Issues with the Artistry of Wildlife

I asked out of curiosity. I was told by Dennis its Walnut. I didn’t bother to ask what variety. When I ordered my stuff he asked what I wanted. I told him artist‘s choice, but I have traditional furnishings. He recommended what I got.

Having worked with walnut a bit over the years it looks to me that his wood doesn’t go through a process to raise the grain before sanding so it gets a matte look to the wood. (E.g. no stain conditioner applied)

The pedestals recently photographed by @Shootist43 , I think Dennis used Alder.

@Shootist43 I realize you're taking pics with iphone but could we see a few closer pics of the nose eyes etc. Those were areas that Denise really outperformed most everyone else in the world in the past. Other recent pieces by Denis seemed to lack that "touch" so I was just curious. They all appear to still be very solid pieces even if the finish work isn't the old school stuff quality but it might still be, I just couldn't tell.

Reactions: JHT
I don’t want anything I say to be viewed as a slight in any way. The animals are beautiful and I know the hunter is proud. However, it appears clear to me that the title of “World Champion” or “Best in the World” is open for the taking. Who’s it going to be?
Dennis may be mounting the next greatest piece as I type this; however, in my opinion, for him to really go out on top, he needs to be calling the next torch bearer with an offer such as, “I can send you X number of heads per year. Might I get 15% of said referrals?” However, for this to work, pride might have to be swallowed and the absolute best must be called. Of course, the rate could be negotiated. 15% was just an arbitrary starting point.

Here are a couple closeups (as requested) taken with my iPhone. Sorry all of these photos need to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise. First is the Zebra's nose second is the left eye, third is the right eye. If anyone knows how to rotate these photos feel free to do so.

IMG_1389 (002).jpg
IMG_1390 (002).jpg
IMG_1392 (002).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not posting to grind an axe. I just want to ensure I don't loose track of my bear. I've had my Alaskan brown bear with Dennis for nearly 2 years. In the beginning, before he had the stroke, he was very responsive but as most have stated it's been extremely rare for anyone to say they've had a reply of late. So, can anyone who has spoken, received an email or gone to his shop provide me with current contact information. This is what I have;
ARTISTRY OF WILDLIFE - 4015 Cherry Oak Drive, Marlette MI 48453
email: cremudgeon34@yahoo.com
phone: (810) 648-4800
I plan on contacting him to check on the status and possible drive up from Florida to recover the bear, regardless of the state of the mount completion.

I'm not posting to grind an axe. I just want to ensure I don't loose track of my bear. I've had my Alaskan brown bear with Dennis for nearly 2 years. In the beginning, before he had the stroke, he was very responsive but as most have stated it's been extremely rare for anyone to say they've had a reply of late. So, can anyone who has spoken, received an email or gone to his shop provide me with current contact information. This is what I have;
I plan on contacting him to check on the status and possible drive up from Florida to recover the bear, regardless of the state of the mount completion.

Two years is all ? :) You're barely inline. I know guys that have been waiting 4-5 yrs for stuff.

I will also note BASED ON A VERY LIMITED SAMPLE I have seen on here of completed work returned within the last 6 months that it appears the word class finish work Artistry of Wildlife was known for seems to have slipped. I have my suspicions that the person that used to do the finish work in no longer with the shop. The quality coming out is still above average but isn't going to be the show stopping finish work of the past I'm afraid. Just IMO.

Don't worry about a thing......

Alder makes sense- common wood for cabinet/furniture makers. The wood with character on one of pedestals, if alder, I think is called something like dark knotty alder. An attractive wood IMO. Fairly clear alder is AKA pecan. Of course stains can change the appearance of most any wood.

To prevent pics taking an unexpected rotation during loading, you can pre rotate them on iPhone. Open photo from gallery. Click on edit upper right part of screen. Click on rotate box lower right. Click on rotate box upper left for however many clicks required to bring to proper orientation. Click done. Somehow that fools the receiving software into thinking that it IS the orientation you REALLY want loaded.

To view and correct orientation of cock eyed pics that are already on site. Double click or click and hold to save to your gallery. Open from your gallery and click on edit upper right. Click on rotate box lower right. Click on rotate box on upper left until image is in proper rotation.

Good idea to learn above steps when posting pics so people will see the image for what it is as opposed to something out of kilter. I know I get tired of trying to view images in some odd orientation. Sometimes I don’t even bother trying to mess with out of whack images.

I have not been very active here but in the past I was following this thread about Dennis since his return to work. IMO once upon a time his work was outstanding. And if you choose to wait two years it appeared then it would be worth the wait. Now……nope! Unbelievable how the king could topple. I’ll stick with my guy who continues to provide outstanding quality and 90 day service if the client chooses.

Anyone heard anything lately ?

I’m pretty short on patience to begin with, but its truly unbelievable how long some of u have been waiting. ( whistle )

Ok, I’ll bite. I was impressed with his work and read he wasn’t taking new clients so I emailed him asking would he take mine or, in the alternative, would he recommended someone who was close to his level. He never responded. I also messaged one of his former employees for a reference but also, no response. And then I see pictures of his current work and am glad he didn’t respond. I flirted with another taxidermist but, like with Dennis, there were too many red flags so, just last week, I paid my deposit with Kanati. I felt (and still do) that they were the safe choice and, although I am captious, I am hoping their work will satisfy. I can report that communication thus far has been excellent.

@JHT. I have used Kanati for my last safari, from another poster on here. They were excellent to work with. I had a long conversation with them as to how I wanted work done. I had a pedestal mount for both my buff and sable. Was sent updates every couple of weeks and photos of work being done. They will do my next group from a planned 2023 trip. They delivered and set all of it up, making sure it was where I wanted it and that I was satisfied. I believe you have made a GREAT choice for your taxidermy work. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want specific details.

@JHT I think you’ll be happy with them as several members here have reported consistent, upper quality work and good communication.

Reactions: JHT
@JHT I think you’ll be happy with them as several members here have reported consistent, upper quality work and good communication.
I think so too. I can’t imagine them not trying to impress. I’m booked for buffalo, sable, leopard in 2023.

I think so too. I can’t imagine them not trying to impress. I’m booked for buffalo, sable, leopard in 2023.
I've visited Kanati's showroom up in PA. Very professional operation with a big crew all working on certain parts of the taxidermy.
They'll be doing my leopard and other mounts from our most recent safari.

20210306_125019.jpg

20210306_125008.jpg

20210306_125003.jpg

Last edited:
I've visited Kanati's showroom up in PA. Very professional operation with a big crew all working on certain parts of the taxidermy.
Wow…that’s an impressive looking taxidermy showroom!!

They'll be doing my leopard and other mounts from our most recent safari.

View attachment 448348

View attachment 448349

View attachment 448350
INCREDIBLE work but I am surprised that a Taxidermist of that skill level doesn't know how a Leopard carries a kill while climbing a tree....the Leopard is holding his kill mid-body, which is 100% unrealistic

Little things like that takes away from the realism of the mount

INCREDIBLE work but I am surprised that a Taxidermist of that skill level doesn't know how a Leopard carries a kill while climbing a tree....the Leopard is holding his kill mid-body, which is 100% unrealistic

Little things like that takes away from the realism of the mount
Agreed BUT maybe the customer might have wanted the smaller animal's horns/head to be more prominent so as not to hide it as a trophy and not just a leopard prop. Just saying there could be other reasons it was done that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg