With the .243 lumped in they stay,
On lesser game they're forced to prey.
On the African Savannah you hear them roar,
At hyenas, impalas and wild boar.
With Dagga Boys they cannot play,
And with the .243's they must stay.
So shout and drink your .35 sorrows away,
Cuz with .243's you must stay.
Uh oh, we have a burgeoning poet now. Bob, me thinks you have WAY TOO MUCH time on your hands?

The mighty fists of .358 righteousness,
Didn't make the DG power list,
With the .243 lumped in they stay,
On lesser game they're forced to prey.
On the African Savannah you hear them roar,
At hyenas, impalas and wild boar.
With Dagga Boys they cannot play,
And with the .243's they must stay.
So shout and drink your .35 sorrows away,
Cuz with .243's you must stay.
@Forrest Halley
It may not have made the DG lis but it's because of the size not the power. Power wise it is fine .
The horrible little 243 is fine on any a game smaller than field mice but on the game you mentioned it will never do
Forrest If'n y'all keep insulting the mighty Whelen be prepared for your son loving it as I might just have to give him my Whelen AI
Bob

Uh oh, we have a burgeoning poet now. Bob, me thinks you have WAY TOO MUCH time on your hands?
@CoElkHunter
When you are bored shitless because you can't go anywhere you would be the same. Figured I may as well stir the pot a bit.
Bob

That was literally five minutes of my life to produce.
@Forrest Halley
It may not have made the DG lis but it's because of the size not the power. Power wise it is fine .
The horrible little 243 is fine on any a game smaller than field mice but on the game you mentioned it will never do
Forrest If'n y'all keep insulting the mighty Whelen be prepared for your son loving it as I might just have to give him my Whelen AI
Bob
Oh no he's going to gift my kid something! I can hear the laughter from here as he envisions me loading up hundreds of pieces of brass. Ha!

You know as much fun as we have going on about this you'd need a roadmap to get back to the OP. I'm thinking there will be future hesitation about anything to do with the .35 Whelan or the .243 from the masses. Haha

That was literally five minutes of my life to produce.

Oh no he's going to gift my kid something! I can hear the laughter from here as he envisions me loading up hundreds of pieces of brass. Ha!

You know as much fun as we have going on about this you'd need a roadmap to get back to the OP. I'm thinking there will be future hesitation about anything to do with the .35 Whelan or the .243 from the masses. Haha
@Forrest Halley
That way I know he has at least ONE rifle in his little that is actually capable of taking game. Ain't nought wrong with a good 35.
Bib

@Forrest Halley
That way I know he has at least ONE rifle in his little that is actually capable of taking game. Ain't nought wrong with a good 35.
Bib
I'm never going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Although he'll have quite a few options in .30 bore to choose from and even a .45-70 barrel for an Encore to keep tracking to a minimum.

I just noticed this thread is over a year old? I’m sure by now Stoppelman has found himself an 1895 chambered in 6.5 CR and now his Whelen is sitting in his safe?
Actually it has gone the way of all things Toby. Down the road and on to other interests. Current love interests are my 8x64s and another Golden Oldie, a Remington model 14 pump rifle in .32 Rem!
Took that sucker to the range today and shot it and its great. It has a vintage Lyman 2.5X Perma Center scope on it with post and crosshair. A real funner!
IMG_1916.JPG

I have become a bit of a nut in the past few years of the Model 1895 Winchester and Browning versions thereof. I have a great shooting Browning in .30-40 Krag, a Winchester in .405 Win, my 3rd!
Been thinking of getting one of the newer made Miroku rifles in .30-06 which are making the rounds again finally. Had also been sort of keen on getting one in .35 Winchester but ammo is old, scarce and very costly, :eek:brass the same. About the only way to get brass is roll your own either from also scarce .405 Win brass, or form it from .30-40 Krag, which works but the cases will be short.
But then I saw this pop up the other day on Gunbroker. Its a Browning version that had been rebarreled by Harry McGowen to .35 Whelen. Pad added with LOP of 14", about right. Also has a Williams Peep sight added, another plus as Browning versions, at least grade 1 were not drilled for sights.
I plan to load this to more or less .35 Win ballistics which are about on par with the .358 Winchester. Believe the rifle would handle Whelen factory loads allright and will probably shoot some that I have with 200 gr bullets (Remington) for the brass, but no plan to try to shoot full house Whelen loads in it, certainly nothing like some of our Whelen brothers from Down Under:eek:;);):whistle::D.
Nice thing about the Browning versions is no tang safety or rebounding hammer as the Miroku Win versions all have. I sent a picture of the barrel markings to McGowen and they verified by those markings that it was done by Harry McGowen himself and not a later job by the current company. Harry died in 2014.
Here is a pic of it and will repost when I have the rifle in hand. Should be a funner!:D
My max bid held by $5!:eek:
View attachment 335805
Wow! That's darn exciting! I love the 1895 and have posted a comment on this forum to that effect. And I am a total fan (not as much as you-know-who) of the 35 Whelen.

Actually it has gone the way of all things Toby. Down the road and on to other interests. Current love interests are my 8x64s and another Golden Oldie, a Remington model 14 pump rifle in .32 Rem!
Took that sucker to the range today and shot it and its great. It has a vintage Lyman 2.5X Perma Center scope on it with post and crosshair. A real funner!
View attachment 395310
Very nice! I too am at the point of trying new firearms and calibers via selling those in my safe that haven't been shot in years. You know, at the time they were fun and were used for awhile, but tastes and desires change and "we only get so many heartbeats during our lives", so.....?

View attachment 395310
@sestoppelman
What a great little fun gun.
How hard is it to get a mom for it.
Bob

View attachment 395310
I have the same model sans scope in 30 remington. It is my go to still hunting rifle for crappy weather when I don’t want to take the Mannlicher out. Great rifles. Mine came with a Redfield peep sight made for that rifle. Mounts on the two screw holes on the rear end of the receiver (factory drilled and tapped for peep). At its best in tight quarters where shots come quickly and at close range. Good hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg