Is It Big Enough?

Buffalo1

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Pope & Young Club; DSC; SCI; MS Bowhunters Assoc
Hunted
I am primarily a bowhunter but, I am considering a nilgai hunt in South Texas with a rifle. Most outfitters require a .300 magnum. I don't own a .300 magnum and not going to buy one. I have found an outfitter who will accept a hunter with a 30.06. Will be hunting over food plots. Shot distance should be around 100-150 yds.

The big question- Will a 30.06, shooting a 180 gr. Scirocco II bullet get the job done?

Thanks for your feedback and input.

Yes it will, seen it done a few times with an 06. All about the person behind the trigger. I would think about a bonded type bullet not sure the Scirocco is the best design for that hunt.

I am primarily a bowhunter but, I am considering a nilgai hunt in South Texas with a rifle. Most outfitters require a .300 magnum. I don't own a .300 magnum and not going to buy one. I have found an outfitter who will accept a hunter with a 30.06. Will be hunting over food plots. Shot distance should be around 100-150 yds.

The big question- Will a 30.06, shooting a 180 gr. Scirocco II bullet get the job done?

Thanks for your feedback and input.
Yes but. A Nilgai bull is the size of a blue wildebeest with the same tenacity. A 30-06 will take either, but a deep penetrating bullet is important. That is not a description I would use for the Scirocco. A 180 gr something in the TSX family, an A Frame, or even the old partition would be a better choice. Assuming you are hunting your bull free range in South Texas, it is important to remember that putting him down quickly is important. The thick tall coastal savannah makes tracking difficult, and no one has any bushmen on staff. Whatever bullet and caliber you use, keep hitting him until he is down.

If you are hunting on a fenced game ranch (food plot?), then he is a different animal and a very different hunt. Hit him solidly and you will find him.

My wife shot hers with a 7x57 150gr. Power Point . 200 yd shot and he dropped in 50 yds. I shot mine at 150 yds with a 7mmag 160 grain A Frame. Took out front shoulder but turned and went out front of the chest. Tracked him for a half mile and shot him as he was getting out of his bed. It's all about shot placement.

I took mine with a 7 mag 150 grain core lokt in 2006. 30-06 is more than enough, those nilgai dudes are so intense about caliber minimums, I feel there are a lot of marginal shots taken because of the hunting style. It was a perfect shot but it did need a follow up- what a great hunt. Enjoy!

You’ll be fine with a 30-06, but as others have said, I’d recommend a quality 180 grain or heavier bullet such as TSX, Nosler Partition, Bearclaw or A frame. A cutting Edge Raptor would also be an excellent bullet.

I have shot several Nilgai over the years with my 7x57mm Mauser and the old Winchester Super X 175Gr soft nose factory loaded cartridge. They all dropped with one shot. Currently, I use Hendershots Custom Loaded Ammunition employing the 175Gr Hornady Interlock. I couldn't be more pleased. I've used that load on 2 Nilgai bulls till now.

IMG-20220806-WA0020.jpg

I've shot 4 Nilgai with .30-06 Springfield rifles, always preferring to use the 220Gr Remington Core Lokt factory loaded cartridges. Performance was very satisfactory, even though today most younger hunters treat the old pattern cup & core bullet as a joke.

The only Nilgai which gave me a very difficult time, was one that I had shot in '75 with a .30-06 Springfield and 220Gr Winchester Silver Tip soft nosed cartridges. The bullet practically disintegrated upon hitting the huge antelope's scapula. Fortunately, he was eventually followed up and dispatched by another hunter in the party (using a .35 Remington and 200Gr Remington Core Lokt soft nosed cartridges). Seeing what remained of the fragments of the Winchester Silver Tip bullet and the amount of damage that it had done to the Nilgai’s shoulder (or rather lack thereof)… I pretty much swore off Winchester Silver Tips for life. Fortunately, the beastly things aren’t even being manufactured anymore).

Last edited:
30-06 no problem, good bullet & shot placement. I used a 165 TSX 300 WSM, dropped it, no exit from tough hide, all petals sheared off on recovered bullet.

My son used a 300WM with 180gr failsafe (473 yards), shot mine with a 6.5CM 140gr Amax (I did shoot it in the neck at 50 yards). Both dropped to the shot. Like others have said, a good bullet in the right place, it will go down.

I would say that there is very little difference in killing ability between 30-06 and 300 win mag inside of 200(maybe even 300 m ) and if your rifle will shoot a 220 gr bullet(mine does) then that is a great choice for short range hunting( you mention food plots). Otherwise 180 gr bonded or mons are good enough for eland so nilgai will go down if you hit them right.

Based on the 100-150 yard range stated in the OP.. I would think a 30-06 would be just fine...

I do agree with others that have advised to go with a better bullet.. while there is nothing wrong with a scirocco in general, I'd look at either a quality mono metal like the TTSX or a quality bonded bullet like the A-Frame.. Nilgai are notoriously tough critters with thick/heavy bone structure, and fairly heavily built..

Since youre looking at closer ranges, I might consider going heavier than 180gr as well.. I'd personally probably opt for a 200 gr TSX or TTSX (last I checked TTSX were hard to come by in 200gr.. midway has been sold out of them for a long time.. but TSX were available in a few different places)..

I'd shoot one with a 30.06, I prefer federal trophy bonded tips for bullets but any of the better premium bullets will do the job. Mine worked great on a big stallion zebra. They can't be tougher than a zebra lol

The Scirroco is a bonded/premium bullet and will give the same performance as a partition, a frame etc. or maybe better and will penetrate deep. Go for it in the 30-06.

I spoke with Barnes Ammo Co. this aft. They recommend the Barnes TTSX 180 in the 30.06 for nilgai.

I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions for my question.

Tkx
Good choice, a 06 180 ttsx is plenty, a 300wm is only a couple hundred FPS faster
I have guided clients on nilgai using 7RM , 303 British , 8x57 Mauser , 35 whelen and other non magnum . Just keep your shots - 300 yards
a 375h&h , 8mm mag , 9.6x62 are good medicine to
we had some commercial meat hunters who shot 200+ nilgai using 8mm Mauser 190gr SP

30.06 will be fine. The key it shot placement as we shoot them in the neck. They all drop like a rock when you accurately shoot them there.

HH

The Scirroco is a bonded/premium bullet and will give the same performance as a partition, a frame etc. or maybe better and will penetrate deep. Go for it in the 30-06.
Would never be the same class as an Aframe....nevermind better....

I used Accubond 180s in a .30-06 for blue wildebeest and zebra. The gnu flopped to the shot and the zebra reared up a few times but didn't go 20 yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg