Is any kind of hearing protection used on safari?

This method has seemed popular with some PH's.
Imagine your rifle rested over this guys shoulder. (I'm not kidding)

holding-ears.jpg

Last edited:
I always use little orange plugs as a minimum..

This method has seemed popular with some PH's.
Imagine your rifle rested over this guys shoulder. (I'm not kidding)

View attachment 359696

When I did the stalk on my black wildebeast my PH had the tracker pack the shooting sticks. Sad thing was that the tracker ended up 50 yards behind us once I got to where I could shoot from. My PH patted himself on the shoulder and I knew what he meant. I whispered to him that I would tell him when I was ready and then count to three. My rifle was resting on his shoulder just below his right ear he plugged his ears and I took the shot.

It would of been fun getting a picture of that, but you have to do what you have to do.

I use westone defend ear custom molded aids. My hearing is bad so I try to protect myself as much as possible nowadays but still want to have speech amplified. Work pretty well but also aren't even close to be in the same ballpark for hearing quality compared to my hearing aids.

Without protection the ringing in my ears increases to the point of being uncomfortable even after 1 shot. I wear walker game ear plugs and i can also hear the PH when he's talking to me.

Wife and I wear double hearing protection at our indoor range.
Custom plugs with muffs over that because several people shoot with a brake.
When we shoot at the range, we take off the muffs because they hit the rifle stock.

When hunting in Africa, I began with wearing my custom plugs.
That didn't work well because I couldn't hear my PH as well as I should.
Took the plugs out and my left ear started taking abuse, because it's closest to the barrel.
Went to wearing just the left plug, that seemed to work well as a compromise.
At least until I get custom noise canceling plugs...man those things are pricey.

At least until I get custom noise canceling plugs...man those things are pricey.

They are, but well worth the cost. As I mentioned earlier it actually amplifies normal sound (adjustable sound level) so hearing the PH, game or others at the range is not a problem. Also, no issue having them in your ear for hours due to custom fit. That was one of my main reasons for getting them. An USPSA match can be 6 hours or more and it was uncomfortable with the over the ears protection not to mention the wind noise at times.

If you shoot on a regular basis then it is well worth it. If you just want to wear them for an occasional trip to the range or a hunting trip then it would be tough to justify.

You still have to double up in indoor ranges though.

They are, but well worth the cost. As I mentioned earlier it actually amplifies normal sound (adjustable sound level) so hearing the PH, game or others at the range is not a problem. Also, no issue having them in your ear for hours due to custom fit. That was one of my main reasons for getting them. An USPSA match can be 6 hours or more and it was uncomfortable with the over the ears protection not to mention the wind noise at times.

If you shoot on a regular basis then it is well worth it. If you just want to wear them for an occasional trip to the range or a hunting trip then it would be tough to justify.

You still have to double up in indoor ranges though.
I have 3 sets of custom plugs, but none have the noise cancelation.
I wear them for work, motorcycling and shooting.
And just like you, I can be in them for several hours at a time, comfort is a top priority.

I need a set with that noise canceling, and should get a set for the Mrs as well.
Just not looking forward to the audiologist appointment.
Always like to go first thing on a Monday so my ears have had the weekend to rest.

The rifle range is it's own thing...and it's not hunting.
It's kinda fun when my wife (shooting a 375) looks at a guy like a wimp for having a brake on his 6.5.
Doubling up when we are there is just the smart thing to do.

I don't shoot even one shot without wearing hearing protection any more. I use and like several styles, depending on the situation. At a minimum, while hunting I wear plugs with internal valves in a central cylinder that allow most high pitched sounds and most conversation through, but filter out muzzle blasts. Better are the electronic amplifying plugs or muffs. Comfortable fit is very important. It is usually not difficult to predict when a shot opportunity is imminent, and that's normally when I put on, or put in my protection.

Absolutely! You can and SHOULD have some form of ear protection when hunting. The choices are many and varied as are prices of things. I like to use muffs that enhance hearing but cut off the sound of the shot. Sometimes they can be a PITA when not on a stalk, but when things are getting serious, they are put on the head and volume turned up to help your hearing. I need all the help I can get and don't wish to damage what hearing I still have, so protection is mandatory for me.
Some will say things like, "well you don't even notice the noise of the shot when shooting at game". This is just sheer folly as while I agree the noise isn't noticed as much, the decibels don't change, and your ears will still receive the damage.

I like to use the foam ear plugs that are connected to each other with hard plastic band. I keep them around my neck until it is time to shoot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 3.53.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 3.53.10 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 187
My .02; I have heating aids in both ears. They cancel “excessive sounds” yet are sensitive enough for conversations with my PH/Guide.

Though I don’t wear any hunting large game. (1or 2 shots) I always have a pair of foam 3M plugs in pocket. I work in a high noise environment and need them.

They had a suppressor on my loan rifle.
I use protection on the range, and maybe for 1-2 shots if I’m hunting it home

I think in the course of 20 years of hunting I’ve only fired a half dozen shots without ear protection.

On safari I prefer in the war electronic plugs. I also keep a couple sets of foamies in a pocket. Generally speaking, when we hit the final stalk the left gets fully inserted and the right plug is in my fingers. The moment things get edgy (Like the guide starts fiddling with the sticks) the right goes in.

I’m only 51 and my hearing is pretty darn good all things considered. Personally I’d like to die without needing hearing aids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.