Ivory imports?

M70375!

AH fanatic
Joined
Mar 8, 2024
Messages
723
Reaction score
1,091
Location
Wyoming
Media
18
Hunting reports
Africa
3
Hunted
Botswana, Mozambique Alaska, Canada, MT WY NM ID ND SD OR KS
I am curious how much people are having to spend to get ivory home. I just got mine home from Botswana today, I will have to see if I can find my receipts in the emails over the last 2 years to be sure of the exact cost, but. as close as I can recall it looks like a shade over $11,000 for all related costs for just the tusks (65lb) and tail.
Did I get ripped off or maybe I should have used someone else to handle the process of getting them home. I paid Conservation Force $3500 to do the permitting , is there a better option for that?
IMG_2246.jpeg
 
What’s the breakdown of your $11,000? Once you get the import permit it ships and clears like any other trophy shipment. The only extra fee for elephant is paying adventure permits or conservation force to secure the import permit for you.
 
I have not imported elephant. It hope to in a few years after my 2028 hunt. I really hope it isn’t $11k to do so. Based on my research before booking that seems high. I wasn’t looking at Botswana so maybe there are additional costs there.
 
What’s the breakdown of your $11,000? Once you get the import permit it ships and clears like any other trophy shipment. The only extra fee for elephant is paying adventure permits or conservation force to secure the import permit for you.
I will see if I can roundup all the charges, there was as I remember $1350 to ship from Botswana to SA, then Charges for Debbie Peak's services, then $2409 in fees and charges to get it from Chicago to WY and if I remember right it was about $3500 to ship from Sa to Chicago, then $300 for the broker in CA. and $3500 to Conservation Force and storage charges in Chicago.
 
Last edited:
I actually had a conversation earlier today when I got a shipping quote for some coming from Zim.

Shipping alone is $9889 - should be noted that I have 2 crates
1) Finished Goods - Tusks, Leather, Zebra Rug, etc
2) D&P - Leopard

I utilized SSI on the permit so no extra fee beyond normal customs (no longer offering this service) + I’ll have a road transport fee from NYC to Texas, unless I want to pick it up when visiting my parents and drive it to their house or cross country. I expect my final bill to be $11,500ish. The shipping of Zim to SA to the US + fees was more than the Zim Direct cost.
 
I will see if I can roundup all the charges, there was as I remember $1350 to ship from Botswana to SA, then Charges for Debbie Peak's services, then $2409 in fees and charges to get it from Chicago to WY and if I remember right it was about $3500 to ship from Sa to Chicago, then $300 for the broker in CA.
At end of 2024 if my remember right, my charges were $600 dip and pack, $2500 adventure permits, $3500 ship zim to Chicago, then $2500 for clearing and final shipping to PA for tusks, eland, waterbuck, and few others.
 
I actually had a conversation earlier today when I got a shipping quote for some coming from Zim.

Shipping alone is $9889 - should be noted that I have 2 crates
1) Finished Goods - Tusks, Leather, Zebra Rug, etc
2) D&P - Leopard

I utilized SSI on the permit so no extra fee beyond normal customs (no longer offering this service) + I’ll have a road transport fee from NYC to Texas, unless I want to pick it up when visiting my parents and drive it to their house or cross country. I expect my final bill to be $11,500ish. The shipping of Zim to SA to the US + fees was more than the Zim Direct cost.
When are you picking up?
 
At end of 2024 if my remember right, my charges were $600 dip and pack, $2500 adventure permits, $3500 ship zim to Chicago, then $2500 for clearing and final shipping to PA for tusks, eland, waterbuck, and few others.
For $2500 I think I’d drive to Chicago and pick up. But then I like road trips.
 
For $2500 I think I’d drive to Chicago and pick up. But then I like road trips.
The shipping component was maybe $500?
 
Congrats on a very nice set of ivory! How does it feel to have them home? I’m starting the process for some as well, but not that big. Hopefully in the future:)
 
to get everything home, all inclusive costs, ivory (30 plus 35 pounds each), plus replica tusks, plus plains game dip and pack, crate 220 pounds, I expect to get to around 6000 eur, or 6.500 USD. But I am shipping to Europe. From Zim.

Taxidermy will further cost me 5.000.
But for time being I will just keep salted skins.
Will not start taxidermy immediately on arrival.

With my home being full of trophies, and extra costs on shipping and taxidermy, I am getting out of trophy phase. From now on, I will be looking for own use, non exportable hunts with significant savings on shipping and extra costs.
My future hunts will be for experience

These extra costs amount to very good plains game hunt in Namibia, or buffalo hunt in south Africa.
It is going out of reality.
 
At end of 2024 if my remember right, my charges were $600 dip and pack, $2500 adventure permits, $3500 ship zim to Chicago, then $2500 for clearing and final shipping to PA for tusks, eland, waterbuck, and few others.
Does that include what your broker charges. I guess with inflation we are not that far apart in cost
 
Congrats on a very nice set of ivory! How does it feel to have them home? I’m starting the process for some as well, but not that big. Hopefully in the future:)
Thanks , it feels good. Sometimes thought I would never get them. 25 months
 
Does that include what your broker charges. I guess with inflation we are not that far apart in cost
Yes. Looks like the main difference is conservation force is $1000 more and you had to ship to South Africa first.
 
Correction.
I got a list of all my charges. It came to $9526. Botswana to WY. Not as bad as the $11,000 that I originally thought. 2 tusks and one tail. one crate 170 lbs.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,318
Messages
1,572,841
Members
169,625
Latest member
bunccadisri1975
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top