometimes can help in understanding things.(y):D

Wait, so you're talking about the MOVIE "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" right? I thought you were talking about in the movie HONDO. I just looked at my copy of Hondo and saw nothing of the sort, so was confused. A couple of extra capital letters sometimes can help in understanding things.(y):D

Sorry my only internet connection is an old I phone and I'm not really qualified to operate that. Pretty good with carburetors though...

Note the far right corner of my man cave.
View attachment 345756
Needless to say who one of my heros is!
When a kid my family went to Creede, Colorado on vacations. We were told by the locals John Wayne owned a ranch south of town with a landing strip. They told us if we watched when passing and saw a Leer jet, that meant he was there. I looked every time we passed the ranch. Finally I saw the little jet! Man was I excited!
A good friend of mine who died a couple of years ago, had that Duke poster as well at his place. A real fan.
Is that a Russell above the fireplace?

Your bear rug looks about like the Idaho bear that I got in spring of '76, right down to the red and black felt backing. Its on the wall.

Pienso como usted

Last edited by a moderator:
This might sound crazy but does anyone remember a song sung by natives when they were out in the car looking for game...the lyrics were something like, "I see a Lion ten miles high, he could reach the sky...zooma zooma Safari."

I THINK that it was from Hatari but I'm not sure as I haven't seen the movie since my childhood.

When I was in college in 1968 my aunt invited me for skiing in Aspen for the New Year's holidays. One day I was in a ski shop in Aspen looking through ski pants in a rack. Another man came up to the same rack and started flipping through the pants. I looked at his hands--big, gnarled hands of an older man. I heard people whispering and I looked up--way up--at the man next to me. It was John Wayne. I'm 5' 10" and he towered over me. He could not have been nicer. He was wearing a lumberjack cap to cover his head (which was bald--he wore a small wig in his films). He patiently stopped and posed for photos with all of the ladies in the shop and outside in the street. Aspen was a big getaway in those days for the jet set and Hollywood stars. I later saw Kathryn Ross (the Graduate and Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid) at dinner in the Red Onion restaurant.
Hatari is a good film about Africa and the action scenes are great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18whlsrolin

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross