Jet lag- how do you handle if?

Awful lot of sleeping for a honeymoon. Just sayin' :A Outta:
I did say we didn't go eat until about 7. The sun was setting when we woke up. Ya throw open the balcony doors (mid-March in Venice is chilly, not cold), get serenaded by gondoliers who are the operatic equivalent of AAA baseball players, ya does what it is married couples do.

I live in NV and always take the redeye to JFK. I can sleep on a plane fairly well. I leave JFK about noon for Joburg. Doze or sleep off and on going over. Get to Joburg around mid morning next day. Catch an afternoon flight to Port Elizabeth. Usual bedtime that night and I'm fine for the duration.

Return trip is a PM flight to Joburg, redeye to JFK arriving next AM. PM flight to NV, usual bedtime at home and next day I'm back to normal, no aftereffects. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones unaffected by jet lag.
I say yes you are the lucky one, jet lag and that feeling is something that I do not want to feel first day of safari.

While in Military it never bothered me, days to night shifts and out in a port next day never hurt me, my body took in stride the crazy 5 day sleep deprivation exercises, none bothered me much, I never worried about 12 day time changes or days lost or gained when crossing International Date Line but when age and Apnea creeped in certainly need that machine sleep now. No way can I sleep on a plane anymore. Maybe a little excitement when in air to Africa also has an effect.

Every ones body is different, tougher when young, less issues. Being retired and really liking time in Africa a few days on both ends of hunts is something I enjoy. Days before have saved me from hunting with others weapons twice now. That alone to me is reason to add relax/tourist/rest days before.

For those that do not have that extra time, sleep on route, take a pill or sleep some of the fist day on safari. Best is your still in Africa.

MB

I like to endure the majority of the flight awake(with the occasional Power Nap). you loose two cups of water for every hour your on a flight so I stay up and take every advantage for water I can(it’s important to stay hydrated while on a flight).When it comes to food it’s important to eat, but I don’t trust airplane food after getting food poisoning from a flight to South Africa. It’s also important to move around whenever you can.

Then when you arrive (depending on the time) you completely crash at a hotel, unless you arrive during the day. then you endure being awake a little longer until the evening where then you can completely crash.

This was my experience to and from South Africa.

Fly business class and sleep on the way over.
I have made 500+ international, long flights in my work career and honestly, nothing works.
Sleep when you are sleepy.

Flying business class would be fine if you can afford the extra $1000-2000+ dollars to do so.

But then that also goes against one of the recommendations of a lot of members here that to save that money and purchase a few more animals to hunt.

Flying business class would be fine if you can afford the extra $1000-2000+ dollars to do so.

But then that also goes against one of the recommendations of a lot of members here that to save that money and purchase a few more animals to hunt.
Right. When flying for business, the business pays for it. Guess that's why it's called business class? I expect I won't get much sleep no matter how comfy the seats are. May as well be totally miserable for a few hours and use the money saved to shoot another kudu. Because I love hunting kudu!

I say yes you are the lucky one, jet lag and that feeling is something that I do not want to feel first day of safari.

While in Military it never bothered me, days to night shifts and out in a port next day never hurt me, my body took in stride the crazy 5 day sleep deprivation exercises, none bothered me much, I never worried about 12 day time changes or days lost or gained when crossing International Date Line but when age and Apnea creeped in certainly need that machine sleep now. No way can I sleep on a plane anymore. Maybe a little excitement when in air to Africa also has an effect.

Every ones body is different, tougher when young, less issues. Being retired and really liking time in Africa a few days on both ends of hunts is something I enjoy. Days before have saved me from hunting with others weapons twice now. That alone to me is reason to add relax/tourist/rest days before.

For those that do not have that extra time, sleep on route, take a pill or sleep some of the fist day on safari. Best is your still in Africa.

MB
When working the "graveyard" shift (2200-0600), your brain/body is involuntarily subject to the disruptions in the "Circadian rhythm" for 48 hours on your days off from work and there's not much you can do about it. So, I was pretty much immune to jet lag during the multiple flights and extended layovers over 30 hours on my WAY OVER on my one trip to Africa. I did suffer some jet lag on the way back because I had been on "normal" day time for ten days on the Safari.

Right. When flying for business, the business pays for it. Guess that's why it's called business class? I expect I won't get much sleep no matter how comfy the seats are. May as well be totally miserable for a few hours and use the money saved to shoot another kudu. Because I love hunting kudu!
And, many times when the business pays for it, you get frequent flier miles to keep personally for your next business class seat on your African Safari. More power to those that can do this, but it's not the vast majority of airline passengers going anywhere.

I think even $2K extra is a little optimistic? I would guess $2-3K extra now depending on the flight?

When working the "graveyard" shift (2200-0600), your brain/body is involuntarily subject to the disruptions in the "Circadian rhythm" for 48 hours on your days off from work and there's not much you can do about it. So, I was pretty much immune to jet lag during the multiple flights and extended layovers over 30 hours on my WAY OVER on my one trip to Africa. I did suffer some jet lag on the way back because I had been on "normal" day time for ten days on the Safari.
I am writing this in a hotel, just completed 24 days of shift, 12 hrs on 12 hrs off, 8 till 8 daily in a mine way north Canada. Been retired for many years but this came up and could not say no. Mostly to see if I could even still do and funds added to my "rhino, hippo" account. This old body jumped right in, no real issues, surprised myself. Did use resmed daily for that 7 hrs of good sleep and great hotel bed gave me 8 last night.

I am not sure if a persons body can be "trained" to overcome the jet lag feeling? Or if its just some handle it better than others. Glad I am a lucky one who's body seams to adapt quickly.

For those whos body needs time, no better way than to have days in Africa before hunt starts.

MB

We are headed to Zimbabwe in June, flight from Dallas to Doha, then to Harare to camp. Wondering how best to over come the 8 time zone difference and accompanying jet lag. Anyone have a system? Thanks in advance
I have a couple of tips. When I get on the plane I set my watch to Africa time. I try to sleep on the plane in relation to nighttime in Africa. On arrival and for 3 or so days I take Melatonin at bedtime. This should help

I have been over twice, the first time a direct flight from NY but I started my trip the day before I hit NY in Denver. I actually flew from Denver-SLC-NY-Joberg-Port Elizabeth where he had a hotel room for the night. I was 62 on that trip and had zero problems with jet lag on the way over, coming home was a different story. I was wide awake for a extra day once I got home.

The last time was Denver-Dallas-Doha-Joberg-Port Elizabeth with no hotel when got in. Our PH's picked us up and I was ready to go, no jet lag. But once again that trip home was a killer. I was 69 on that trip.
Jet lag is always worse for me going west. I went to Perth, Australia and that was the worst.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharityQua

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
Africas leading outdoor and hunting filming company!
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg