Jet Lag / Post Africa Depression Syndrome Sucks!!

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
So we get home Tuesday evening after the long flight home. Unpack and reacquaint ourselves with our younger boy. Eat a little Amarula fudge. Yada yada yada......it's 1opm and we're off to bed. Rocks do not sleep this well and I'm up at 6am to get Justin off to school. I'm figuring I am good to go with no jet lag.

Spend Wednesday retrieving mail, other errands etc. Drowsiness hits in the afternoon but no big deal, I trudge on. Football practice for Justin keeps me going. 10pm again and down I go.........but then the first sign of jet lag happens. 1:30am and I wake for some reason and roll over in bed. I can see the glint of faint light off Donna's eyes, she is awake too. We speak just a few words but back to sleep I go. 4:30am, I wake again and just go ahead and get up. This will just mean a long day but I'll be good and tired that night and sleep well. Get Justin to school and off to that wonderful cube of mine otherwise known as my office.

Hundreds of emails to sift thru, online training modules and no less than two grumpy managers to deal with. Man is it ever great to be back home.......:unsure: But I'm doing fine until afternoon when once again the drowsiness hits and hits hard. No problem, I'm at work, I can't lie down and take a nap, must trudge on. 4:30 can't come quick enough, but of course it eventually does.

Right, just need to make it to at least 9pm and I'll sleep well. Not a problem. A little AH and then not one but two great sporting events for Thursday evening. I get to watch my alma mater Virginia Tech resume their comeback to football relevancy beat up on the dirtbags from the Juvenile Delinquent School of Miami!! With great skill and timing using the "Previous Channel" button on the remote, I also get to watch the Cubs beat the equally filthy dirtbags aka the Los Angeles Dodgers!! What a great sporting evening and as the Cubs game comes to a most pleasant end, I go to sleep.

And then it happens again, roughly 3 hours later I awake. Nature calls and off to the bathroom I go. I return and glance over at the clock on my wife's nightstand, it's only 12:30am!!!!!! And now I sit here with nothing but images of Kudu, Gemsbok, Eland, other assorted PG and a pissed off lioness dancing through my head. Friday at work is going to really suck.

A combination of jet lag and Post Africa Depression Syndrome, heretofore to be known as PADS, I am suffering greatly from this very early part of Friday. I'm sure some of you will commiserate with my miserable self while others will think "Too bad sucker!" I don't blame you if you fall in the latter category, been there and thought that about others in years I didn't go to Africa.

Okay so my statement on the Dodgers is perhaps a little strong. So if you're a Dodgers fan, chalk it up to me being a fan of the vastly underachieving Arizona Diamondbacks. Short of Yesiel Puig, not a bad bunch of players. Andre Ethier is actually a local boy. I had the pleasure of meeting him several years ago when he was invited and came to one of my son's baseball practices, friendly gent that talked to us dads for quite awhile.

If you're a Miami fan, well you get it. I'll give you some credit for at least not being a UVA fan........I think I just did it again. Think I'll just quit now.

Reactions: BWH
Just think - if you never went, you wouldn't have PADS, then you would just be bored. Now you are bored with memories of Africa.

The cure for jet lag is easy, move to Europe....no lag when flying to and from Africa, same time zone...(y)

As for PADS, Lord help you.....:whistle:

Okay I understand Pondoro being awake, what are you doing up K-man?

Terrible thing to have, went through some of that when I got home, then I remembered why I had it, I'd just been to hunt Africa, wow, it doesn't get any better than that.

I think there is a scientific formula that states the amount of time to recover from a trip is directly related to how great the trip was. (A length of trip X B number trophies taken divided by C shots taken with the constant of trophy quality = D recovery time) or something like that. Man, Phil you are in for a rough few days! I am up packing for my trip,

One of those things we all dread but will happily go through!

I'm gonna be a little short on sympathy here Phil. You're suffering (enjoying maybe) a malady that I can only wish I were afflicted with.

Thanks for the post, it's a good start to my day.

First of all I hope you had a great time and those Kudu never leave your dreams. I take melatonin in these situations and it resets my internal clock naturally. I am packing right now for my leopard hunt. I leave Monday.
Rifle ✔️
Clothes ✔️
Melatonin ✔️

Ok I'm ready to go!

Regards
Philip

I'm gonna be a little short on sympathy here Phil. You're suffering (enjoying maybe) a malady that I can only wish I were afflicted with.

Thanks for the post, it's a good start to my day.

As mentioned above, "Too bad sucker!" is a perfectly understood response. :)

Well, I think it pretty safe to say... all of us that have been there, have "been there". The jet lag, missing Africa, replays of opportunity, joy & defeat in our head..... UGH. Then comes the planning of your next trip over. :whistle:

I know how you feel. .. but I don't think of PADS as a disease. Instead, it's more like an addiction I don't want to quit.

I dream of Africa every night. My dreams are spent planning our next safari. The only thing up for debate is do we hunt buff or leopard or both on the next trip?

These are good worries to have- not all men are so fortunate to suffer from PADS. Think of the poor fellows that don't know what they're missing! (Channeling my inner Ruark in that monologue)

Reactions: BWH
Ditto!!!! Well said.

+1....off to Africa 30.November..:Cigar:

First of all I hope you had a great time and those Kudu never leave your dreams. I take melatonin in these situations and it resets my internal clock naturally. I am packing right now for my leopard hunt. I leave Monday.
Rifle ✔️
Clothes ✔️
Melatonin ✔️

Ok I'm ready to go!

Regards
Philip
+1 on melatonin, works nicely and I prefer it to sleeping tabs.

I don't suffer from jet lag stuff, I'm use to working around the clock. I have conditioned my body to accept that sleep can come when my head hits the pillow. It can be at 0830, 1600 or 0330. Or anytime I'm fortunate to sleep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesDet

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.