In honor of March 8th (3-08), let's see those 308's

1678399641251.jpeg

My daughter-in-law’s .308 Browning X-Bolt being used by her husband in Tajikistan on a Mid-Asian Ibex hunt.

A day late... but.. since I do about 90% of all of my big game hunting with a .308 I figured I have to play... 

Ive got 4 308's in the safe at the moment... my favorite is a Kimber Adirondak with a swaro Z3 optic on it.. the gun is a whopping 4 lbs 13oz bare... loaded, with the optic, rings, mounts, etc.. she comes in right at 6lbs 3oz and is an absolute joy to carry (it can light you up upon trigger squeeze though lol).. it has LASER like accuracy with barnes ttsx handloads.. and is fairly impervious to weather (super low maintenance)..

A close runner up is my Rem 600 Mohawk in 308.. No pic available at this time.. I just sent the barreled action off to be threaded about a week ago so that I can mount a suppressor to it.. Its a tack driver with the same barnes handloads.. and features several of the same benefits as the Adirondak (compact, lightweight package, etc).. its had several upgrades.. timney trigger, bell and carlson kevlar stock, rib removed, threaded barrel (soon) etc... I'd guess it comes in maybe 6oz heavier than the kimber.. its certainly several oz under 7lbs when loaded with the opic, rings, mounWast, etc ...

A day late... but.. since I do about 90% of all of my big game hunting with a .308 I figured I have to play... :)

Ive got 4 308's in the safe at the moment... my favorite is a Kimber Adirondak with a swaro Z3 optic on it.. the gun is a whopping 4 lbs 13oz bare... loaded, with the optic, rings, mounts, etc.. she comes in right at 6lbs 3oz and is an absolute joy to carry (it can light you up upon trigger squeeze though lol).. it has LASER like accuracy with barnes ttsx handloads.. and is fairly impervious to weather (super low maintenance)..

View attachment 521921

A close runner up is my Rem 600 Mohawk in 308.. No pic available at this time.. I just sent the barreled action off to be threaded about a week ago so that I can mount a suppressor to it.. Its a tack driver with the same barnes handloads.. and features several of the same benefits as the Adirondak (compact, lightweight package, etc).. its had several upgrades.. timney trigger, bell and carlson kevlar stock, rib removed, threaded barrel (soon) etc... I'd guess it comes in maybe 6oz heavier than the kimber.. its certainly several oz under 7lbs when loaded with the optic, rings, mount, etc ...
I was hoping you'd jump in on this thread, and you didn't disappoint. That Kimber is sweet! :)

Not fair! 3/8 comes every year!

My favorite holidays have all passed for my lifetime:

July of '57
July of '64
September 3rd, 1962
September 3rd, 1964

Heck, even March of '75

Enjoy your every-year holiday boys. It appears my calibers are celebrated as frequently as Halley's comet passes overhead.

Did someone say FAL?

One or two of my favs
FAL-Girl.jpg
from a few years back:

3G BNCE J4.jpg
3G BNCE J2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
E46A4257-3702-440D-99AF-4D3A1122A715.jpeg

Sauer 100. I like it but I think I will replace with a crf mauser or sako in the near future

How did I not know this was a day? I’ve had a nearly 50 year love affair with the .308 Win. It started with my father’s Savage 99 and then continued with the Parker & Hale that I got for Christmas when I was 14. Shot my first moose with that rifle. Traded that rifle for a 7mm Rem Mag when I was 21. By the time I was 26 I realized life without a .308 just wasn’t complete and I bought a used Browning BLR not realizing how rewarding our hunting adventures together would be in the following years. After 32 hunting seasons I appreciate this little rifle more each year. I have others of course but that .308 is irreplaceable to me.
9AF2484C-99A7-4502-8C19-0160565311D2.png

Yeah, so we are 3 past 3/08, but... my daughter at the range today. We're going to be shooting to be ready for Africa in June. Today was a "get reaquainted" session; she hasn't shot since caribou season in September. And not too shabby: she had 1.5" groups at 100. As it warms up we'll transition to sticks. Load is a handload that shoots well in her rifle, using 150 grain Partitions.

P1070378.JPG

A close runner up is my Rem 600 Mohawk in 308.. No pic available at this time.. I just sent the barreled action off to be threaded about a week ago so that I can mount a suppressor to it.. Its a tack driver with the same barnes handloads.. and features several of the same benefits as the Adirondak (compact, lightweight package, etc).. its had several upgrades.. timney trigger, bell and carlson kevlar stock, rib removed, threaded barrel (soon) etc... I'd guess it comes in maybe 6oz heavier than the kimber.. its certainly several oz under 7lbs when loaded with the optic, rings, mount, etc ...

Now that the 600 is back from the machinst... (he did a PERFECT job on the threading by the way.. the same guy also threaded a 10/22 for me several months back.. if anyone is ever in need of that sort of work.. Morgan @ Class 3 Machining in Dallas is supurb... he is very affordable ($75-$100 depending on the job.. turn around time was less than a week both times I have sent him a barreled action to be worked on.. and the quality of the work is excellent).. https://class3machining.com/

1678828426276.png

This little rifle is just about the perfect East or North Texas deer rifle IMO.. (shots are generally under 200, from an elevated blind.. so something compact for maneuvering around in a potentially tight space is welcomed).. at just a little more than 6.5 lbs loaded its also an absolute pleasure to carry around all day if youre out walking a property.. Recoil can be a little sharp because of the weight.. but Im thinking once I get the little Resonator K out of jail, adding the short suppressor will tame that quite a bit.. It LOVES 168gr TTSX hand loads that are moving about 2700 FPS..

Sooner or later I'll figure out some mounts that are lower (this one was on the gun when I bought it).. but for now I am thinking "if it aint broke.. dont fix it...".. It filled the freezer with a couple of nice doe last year.. its my plan to use it again this year for freezer filling..

'Got my first rifle buck at age 12 using a friend's .308 (it was nice-custom mauser mtn rifle 22", Mannlicher stock, spoon bolt,) but quickly graduated to a 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. Where I come from, we have some exceptionally long fields and I needed more steam to reach out and touch that occasional deer. So, my 4 .308" bores have a bit of a performance-enhancing drug problem... :p The Korean war and Vietnam are over, so we are now free from the spell of the .308. Not my cup of tea, but the 7-08 and 25 Souper performs better on game (flatter shooting, higher velocity and better penetration w/ the 7!) 45 g of powder vs. 60-75 makes a world of difference out beyond 300 yds (and on African PG, well inside that range!) The best .308" bullets for PG are 200 gr+ and I wouldn't want to shoot 'em out of that puny case. An AR-10 would make a fine home/ranch defense gun...
Perhaps we can revisit this idea on April 16th (perfect, as tax season will be over for the most part!)

1678829369507.png

Last edited:
My daughter's .308. She will be taking it to Africa in June.

View attachment 521895
Congrats for ALL THIS...
I have two sons, both of them hunters and fischers like the father (I don´t know them, but all says He is a good man hahaha)
Things like this, are great! Wonderfull!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you