IMR 4064

Frank375

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Zimbabwe,Tanzania,
Can anyone tell me if IMR 4064 is temperature sensitive or not?

I can’t tell you specifically if it is designed to be but in a 7mm-08 with an 18.5” barrel. (140gr Barnes), at 78 degrees I was getting 2678fps and at 45 degrees I was getting 2670fps.
I hope this helps.

I’ve used it in my 7x57 for what must be 40 years. I’ve hunted in blizzards in Alaska and the desert in Africa. I have never seen any issues with temperature sensitivity. I have probably shot with it through a temperature range of -40 to +100 ‘F.

I do not have any experience with IMR 4064 personally but according to some who have tested it they say that it performs well in comparison with Varget which is known as a extreme powder that is not temp sensitive. Here is a link to a posted test.

Thank you all very much.Sounds like it handles temperature extremes very well.That is what I was hoping for.

Reactions: WAB
Several years back I was testing some bullets and fired about 100 rounds that were loaded with 4064. It was a Summer day with high temperature in the 90s. the sun moved (actually the Earth moved) and one of the ammo cans went from shade to sunlight and got hot to the point of uncomfortable to touch. The ammo in that can appeared to be higher pressure than the ones fired earlier in the day. So I would say that that batch of 4064 (from 1990) was temp sensitive- at least at temperature above 100 degrees, probably in the 125 degree range.

Never had a problem with 4064 in the .250 Savage or 8x60S , summer or winter. Also no significant SD and ES changes

Shot PDs for many years with a 22 250 and a220 swift. Both were reloaded with IMR 4064. Spent at least 6/7 hours a day in the sun. All loads were at max and never once har any issues. Hottest official temp I remember was 106 in Rapid City SD. Remember it because it was the highest shot count of any day shooting in almost 20 years.

Thanks,everyone for the info.This is why I love AH.

I load numerous cartridges across a wide range of calibers with IMR 4064… it’s my go-to powder… .243 to 416 Taylor it has worked exceptionally well for me and has been hunted everywhere from Kodiak Alaska to South Africa… all weather conditions… through a wide temperature range…

I load numerous cartridges across a wide range of calibers with IMR 4064… it’s my go-to powder… .243 to 416 Taylor it has worked exceptionally well for me and has been hunted everywhere from Kodiak Alaska to South Africa… all weather conditions… through a wide temperature range…
If I load 61 or 62 grs. of IMR 4064 in a 375 flanged magnum would I need a filler?

My load is 66 grains. I don’t use a filler. I’ve never loaded down as low as 61… but I don’t think that’s so light that a filler would be needed…

My load is 66 grains. I don’t use a filler. I’ve never loaded down as low as 61… but I don’t think that’s so light that a filler would be needed…
Thanks.

I found this Powder Temperature Stability chart online a few years ago. I can't vouch for any of the data accuracy, but it is interesting and potentially useful.

Temp Stable Powder Chart.jpeg

Attachments

• hodgdon-extreme-series-powders-test-results-for-temperature-sensitivity.pdf
    227.6 KB · Views: 83
Here the simple anwser to all those so call temp affecting modern gun powder
first and foremost if you are usingmagnum primers ie FED 215 the best ever promer for high capacity magnums dont worry about extreme temps .
now if your hunting in africa in the hot months of the year 90's-110's F temps
shoudl not affect the powder unless you like expose the ammo to the scorching sun for hours other wise we carry the ammo on our blets and rifle where that is a minimal exposure to the ammo/powder.
back innthe old british ammo nitro express ammo remember it was only single base powder nitrocellulose instead of moderm powder compose also of nitroglycerine/nitrocellulose more stale and reliable powder .

Here the simple anwser to all those so call temp affecting modern gun powder
first and foremost if you are usingmagnum primers ie FED 215 the best ever promer for high capacity magnums dont worry about extreme temps .
now if your hunting in africa in the hot months of the year 90's-110's F temps
shoudl not affect the powder unless you like expose the ammo to the scorching sun for hours other wise we carry the ammo on our blets and rifle where that is a minimal exposure to the ammo/powder.
back innthe old british ammo nitro express ammo remember it was only single base powder nitrocellulose instead of moderm powder compose also of nitroglycerine/nitrocellulose more stale and reliable powder .

I was going to hoist the "BS Flag" but I couldn't find it. Just as well, I will try a more civil attempt at a response to your post.

For most hunting applications, say 300 yards or less, the temperature variant does not have a significant effect. For long range shooters, it absolutely does.

Most people develop their loads at say 60-80F, so the departure from this in real world applications is plus or minus maybe 40-60 F. Put another way, few if any develop a load at 0 F or 100+F, so no real world load sees a 100+ degree variance from the temp that it was developed at.

As the data clearly indicates, even some "modern" powders have very significant variation due to temperature effect. That is why powder companies have developed alternatives that are more temperature stable.

Another big fan of 4064. It seems to work for every caliber I have and then some.

In summary, is it temp sensitive? Yes.
But is it temp sensitive enough to matter in real world hunting scenarios? No.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChauChilds

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you