Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, SCI, NRA, CCA, Quail Coalition
Hunted
Tanzania, Mozambique, Namibia, Zim, South Africa
I’m headed to TZ in a couple weeks and am planning on getting one of these or something similar for my time out in the bush. Is this something anyone on here has used much while remote in Africa or anywhere else around the world? If so what are your thoughts on it? I am needing to be able to stay in touch with my office to a certain extent by being able to email back if they need something from me and take a phone call if need be. Also I want to be able to email/call my family as well of course. From what I can tell the Iridium has their own proprietary email app or something like that. Is this all you can use to send emails? Also can you access webpages as well? Is it mainly just to be used by your Cell phone and/or iPad or can you get a computer hooked up to it? Thanks for your help on this and yes I know I shouldn’t be worrying about this but being gone for 3 weeks without accessing emails just isn’t going to work at this time for my businesses.

Speak to the supplier who you are getting the phone from......if they can't give you the info then find a supplier who knows what they are talking about. There are other makes apart from Imodium that might be better suited for what you require. ..but they will be best to inform you.....

I can’t comment on the go but I can say without a doubt that I have not been anywhere in the world yet that I haven’t had a SAT Link with iridium. I had a different service that had a lot of dead zones. Iridium is truly world wide coverage.
They are nice to have and a great insurance policy when hunting solo as much as I do. My favorite part though is the O-F-F button.

Speak to the supplier who you are getting the phone from......if they can't give you the info then find a supplier who knows what they are talking about. There are other makes apart from Imodium that might be better suited for what you require. ..but they will be best to inform you.....

Not sure where Imodium came from.....:D...but always handy to have when travelling. ...:A Outta::A Thumbs Up:

Inmarsat is another world wide coverage one...I have a Thuraya phone which is fine here but doesn't cover all areas of the world. I also have an inmarsat hand held but the charging cable went walkabout so will get a new one next time in UK.
Just checked out the iridium go...looks like everything you need...not checked out updates on Sat phones for a while ..so interesting to see the "new stuff"

Last edited:
Keep in mind Internet through Iridium is extremely slow - 2.4kbs. The phone service works ok though, I’ve used it extensively at sea and in remote Australia. Thuraya offers much faster Internet. Closer to the equator the quality of Inmarsat can be better than Iridium due to geostationery satellite configuration, opposite is true closer to the poles. Also Iridium has advantages in deeper valleys. If you can’t get direct line of sight to the satellite the device can’t work, with stationery satellites if you don’t “see” the satellite you will not be able to do anything. With Iridium there is a high number of satellites that are not on fixed orbits so more likely than not you’ll have reception anywhere and if you do not, you’re likely to get one within a reasonable amount of time often enough or at least for long enough to be able to send text messages.

Not sure where Imodium came from.....:D...but always handy to have when travelling. ...:A Outta::A Thumbs Up:
Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 08.04.04.png

Might have something to say Mike......

I can’t comment on the go but I can say without a doubt that I have not been anywhere in the world yet that I haven’t had a SAT Link with iridium. I had a different service that had a lot of dead zones. Iridium is truly world wide coverage.
They are nice to have and a great insurance policy when hunting solo as much as I do. My favorite part though is the O-F-F button.

Yep. Gotta agree with @bullthrower. Great to have, especially on the longer hunts. Gotta find a nice clearing with open space above so you don’t get cut off, but only about 1/2-1 acre. And yes, don’t abuse like you do cell or wifi in SA. Turn that thing off unless you truly need to talk to someone.

I’m headed to TZ in a couple weeks and am planning on getting one of these or something similar for my time out in the bush. Is this something anyone on here has used much while remote in Africa or anywhere else around the world? If so what are your thoughts on it? I am needing to be able to stay in touch with my office to a certain extent by being able to email back if they need something from me and take a phone call if need be. Also I want to be able to email/call my family as well of course. From what I can tell the Iridium has their own proprietary email app or something like that. Is this all you can use to send emails? Also can you access webpages as well? Is it mainly just to be used by your Cell phone and/or iPad or can you get a computer hooked up to it? Thanks for your help on this and yes I know I shouldn’t be worrying about this but being gone for 3 weeks without accessing emails just isn’t going to work at this time for my businesses.
I have an Iridium Extreme phone and it has served me well. I use Explorer Satellite for everything so call them and they will help you with exactly what you need. they are always at SCI and have a booth so you can speak to them in person.
I am sure Iridium Go will work for you just don’t let it ruin your Safari!
Philip

I have the Iridium Go, and have been disappointed in it. It works fine as a phone, and sending texts is much easier since you use your phone. That said, however, the email and internet capability is difficult to set up and receiving texts have been problematic. If I were to do it again, I would get a Garmin Inreach, and a Go or Extreme just for voice calls.

Ended up going with the iSavi. Was told this is a better option that the Go for what I was looking for. I guess we will see in a couple days. Thx for all the help!!

I have an Iridium Go and have used them on several international trips I’ve been on. The service is pretty slow, but there’s really not many options that are faster via satcom. I purchased mine and my plane through Roadpost USA Inc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg