Importing A Landy from SA to US

I know people that swear by Land Rovers. Importation should be a fun project. I recommend the medium Snap-On Tool chest be purchased before importation...these run $2K to $4K empty, and another $16.5 filled with the tools necessary to get you home. I have now ridden in a Land Rover 4 times and only broken down three. (They may have been "swearing at" the Landies instead, memory fails)..............best of luck. and please report your progress....FWB

It cost no more to ship one in #1 shape as it does a clunker, (some would say they are all clunkers). I think you will find any parts that you might need without a problem, cost of parts certainly will be no more expensive than genuine Toyota parts. I am sure you realize that you will be buying a right hand drive vehicle. You may want to check in "Hemmings" if you do you will probably find what you're looking for already in the USA and in left hand drive. I would say left hand drive is much safer for passing, but then a Landrover has never passed anything other than a stop sign when the brakes failed.

Toyota Cruiser is definitely a better truck.
But hard to find here.

Defenders are cheaper and more available. They can be upfitted and updated of your set on one.

I know I have lost my mind! @Kevinpeacock you are a very bad influence on me, lol!!! I am thinking of importing a 1980 vintage year Landry from SA to the US. I know there is a 25 year old exception in the US for foreign vehicle imports that helps tremendously. With the conversion rate of 18 rand to one dollar there seem to be some awesome deals I have found. Help me please…have I lost my mind? Has anyone else done this?

Rare Breed, you are certainly not losing your marbles. I’m a Land Cruiser man through and through, but I’ve played around with old Series II Landys in the past, and they are awesome toys. As long as they are not your only and primary means of transportation. It is indeed the time to capitalise on the exchange rate now for you guys.

One of my very good friends builds Land Rovers here in Northern Kwazulu Natal, converts them to Left hand drives, galvanises the chassis, and completely rewires them, then exports them to Wisconsin where they are sold. As a matter of fact Richard flew over there yesterday to go work for the company in Wisconsin for three months, as they have offered him quite a good deal there. He will then make the call whether he stays on permanently.

I’ll be happy to put you in contact with him, as he knows the business of sending them from RSA to the US better than most. His dad started their workshop Landyman years ago, and they customise and outfit most of the Land Cruiser and Land Land Rover game-viewers in Natal. They also do all the work and maintenance on the explorer Kingsley Holgate’s fleet of vehicles.

Land Rovers are mid life crisis, mancave 'Heroin'

You'll wish you had never tried it
It's ruined your life
Relationships have suffered
You're poorer
You've become a reclusive hermit
People cross the street to avoid conversations about subframe corrosion
Your nails have a constant patina of oil
You constantly have to say 'I'm fine, everything is under control' when you know it's not
You can not be relied upon to turn up on time anywhere because your 'habit' is unpredictable
Your children make excuses for your incredibly narrow conversation skills
You spend too long on addicts websites trying to source 'habit' aiding paraphernalia
You happily say Aluminium instead or Aluminum and feel comfortable doing so
You realise it was all for nothing when you look down from heaven as your kids happily take $20 in scrap as its towed away.

Of course who, over the age of 50 ever listens to sensible advice. Just let the kids know that $30 would have been a great deal!

FN

I know I have lost my mind! @Kevinpeacock you are a very bad influence on me, lol!!! I am thinking of importing a 1980 vintage year Landry from SA to the US. I know there is a 25 year old exception in the US for foreign vehicle imports that helps tremendously. With the conversion rate of 18 rand to one dollar there seem to be some awesome deals I have found. Help me please…have I lost my mind? Has anyone else done this?
It will be over $100,000 by the time you get it here.

Or you could drop really big bucks for one of these:

The new Ford Broncos sure look a lot like the Defender, at a fraction of the cost.

1689336811149.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 6.46.24 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 6.46.24 AM Large.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 6.49.00 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 6.49.00 AM Large.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 6.49.01 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 6.49.01 AM Large.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 6.49.02 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 6.49.02 AM Large.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 6.49.03 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 6.49.03 AM Large.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 6.49.05 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 6.49.05 AM Large.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 27

You will never, ever complain about trophy shipping ever again after this one arrives.

I'd order three, just so you have parts available.

Thanks for all the feedback!!! I’m okay again…I regained my sanity and choose to just stay with my pick up. My wife is a put all vehicles in garage type of person so no third vehicles allowed in driveway…lol!!!

I brought over the HJ75 in my avator. Bought it only looking at pics. BIG MISTAKE. I ended up completely rebuilding everything except for motor. Sourced parts from all over the world, every single part was original Toyota. Built hunting rack exactly to specs of Brent Hein's in Zim. Finished the seats in brown elephant skin brought from Zim. Almost 4 year project. If my wife ever found out what I invested it would have been ugly in my house.
Sold it when a guy caught me in a weak moment and made an offer I couldn't refuse. LOL, currently looking for another to bring over.

You will not only not have a 3rd vehicle in your driveway, you will not have oil puddles.

Reading through the comments leads me to believe a 20 year old redhead might be a less costly course of action for that mid-life crisis.

Maybe on the surface, but I've never seen a Land Cruiser harvest your kidneys, I can't say the same for 20 year old redheads. Redheads are half crazy. Left handed women are half crazy. If she's a left handed redhead, you'll either die in the heat of passion or you'll die because you said her dress looked "okay" instead of spectacular.

Stick with unreliable, overpriced motor vehicles for your midlife crisis. At least you'll survive the experience.

Perhaps look to Canada for Land Cruisers. I have had two. Brand new 1985 with four cylinder diesel and an early 90s with 6 cyl diesel and auto. These were the 4 door model. Very few of the two doors came over. As I understand it : Canada got only diesels and the US only has. They all came with the steering wheel on the proper side.

Well importing one is the cheap part. Or buying one here that is junk and needs updating. The very first thing you would want to do is send it to East Coast Rover for a frame swap. They will change out your rust bucket frame for a nice new galvanized one. After that, it’s how many more thousands do you want so spend? 100k just have East Coast bring it up to a reliable daily driver. There are several places here in the US that will change out the Land Rover engine for a Corvette engine or you can send it to a place like Heidelberg, which will charge you about 300k to bring it up fully customized and modernized for everyday driving.

Or just save yourself 100k and buy a Mercedes G wagon you’ll get a modern reliable vehicle and save yourself 100k.

@Rare Breed
@Kevin Peacocke isn't a bad influence on you. He is a bad EFFLUENCE in you giving you such a shit idea. If'n you import a landy of any description I hope you have good health cover. You will need it for the chiropractor and counselling sessions on such a descion not to mention the CONSTANT repair bills.
Look Ma it's in great condition no rust in the body because it aluminium but it ain't go no chassis cause the rust plumb et it all but hey it gives 5mpg in 4wd and will climb a wall.
Forgit it silly idea.
HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

This gentleman imports them all the time. He is an hour from me. He always has some moving through the process. He knows all the pitfalls with defenders. He only buys decent ones.
Buy one from him and have it shipped down. Or come get it.

@Altitude sickness
I wouldn't trust him simply because there ain't no such thing as a decent landrover. You woul have more chance of finding a unicorn farming rainbows.
Bob

@Rare Breed
@Kevin Peacocke isn't a bad influence on you. He is a bad EFFLUENCE in you giving you such a shit idea. If'n you import a landy of any description I hope you have good health cover. You will need it for the chiropractor and counselling sessions on such a descion not to mention the CONSTANT repair bills.
Look Ma it's in great condition no rust in the body because it aluminium but it ain't go no chassis cause the rust plumb et it all but hey it gives 5mpg in 4wd and will climb a wall.
Forgit it silly idea.
HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob
Yes! Isn’t it wonderful?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinTill6

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.