IMPORTANT: Firearms Export Alert – Use of Form 4457 for Temporary Firearms Export

Its OK I think to apply as an individual, I read it there. I thought I would get the easy part done at Treasury, HA! No can do. Monday thru Friday! WOW!!!

I read when it was giving options for how to list your business, it also said "your name if an individual". So I would think it must be OK, especially considering they require us to do this crap!

You can get an EIN regardless of whether you are an employer or not. The first step if you were thinking about starting a company, or being self employed, is to get an EIN. It is just another form of tax identification. I guess it allows you to proceed with the AESD filing. So that part of the process should be very straight forward. Can not speak to the remaining stuff for AESD.

I have read the ICE 3 questions..if you are exempt groups. If you are exporting?. And returning with your own ..one...firearm and less than 1 k ammo and it will remain in your possession for your own personal use and returning with you ..must you have the AES registration. Sorry, but the instructions seem confusing

Yes, must have an EIN and file with AES even though exempt. Stupid but that's the way I read it.

Has anyone been requested for this upon arriving back to the US this year 2020 or has the 4457 sufficed. I will call CBP in chicago tomorrow for more info...if they know anything...doubtful....went thru O’Hare in a November..
Very easy and friendly CBP on arrival with my firearm..

Has anyone been requested for this upon arriving back to the US this year 2020 or has the 4457 sufficed. I will call CBP in chicago tomorrow for more info...if they know anything...doubtful....went thru O’Hare in a November..
Very easy and friendly CBP on arrival with my firearm..

I was down at CBP here in Maine a few weeks ago to get my 4457 done. Talked with the agent for a bit. I mentioned the fact that the ITN number seemed to be rearing its ugly headed. He rolled his eyes and said yes. I didn’t get him to elaborate but he seemed well aware that something was happening with it.

The CBP site seems pretty emphatic about it. Says "must", no may. Outlines the penalty options too. I think it behooves one to jump thru the hoops, much as I hate it.
There is always the other option, leave your rifle home and borrow one there.

I am struggling with the process as well. Looks like a real opportunity for one of our sponsors (whether it be travel agency, import logistics company, etc.) to provide assistance and additional service? Just saying, first one to the punch could certainly generate a little extra revenue, set themselves apart and gain a competitive advantage. Just a thought...

I am struggling with the process as well. Looks like a real opportunity for one of our sponsors (whether it be travel agency, import logistics company, etc.) to provide assistance and additional service? Just saying, first one to the punch could certainly generate a little extra revenue, set themselves apart and gain a competitive advantage. Just a thought...

I second that. Would be a great help if they did. I too am finding it difficult to do and dont want to take any chances this June that they ask for it and not have it.

Spoke with the CBP at O’Hare yesterday regarding the AES...was told The 4457 was acceptable and the AES was not required if the weapon was for personal use, going to and returning with the same weapon. Still am going to confirm this prior to my leaving in June for Namibia.

Thats the problem with this crap, ask 10 different agents and get 12 different answers, but the guy you talk to at your airport wont be the guy you see at JFK or Atl. will he?

The CBP site plainly says, "must" have an AES number, not optional. It may be only hit and miss as to who enforces it, but by the book its not voluntary.

The thing by the SCI in the OP is misleading as well. They are quoting from ATF and their rules. ATF has nothing to do with coming in and out of airports with firearms.

Well..I will just keep inquiring of O’Hare CBP as to what their policy is....not to concerned about ATL or JFK since I will not be flying out of those. Maybe by June they will have something definite

And the guy you talked to is always going to be there? See that's the problem. You don't know who will enforce this from one day to the next and any given time or place. You can inquire every day, and the day you arrive back, it will be someone else who is more a book guy and he wont care what someone else told you.

The big problem isn't flying out of the airport but getting your rifle back into the US.

It was bad enough when I came back in 2015 through Dulles that the inspector I got had no idea of what he was doing, form wise or with the inspection.

Last time I came into JFK, the CBP guy said I needed to declare that I was bringing a firearm into the country on the declaration form on the plane! He let us go but was adamant about it. Didnt even ask for a 4457.
When I asked for further explanation he just blew me off, go away.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/202...Y02qwDSfnF2n4GMHtj4ccVpFW65pgjZ07UFC_IUBCIieQ

Trump Administration Publishes Historic Rulemaking to Modernize America’s Firearm Export Regime

On Jan. 23, the Trump administration published rules that will be a boon to the United States firearms industry and all who utilize its products. The new regulations will become effective March 9, 2020.

The rules update America’s regulatory regime for the export of firearms, as well as related parts, components, and accessories. They are the result of an intensive, years-long interagency review process, as well as consideration of thousands of public comments.

The changes move firearm-related commerce from an antiquated Cold War paradigm into the modern era of broader international trade and access to information.

No more will small, non-exporting businesses – including gunsmiths – be caught up in an expansive regulatory scheme for manufacturers of “munitions” and their parts that requires a $2,250 annual registration fee with U.S. State Department.

Americans will again be free to publish most technical information about firearms and ammunition – including on the publicly-accessible Internet – without fear of accidentally running afoul of State Department restrictions that could land them in federal prison.

And Americans temporarily traveling overseas with their own guns and ammunition won’t have to register them in a government database or deal with the complexities of completing lengthy forms in commercial exporting software.

Meanwhile, commercial exporters of non-military grade firearms and ammunition will have fewer fees to pay and will benefit from a more flexible, business-oriented regulatory environment. This will enhance their competitiveness in global markets and bring business and jobs that might have gone to unscrupulous foreign companies back to America, which will continue to have unrivaled oversight of its domestic and international arms trade.

To be clear, actual exports of firearms and ammunition will still require authorization by the federal government, including through licenses issued after interagency review to ensure the materiel will not fall into the wrong hands when it leaves the country. End users of the guns in the countries of destination will also remain subject to U.S. monitoring.

But guns and ammunition that can be readily obtained at big box retailers in the U.S. will no longer be treated for export purposes as if they were in the same “inherently military” category as missiles, warheads, howitzers, or other true weapons of war.

This change will additionally ensure that more resources are available to monitor transfers and movement of truly sensitive and consequential military equipment and technology.

The result is an overall win for American business, freedom, and the security of the Free World.

Needless to say, however, those who would ban firearms completely are already seeking to undermine the changes. Attorneys general from a number of anti-gun states have filed suit in a federal district court in Seattle, Wash., falsely alleging the rule changes would allow for the unregulated proliferation of so-called “3D-printed weapons.” Numerous media outlets have uncritically parroted these baseless claims.

In truth, the final versions of the rules specifically address this concern and will treat any computer code allowing for the automatic printing or milling of a firearm as a regulated item requiring prior authorization before being published on the Internet or released to any foreign national.

This latest action is just one more example of how President Trump continues to move forward with his positive agenda to protect the right to keep and bear arms and the businesses that comprise America’s firearms industry. American manufacturing, as well as lawful firearm ownership at home and abroad stand to make big gains under the president’s export reform initiative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg