I've found perfection

One very fine rig!

Hi Earle,

Very good !! If you add a quick detachable peep sight you are done!
I saw some time ago an offer from NECG of a ghost ring peep sight alone and the ghost ring peep sight+a partridge front sight. This front post in different eights. They are not cheap but reasonable price I think.
I have this same NECG for a Weaver type base in my FN-Akah .30-06. Works great with windage and elevation corrections.
I found the link to see them!
https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/products.php?cat=577

Best

CF

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.53.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.53.01 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 218
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.53.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.53.03 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 200
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.53.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.53.06 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 226
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.53.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.53.07 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 212
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.53.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.53.08 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 198
Last edited by a moderator:
not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but if if bought that rifle, and i would like it, i would have to restock it.
the ammount of drop at heel, and possibly at comb as well, is beyond belief given the advantages of straighter stocks.
lucky it is not a calibre that kicks.
the original stock could be kept for non use when not hunting.
many of the lusted after british rifles suffer the same problem, as does the kentucky rifle.
bruce.

Congrats on the nice find! zg47's are hard to come by in the states and most are '06.

Thank you all for the kind words. Just got an email back from Alaska Arms and they do ship to Canada. Will pursue it further and see if they can suggest a set of QD rings for me. Really looking forward to the end of this virus so i can get to the range again.
Alaska Arms make really good stuff!

I have a 2.5X Leupold Alaskan 7/8" tube std cross hair perfect for my RJRenner special in 7x57 at 5.5 lbs, talley 7/8" QD rings..Love it

I shoot 150 or 160 gr. bullets at 2800 plus, and your rifle also has a long throat so if you handload use H414 and in a good rifle like yours you can go up to 4 or 5 gr. over book max as the books load down because of mod. 95 and 96 Mauser and falling block rifle out there and law suits that follow...

You have an outstanding rifle there in an outstanding caliber that I once culled buffalo in Africa with, Bell killed a 1000 plus elephant with, just use the right bullets..It will do the job..

Hello all. Been collecting and trying various rifles for a while now. A few I really like and have kept, mostly CZs and a few Remingtons. I always was on the lookout for a Brno ZG-47, hopefully in 7x64 and a couple weeks ago I found one, but in 7x57. It was in such nice condition that I bought it. The seller threw in 140 pieces of new brass, 200 Hornady bullets and RCBS dies. Besides obviously being a well made rifle, I don't believe I've ever had a rifle that "felt" so natural when shouldered. The open sights are just there. No shifting or squirming to line them up. They just appear like magic. This one is for sure a keeper. Don't know that I will ever get to Africa at my age, but the Brno will be walking the Ontario bush this fall.

View attachment 356789

love the gun. Not sure I love them as much as they are worth. Are you aware a collector will pay $3000-$4000 CAD for that gun? You could own a used Rigby 7x57 for almost what that Czechoslovakian is worth today.

Last edited:
Have not posted any up-dates yet, still waiting on the Alaska rings. They were shipped on the 9th, but must have went east across Russia, rather than south, LOL.
Going to try some handloading next week. It will be my first attempt and if the results are not to embarrassing i will post some pics.
Thanks again for all the positive comments.

not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but if if bought that rifle, and i would like it, i would have to restock it.
the ammount of drop at heel, and possibly at comb as well, is beyond belief given the advantages of straighter stocks.
lucky it is not a calibre that kicks.
the original stock could be kept for non use when not hunting.
many of the lusted after british rifles suffer the same problem, as does the kentucky rifle.
bruce.

It is certainly an option, but not that hard to get used to. I have a photo of Kevin Robertson’s ZG47 9,3, and he overcame that with a simple leather cheak riser.

image003.jpg

image002.jpg

love the gun. Not sure I love them as much as they are worth. Are you aware a collector will pay $3000-$4000 CAD for that gun? You could own a used Rigby 7x57 for almost what that Czechoslovakian is worth today.

Jeez. I paid respectively R8000 and R5000 for my two.

not wanting to offend, but the fact kevin put the strap on cheekpiece on tells that he recognized a problem.
however it only partially deals with the problem.
first the heel is still too low , and second, the angle of the cheekpiece will drive it straight into the cheekbone when it comes back.
the low heel will make the gun climb in recoil, making recovery skower, and it encourages a poor hold for natural shooting.
a good way to achieve good drop at heel is this.
a cleaning rod with a small diameter handle should clear the comb, just.
the heel should be 1/16" to 1/8" lower than the comb.
the rifle would be an excellent one if not let down badly by the stock dimensions.
bruce.

not wanting to offend, but the fact kevin put the strap on cheekpiece on tells that he recognized a problem.
however it only partially deals with the problem.
first the heel is still too low , and second, the angle of the cheekpiece will drive it straight into the cheekbone when it comes back.
the low heel will make the gun climb in recoil, making recovery skower, and it encourages a poor hold for natural shooting.
a good way to achieve good drop at heel is this.
a cleaning rod with a small diameter handle should clear the comb, just.
the heel should be 1/16" to 1/8" lower than the comb.
the rifle would be an excellent one if not let down badly by the stock dimensions.
bruce.
It makes a difference in how you approasch a shot. For the shooter whom prefers a heads up stance then the drop at comb and heel is not so much oif an issue as it its for those who shoot heads down. I uses 3/4 and 1 3/4 for comb and heel from center of bore for my 6.5x57 and it is a very comfortable rifle to shoot (for me)
1916 Erfurt.jpg

Hey Earl. Glad you found your ZG (I'll stop looking for you now LOL). I have a carbine version in 7x57, plus a 9.3x62. Your scope choice would work well for where you hunt. I have a 2-7 Nikon on my 7x57 and a Nikon 1.5-4x20 #4 German reticle on the 9.3

Thanks for all the interest, gents. Alaska rings finally showed up and they look like they were worth the wait. Simply flawless. Going to mount the scope this week and head to the range with a box of factory ammo. Can't wait till i get some handloads built.
Still looking for the elusive 7x64 or 9.3x62, or one of the various 8s.

Great Rifle. Congrats I have also used Alaska Arms ring and have been very pleased.

If this rifle fits you so well and the sight picture is right there every mount, it would be sacrilege to put a scope on it. It's a classic, use it classically!

Well, Mr Peacocke, it's funny you should say that. I'm looking at the rifle as i type this. Took it out of the safe and gave it a once over, planning on mounting the scope. It just looks so darn clean "as is" that i may well forgo the scope. Going to check the A.A rings and if they fit my CZ550 (which they should), then the Brno may well remain naked as the day it was made.

Nice looking rifle in a great caliber, good find

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LurleneLom

Latest profile posts

btheis13 wrote on migrabill's profile.
I love your zebra avatar! Is that yours? If so, would you mind sharing who did your taxidermy work?
Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning