Interesting rifle on the way... .35 Whelen

Well as I said above, have had several of these and well familiar with the round had my first one built in the '80's. I have no intention of using any full house loads, let alone Super loads in a lever action. The Hornady load is fine for bolt rifles, used it myself, but not for a '95 Winchester.:eek:
Sestoppelman
The 1895 was chambered for the 30 ought six @ 50,000 psi so should handle any factory loaded Whelen as t these are only loaded to around 48 to 49,000 psi
Just my thoughts
Cheers mate Bob

e
Dunno, I thought of home when I saw the title.
I can’t believe this thread is 10 days old and he hasn’t found it.
Not sure if I should ring to see if he’s ok wait to see how one it takes him to find this thread.
CBH
Thanks for the thoughts mate I'm fine. Actually going after some pigs and deer just after Easter mate.
Cheers Chris
Bob

Sestoppelman
The 1895 was chambered for the 30 ought six @ 50,000 psi so should handle any factory loaded Whelen as t these are only loaded to around 48 to 49,000 psi
Just my thoughts
Cheers mate Bob
True but the originals in '06 were known to suffer setback, increased headspace over time. The rifles were really designed to run a bit under 50K, more like 45-47K. Loadings vary in '06 and the Whelen. I plan to keep my loads more in line with . 35 Winchester ballistics, which will keep pressures in the easy-on-the-rifle range.(y)

True but the originals in '06 were known to suffer setback, increased headspace over time. The rifles were really designed to run a bit under 50K, more like 45-47K. Loadings vary in '06 and the Whelen. I plan to keep my loads more in line with . 35 Winchester ballistics, which will keep pressures in the easy-on-the-rifle range.(y)
Sestoppelman
Even a bit slower down to 358 Winchester or 35 Winchester it will get the job done.
Cheers mate Bob

Bob, have you ever used a 250 Gr. Hot Core on game? If so what and how did it do. By comparison they are cheap bullets, so far I've only used them for target practice. I'm thinking they would be just fine for deer or hogs but I was unwilling to use them in Africa.

Bob, have you ever used a 250 Gr. Hot Core on game? If so what and how did it do. By comparison they are cheap bullets, so far I've only used them for target practice. I'm thinking they would be just fine for deer or hogs but I was unwilling to use them in Africa.

I’ve got a bunch of hot cores loaded up as well, they are great practicing on paper and rocks and was planning on using on white tail. I bought up a bunch of North Forks before they closed down to use when and if we get back to Africa

Shootist43
Shot my gemsbuck with a 250 grain hotcore at around 120 yards broadside. The PH was watching with the binoculars and said he really knew he was hit the way he bucked, mad 20 yards run and nose dived. Complete penetration with an exit wound about an inch.
I have read people use them for moose in Canada so should be ok for Africa. They're not being pushed that hard in a Whelen, 24 to 2,700 fps. That was the only animal I shot with it the others we accubonds and woodleigh projectiles.
Cheers Art
Bo

Art
I forgot mate, I'm glad the hotcore are cheap practice bullets for you over there as in OZ they are 60 bucks for 50.
Other bullet prices for 50 as follows.
Nosler accubonds $105
Nosler partition $147
Speer hotcore and Sierra 225 boat tails $66
Hornaday 250grain interlock spire points are $70 A box of 100, the same for round nose if you can find an old box..
Even our powder us around $60-70 A pound depending on where you buy it.
Cheers mate Bob

Attachments

• Screenshot (560).png
    Screenshot (560).png
    198 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot (561).png
    Screenshot (561).png
    141.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot (562).png
    Screenshot (562).png
    66.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot (563).png
    Screenshot (563).png
    65.7 KB · Views: 83
OUCH take a look at this https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010547990?pid=659771

AR 2209 i.e. H4350 is $160 for an 8 Lb. "keg."
Shootist43
Mate should send you a B709 form and have you send a couple of hundred over.
A 4 kilo jug of 2209 is around 450 dollars here.. Strange we make it here label it H4350 send it over to you and you get it for less than half of what we pay.
Something don't add up to this little black duck. Should be the other way round.
Oh well that's life.
Cheers Art
Bob

Man, some nice hand-cut diamond point or fleur-de-lis checkering would set that rifle off really nice!(y)

Shootist43
Shot my gemsbuck with a 250 grain hotcore at around 120 yards broadside. The PH was watching with the binoculars and said he really knew he was hit the way he bucked, mad 20 yards run and nose dived. Complete penetration with an exit wound about an inch.
I have read people use them for moose in Canada so should be ok for Africa. They're not being pushed that hard in a Whelen, 24 to 2,700 fps. That was the only animal I shot with it the others we accubonds and woodleigh projectiles.
Cheers Art
Bo
I think this is one of the strengths of the whelen and all "standard velocity" cartridges. Powerful enough to push tough, premium bullets fast enough that they perform admirably out to ordinary hunting distance, but mild enough that a cup and core is still a viable choice and doesn't blow to pieces on impact.... I have owned a lot of guns in my life and I think it's why I keep coming back to my 6.5x55 as my go-to. I got some funny looks from the outfitter when I showed up with the 6.5x55 as my backup rifle. He thought it was too light for elk. I never got a chance to prove him wrong.

I have owned several Whelens over the years, this will be the first in a lever gun though.

Probably never take it hunting. Only hunting I do is Africa every few years, haven't hunted at home for over 15 years or so.

Toby458 aint got nuttin on me when it comes to rotating our stock!:eek:;):D
The Whelen is a proven performer in Africa. Take it on your next safari and make some memories together.

I use the 250 hot-cor in my 358 win for hogs and it puts them down with authority!

The Whelen is a proven performer in Africa. Take it on your next safari and make some memories together.
Having taken a model 95 there once already, in .405, I probably would not take this one. As of yet, though I have now had it for a bit, due to this stupid shut down I have not been able to fire it!:cry::cry: Yesterday our Gov extended the stay home order till the end of May with 4 phases ( sound familiar?)o_O to full reopening which likely wont be until at least July or August! :(:mad:
While in most ways the shut down hasn't impacted my life all that much, I do pretty much what I want, when I want, but rifle ranges are still currently closed for the most part. They even closed the state forest lands so access to the woods is even very limited. Really sucks and I am sick to death of it!:mad::mad::mad:

I use the 250 hot-cor in my 358 win for hogs and it puts them down with authority!
MS 9x56
Ony used the hot core on a couple of pigs mate. It was supposed to be 1 pig but the other one walked behind the first as i pulled the trigger. Tge dirst one was hit in the neck with the bullet passing through and hitting the other one in the head. So not really a big test.
Cheers mate Bob Nelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross