Is Blaser Trying To Price Themselves Out Of The American Market???

Maybe I am missing something why would be a requirement for night hunting? I know of a lot of dead leopard & hyena that might disagree with you.

By the way suppressors are illegal in Zimbabwe, does that mean no night hunting. I certainly do not think I am disadvantaged by not having a suppressor on my pre war Rigby .416.

Lon
When using night vision the muzzle flash blooms the sensor. Flashhider also works but suppressor works alot better, especially if taking multiple shots on incoming predators or pigs because they can't pinpoint where the sonic crack is coming from.

For those that have them, you don't know how lucky you are. Possession in my state would make me a felon. They are 100% illegal. Same goes for full auto weapons.

Maybe I am missing something why would be a requirement for night hunting? I know of a lot of dead leopard & hyena that might disagree with you.

By the way suppressors are illegal in Zimbabwe, does that mean no night hunting. I certainly do not think I am disadvantaged by not having a suppressor on my pre war Rigby .416.

Lon
Gunshots are not common in US at night. It is polite to neighbors to limit the noise, especially while people are sleeping.

I don't shoot 20" barrels except on a self-defense weapon or an AR. And I don't think I'll let you lecture me.

I will not buy a threaded R8 barrel. All of mine are equipped with open sights - something else I won't hunt in Africa without.
When Blaser threads your barrel in the US, they install open sights for free if you ask. Most of my R8 barrels are threaded and have open sights.

Lon
Back to the tradition/environment evaluation: I think in the USA, night hunting is typically coyotes, where more than one shot is hoped for. I have night hunted in England where the goal was to get more than one shot.

In Zim, I can imagine that is not the tradition!

I’ve never hunted leopard, nor have I night hunted in Africa. I hope to remedy that lack of experience this year.

When Blaser threads your barrel in the US, they install open sights for free if you ask. Most of my R8 barrels are threaded and have open sights.
But that prevents the use of a sleeved suppressor. Indeed Blaser notes in the advertisement posted earlier in this thread that their suppressor can only be used with a barrel without sights. I have no desire to hang a suppressor off the end of an actual hunting rifle, R8 or otherwise, even if is made from unobtainium and weightless. That said, for many wanting a threaded barrel for such a suppressor or, God forbid, a muzzle brake :cool: that would be the route to go with a R8.

Back to the tradition/environment evaluation: I think in the USA, night hunting is typically coyotes, where more than one shot is hoped for. I have night hunted in England where the goal was to get more than one shot.

In Zim, I can imagine that is not the tradition!

I’ve never hunted leopard, nor have I night hunted in Africa. I hope to remedy that lack of experience this year.
As I have noted, the use of suppressors for hunting coyotes or feral hogs is very common in the States particularly so here in Texas. Those suppressors are typically combined with an AR of some sort and a thermal scope. That is not the rifle most carry deer hunting. The more I have dug into this since this thread began, the more certain I am that suppressor use for big game hunting in this country is still below 20% of those afield. Among my personal acquaintances, it is maybe 2%.

As I have noted, the use of suppressors for hunting coyotes or feral hogs is very common in the States particularly so here in Texas. Those suppressors are typically combined with an AR of some sort and a thermal scope. That is not the rifle most carry deer hunting. The more I have dug into this since this thread began, the more certain I am that suppressor use for big game hunting in this country is still below 20% of those afield. Among my personal acquaintances, it is maybe 2%.
I’d be surprised if the number of suppressor users in the USA was 20% of the hunting population. I would guess much lower. But, it is increasing, albeit slowly.

They are easy to add on to another rifle, so hunting parties will expand use. All it takes is one guy in a core hunting group to get something new and functional. They aren’t as easy to get as a leatherman (remember when those started!).

For about a dollar I can get ear plugs. The work great for a single weekend of hunting. Were I a one-deer-a-year hunter, I would not see great value in a suppressor. If we did a study of total animals taken per year and total shots fired both hunting and at the range, I would expect to see a strong correlation between suppressor use and higher shooting/harvest numbers.

For about a dollar I can get ear plugs. The work great for a single weekend of hunting. Were I a one-deer-a-year hunter, I would not see great value in a suppressor.

The US is very different than the UK in terms of its gun culture…

Gun owners here tend to have a multitude of firearms… and most of those firearms owners are not hunters..

The overwhelming majority of suppressor owners in the US are also not hunters…

I’m guessing… but I’d estimate a full 90% or more of suppressor owners in the US have them simply because they are”fun”… they serve zero practical purpose for work, hunting, etc.. they don’t even have their suppressors attached to their home defense firearms… they’re just another “toy” in the safe that gets played with on occasional weekends…

ARs,suppressors, “combat” shotguns, “race” handguns, etc are largely owned by people here for no other reason “because we can”… only a small fraction of those types of items sold in the US are owned by people that have a practical need or actually use them for a practical purpose…

Among my group of hunters and shooters it's one guy that has one for his AR. Even the two avid prairie dog shooters don't use them. I really don't know why? Cost? The hassle, real or perceived, of getting one? I don't know. I'll ask them.

Gunshots are not common in US at night. It is polite to neighbors to limit the noise, especially while people are sleeping.

Uh no? :oops:

Lon
Lon they are used at night because their primary hunting purpose in this country is for feral hogs and coyotes which are often hunted at night. Neither animal typically travels alone, so a suppressor is used to offer a higher likelihood of shooting a second or even third animal. Most are mounted on an AR equipped with some sort of a thermal site. Quite a large bit of the industry here has been created around developing larger or sometimes subsonic rounds that will fit an AR platform and better deal with a large hog.

Last edited:
In the spirit of staying off topic, I must say I have the ultimate suppressor system. I simply remove my hearing aids. It lowers the noise level of all of my firearms to a comfortable, or barely noticeable level and even muffles an angry Colombian woman. :LOL::LOL:

Safe shooting

The devolvement of these threads into totally irrelevant subjects, and the ensuing arguments that follow are quite comical. I'm off to start a dick measuring thread now. What section should that go in? Lol!
Toby,

Regardless of what section you put the dick measuring thread in, it should have R8 in the title.

R8 and dick measuring seem to go hand in hand.

Uh no? :oops:

Lon they are used at night because their primary hunting purpose in this country is for feral hogs and coyotes which are often hunted at night. Neither animal typically travels alone, so a suppressor is used to offer a higher likelihood of shooting a second or even third animal. Most are mounted on an AR equipped with some sort of a thermal site. Quite a large bit of the industry here has been created around developing larger or sometimes subsonic rounds that will fit an AR platform and better deal with a large hog.
Dude. Just stop replying to my posts. Go find someone else to harass.

In the spirit of staying off topic, I must say I have the ultimate suppressor system. I simply remove my hearing aids. It lowers the noise level of all of my firearms to a comfortable, or barely noticeable level and even muffles an angry Colombian woman. :LOL::LOL:

Safe shooting
Funny. Maybe the years of not using hearing protection while shooting is finally paying off!

Toby,

Regardless of what section you put the dick measuring thread in, it should have R8 in the title.

R8 and dick measuring seem to go hand in hand.
Well I can assure you, mine is bigger than yours. My R8 I mean....LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abferrell60

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.