Is Blaser Trying To Price Themselves Out Of The American Market???

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
As some of you may know, I have owned several and still own a couple Blaser R8 rifles and barrels. So I guess you can mark me down as a fan. I have had good success with them in every aspect. They are accurate, deadly and dependable, for lack of better words. However, I can't help but wonder just how many more price increases are they going to have before they price themselves out of the US market? Thoughts?

I was speaking on the phone yesterday with another AH member about buying a Blaser R8 and how to do it and not have to take out a second mortgage. In essence, it's being patient and buying used.

I've bought both new and used but it's been a couple of years since I did so. Looking at prices now I may not have made the same decision today that I did back then. My paycheck has not increased at the same rate of inflation that our nation is experiencing. Let's go Brandon...f'n idiot.

I believe Blaser is adjusting their price according to the rate of inflation and in doing so could be pricing themselves out of the US market. Time will tell. One thing I do know is that once prices go up, they are not likely to come back down.

Last edited:
True everything is going up. Me and my wife were at Costco the other day and the price of Olive oil has doubled. Wow
That is the reason you should jump on something you like and find a good deal. I think a found a good one 25% off on a Sauer 404 very similar to Blaser and went for it…

@TOBY458 what are you seeing for pricing? I haven’t priced components or rifles in 2 years.

The product is so good that I wouldn’t hesitate to buy used components. It is really a niche market. 10 years ago I would not have considered an R8 because my Winchester worked great. It only made sense to look at the R8 after I started traveling a lot more for hunting.

I suppose one you buy the initial parts, you are stuck with the additions. But, adding just a barrel is still the same price as buying a Winchester.

I just looked over at Europtic and a brand new green Professional stock/receiver is $2172 and a standard .300 WM barrel is $1496. Bolt and bolt head adds another $1000. Rings and Base add an additional $526. A new complete .300 Win Mag would then be around $5200. Of course one can then add a new .375 "rifle" for $1496. I don't see that as all that unreasonable.

Griffin & Howe is selling new complete Professional rifles less the rings and base in standard calibers for around $4200.

Blaser is, compared to American companies, a small company with a very limited output.
Selling their products to Russia via India or one of the another rogue states, does make much more profit, than selling to the US.
Russian "higher earners" easily can afford their complete production,.....without hesitation.

HWL

I checked some of the boutique companies now building 100% custom rifles and compared to the Blaser, it's a bargain. Prices are anywhere from five to over ten thousand and that's just a one barrel, one cartridge rifle. Arrowhead's start at four thousand and Gunwerks, around six thousand and on up to a lot more than ten thousand.

I thought I’d never buy a Blaser R8 but the convenient break down and easy transport combined with multiple barrels finally convinced me. The product is good. The prices have continued to escalate to a point that I don’t understand. The cost of a QD scope mount is now over $500!

In the UK and I assume Europe all barrels are threaded, I don’t understand why the US market barrels are not threaded.

As new prices increase, used prices increase, people are selling used guns at a profit! Nothing about buying a Blaser or accessories is cheap. 2 years ago I was buying barrels new for $1,000 today they are just about $1,500, a 50% price increase in 2 years!

If money is tight stay away from the Blaser as it’s like a disease as you keep buying barrels, bolt heads and scope mounts. What’s even worse is that I convinced myself I would effectively replace and sell a few rifles as part of the move to Blaser but it’s hard to part with those old friends that have been such reliable rifles.

Last edited:
In the UK and I assume Europe all barrels are threaded, I don’t understand why the US market barrels are not threaded.
I have not hunted with a R8 in the UK, but all the ones I have used on the Continent were unthreaded. In the States the vast majority of threaded rifles are for muzzle brakes. Suppressors are difficult to own legally and are thus very rare on hunting rifles. Though I am sure they are employed, I have also never used or even seen a suppressor in use on the Continent.

They are accurate, deadly and dependable,
Maybe they will be bought by Hornady, there is already a slogan?
O, thats a joke.

EUR currency is facing deflation. On paper it does not look too bad, bud it is very much visible in retail prices in local gunshops for ammo and firearms . I am certain this affects pricing overseas.

Most (if not all) European gun makers do not produce budget rifles, mostly they produce mid level and high end guns. And market consumers are used to this.
On the other hand, in America with big market for budget guns in Walmart, most probably the difference between very shootable and economic mossberg or ruger american, to Blaser R8, will be very visible and shocking to majority of the market. But I dont think Blaser will loose the market
I assume Europe all barrels are threaded,
Negative.
Most of the countries in Europe do not yet allow suppressors. But public debates are ongoing, I beleive more and more countries will legalize in foreseeable future

Blaser is an S-Class Mercedes. It's not a bespoke rifle nor is it a Walmart special.

I for one am perfectly happy if they raise prices. That's because the product is excellent. If they started competing on price, they would have to cut quality. They have a market niche and they are wise to stay in it. Not every company wants to own the entire market.

Blaser is an S-Class Mercedes. It's not a bespoke rifle nor is it a Walmart special.

I for one am perfectly happy if they raise prices. That's because the product is excellent. If they started competing on price, they would have to cut quality. They have a market niche and they are wise to stay in it. Not every company wants to own the entire market.
More than one company has forgotten that to their eventual regret.

I have not hunted with a R8 in the UK, but all the ones I have used on the Continent were unthreaded. In the States the vast majority of threaded rifles are for muzzle brakes. Suppressors are difficult to own legally and are thus very rare on hunting rifles. Though I am sure they are employed, I have also never used or even seen a suppressor in use on the Continent.
In the uk it is rare to see a Blaser for sale that is not threaded as are most rifles, I own another R8 there in .308 mainly for deer, most hunters are using suppressors that are half over the barrel for better weight balance. In Michigan we have been able to buy suppressors for some years now, I have a lot of my rifles threaded for hunting use and have a number of suppressors . I have yet to see over the barrel suppressors generally available in the US but I believe laws stop the import of suppressors. Cost of US suppressors are typically at least 2 or 3 times the UK cost plus the tax stamp.

Great thing about having an R8 in both places, is the ability of just being able to travel with just another barrel and bolt head if I have a trip in Europe based on a caliber change, just need to have paperwork in order both ends for easy travel.

Overall I’ve been very pleased with the R8 quality and performance and the discrete portability is excellent, I guess it all comes at a cost as do most things in life.

I purchased a third R8 late last year as a 21st birthday gift for my son, unfortunately I selected barrels in 3 calibers that I already own as we are normally using the same calibers when hunting together, he is also left handed and loved the thumb hole stock I had on mine, in total we have 9 barrels all together. I managed to buy this package before the latest price increases and Cove Creek did me a great package for being a regular buyer. I just purchased 4 additional quick release after market scope mounts and rings at $289 each as I like a scope on each barrel, the current Blaser QD mount cost of $525 was just too unpalatable

Someone mentioned an S Class Mercedes, I have one of those and I know for sure the resale value % of my Blaser will far outreach that of my S class Merc! The way prices are going my Blaser may just sell at a profit in the future!

IMG_0175.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Accurate, interchangeable barrel, QD mounts. If an American manufacture can do that for $5000 there might be competition, but I would still end up buying the R8 because the safety system is so ideal. I bought my kids R8’s because the safety is absolutely worth the additional expense to me. Oh, and I can use “their” barrels when I want.
Additionally, it cost me around $700 to make the R8 professional stock into a left hand rifle. (Sister, nephew and best friend are lefties)

The price jump doesn’t seem to match inflation, but I wonder if it matches demand?

I have always thought I would like to try a Blaser but to me the price doesn't justify it.With careful planning I can have a rifle built to my specifications on a synthetic stock for less than a Blaser.I do like the interchangeable barrel option and that it is easy to travel with but I guess I'm old school.

I thought I’d never buy a Blaser R8 but the convenient break down and easy transport combined with multiple barrels finally convinced me. The product is good. The prices have continued to escalate to a point that I don’t understand. The cost of a QD scope mount is now over $500!

As new prices increase, used prices increase, people are selling used guns at a profit! Nothing about buying a Blaser or accessories is cheap. 2 years ago I was buying barrels new for $1,000 today they are just about $1,500, a 50% price increase in 2 years!

If money is tight stay away from the Blaser as it’s like a disease as you keep buying barrels, bolt heads and scope mounts. What’s even worse is that I convinced myself I would effectively replace and sell a few rifles as part of the move to Blaser but it’s hard to part with those old friends that have been such reliable rifles.
I’ve had exactly your experience, down to the plan to sell other rifles that I just haven’t. Ha

I agree with most everything that's been said about the economy, buying used, ect. I was mostly just wondering if the new prices are going to keep going up so high that the average gun buyer can no longer afford them. Let's face it, we on this forum are more the exception, and not the norm among gun buyers. I've definitely been on the good side of some used deals and have thus passed those savings along to some members here when I decided to sell.
Mostly I'm bored sitting at the hospital with my dad, and needed to get something going to keep my mind occupied.

I was speaking on the phone yesterday with another AH member about buying a Blaser R8 and how to do it and not have to take out a second mortgage. In essence, it's being patient and buying used.

I've bought both new and used but it's been a couple of years since I did so. Looking at prices now I may not have made the same decision today that I did back then. My paycheck has not increased at the same rate of inflation that our nation is experiencing. Let's go Brandon...f'n idiot.

I believe Blaser is adjusting their price according to the rate of inflation and in doing so could be pricing themselves out of the US market. Time will tell. One thing I do know is that once prices go up, they are not likely to come back down.
I believe you have personally been in on a good deal from your's truly.... As you know, I've done a lot of buying and selling R8 rifles and I seem to have a couple in the safe at all times now. They are a bit addictive for sure.

I agree with most everything that's been said about the economy, buying used, ect. I was mostly just wondering if the new prices are going to keep going up so high that the average gun buyer can no longer afford them. Let's face it, we on this forum are more the exception, and not the norm among gun buyers. I've definitely been on the good side of some used deals and have thus passed those savings along to some members here when I decided to sell.
Mostly I'm bored sitting at the hospital with my dad, and needed to get something going to keep my mind occupied.
I doubt they care at all about the average American gun buyer. That’s not their market.

Remember, the USA is rather unusual in that hunting is for everyone here. In other parts of the world, hunting tends to be a pastime of the landed class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeinR

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt