Ive gone and done it again. Bought another rifle

It’s more of a small game caliber @shark_za …. They have been used to kill deer in the US.. but pretty ineffectively…

A long time ago it was a reasonably popular caliber for trappers for dispatching things like fox, rabbits, beaver, etc…

If I recall correctly it’s sending roughly an 80gr bullet at about 1400 fps…

Tell me more about the 25-20 Bob?
The price was right and I just got a bolt action Savage Sporter in this caliber.
Will it do for Impala?
@shark_za
Out to 100 to 125 yard the little 25-20 should be fine for impala. As you have a bolt action your in luck as blunt nose light 25 cal projectiles are hard to come by.
A load of 13gn of Lil gun or H4198 will give you close to 2,000 fps with a 70gn speer blitz king or 75 gn VMAX. Both these bullets expand down to 1,600fps so should still work well to 100 yards or so. They aren't big animals
Work up to these loads.
As long as you do your bit the little cartridge will do its with minimal meat damage and good internal damage.
Let us know how it goes
Bob

I see a 65gr cast bullet at around 1800fps is attainable, should work.
Finding cases in SA is the issue.
@shark_za
I don't know about tour import laws but if needed I can send you some cases.
If your 65gn is gas checked you should easily break the 2,000fps. The old hi speed load was a 60gn soft point at 2,200fps and that was years ago. Nick Harvey used that load for years back in the 50s for roo culling out to 150 yards with out any problems. That was in an old 92 Winchester. He still has a sift spot for it.
Bob

Thanks Bob, sounds promising.
So me and a mate each won one on a collectors auction for $65 and $70 USD.
Savage 23B and Sporter.
He has already bought the Lyman mould for the 65gr gas checked bullet and sourced a few 1000 gas checks along with dies.
Working on something for some cases from the US and we will be in business; in about 3-4 months it takes for the licenses.

Left out pump, model 25 maybe. Been awake for 2 and a half day, head not working to well.
there is both a model 25 pump and a 14 1/2 pump chambered in 25-20. I’ve got a model 25 takedown that is what bob and I were joking about in the beginning of the thread.

Thanks Bob, sounds promising.
So me and a mate each won one on a collectors auction for $65 and $70 USD.
Savage 23B and Sporter.
He has already bought the Lyman mould for the 65gr gas checked bullet and sourced a few 1000 gas checks along with dies.
Working on something for some cases from the US and we will be in business; in about 3-4 months it takes for the licenses.
@shark_za
Mate you are going to have a ball with that little round. Just use it within its capabilities and not try and make it what it ain't. Those little bullets should be able to 2,000fps with a gas check. If either are bolt actions I would also try some of the 70 or 75 gn spitzers as well.
Bob

@Skinnersblade
How's that little double coming on mate.
Bob
Stalled dead in the water right now , my gunsmiths still dealing with the after effects of a really bad case of shingles. He was is an elderly man to start with and it’s been very difficult on him.

@Korg Kruger
I've just sent off my permit to acquire usually takes 2 weeks but as soon as I get it I will be posting pictures.
Bob.
In QLD now a permit is 6 to 8 weeks & over $40.00 our State leader ''MISS PIGGY " has downsized
the Firearms registry in an attempt to send dealers out of business & to discourage firearm ownership. Whilst black market guns, drugs, youth crime, house invasions, assaults & car theft are
on the increase. IF you want to protest about climate change, get a sex change, get a electric car,
go woke or Rainbow or join the greens this state will bend over backwoods for you.

Last edited:
Bob, I just talked with my friend Larry and he removed some of the cobwebs in my memory. The rifle he bought from Dan belonged to Dan's deceased brother. Dan had borrowed it and, not being able to get primers, (sound familiar) made his own which were corrosive and ruined the barrel. The brother was angry upon finding his ruined barrel and told Dan he was owed a new barrel. Dan contacted Winchester who sent the stainless barrel and he put it on the rifle.
Larry said that George Midas' book on Winchester had a lot of information on the stainless barrels and would be interested to know when your rifle was produced.
@7x57Joe
After taking the old girl to my gunsmith the rifle was made in 1907 and the barrel is a 1927 parts barrel. The stainless barrels were made from 27 until 33 and were found to be difficult to make with machinery of the day. Only about 700 were made in different calibers.
Mine is also threaded for a maxim silencer.
Bob

25-20 WCF is a great little round. It is actually better suited to Africa an Australia than it is at home here In America. With judicious shot placement, it is a wonderful "brush gun" for north woods deer. As others have said, it was great as a trapper and rancher gun for varmints, coyotes, fox, beaver, and other problems around the homestead.

I have a 95% condition 1892 saddle ring carbine in that caliber. Due to its condition, I hesitate to even touch it, much less shoot it.

If I were in Africa, the 25-20 would be the perfect thing to carry for bushbuck, impala, duiker, klippys, hares, jackals, civets, genets, ducks, geese, porcupines, and anything else that is near the kraal. The gun excels at 50 meter shots on animals less than 100 pounds.

The 25-20, 32-20, and the 218 Bee are all great woods walking guns. In the past I've owned them all. Fun, and easy to keep fed.
The 256 magnum is also in the category. I had one of those also. A semi-auto that was based on a commercial M1 carbine type of action. Can't remember the name of the manufacturer right now, Plainfield maybe

The 25-20, 32-20, and the 218 Bee are all great woods walking guns. In the past I've owned them all. Fun, and easy to keep fed.
The 256 magnum is also in the category. I had one of those also. A semi-auto that was based on a commercial M1 carbine type of action. Can't remember the name of the manufacturer right now, Plainfield maybe
I to played with the 25/20, 256 Win & 218 Bee in the 1960s -1970s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you