Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
This is probably more about hunting particular areas in Europe than the animal itself. I am wondering whether there is something about hunting one which makes it a more desirable trophy over the other? Horn difference is obviously noticable, but is there anything else about one that you prefer? I am thinking maybe the beauty of the terrain, the relative challenge? Relative cost/value? Maybe there is another european goat/sheep that puts it at the top of the pile for similar reasons. I am very interested in your thoughts on this.

Reactions: BWH
Great question.... I love both animals. One is more of a NZ specie. The other more of a Spain, Austria or Kazakhstan/Afghanistan specie.

I think you just need to put pen & paper to google...., look at cost, trip, travel, ease of access/egress, safety, transport of trophy. I know guys that specializes in both. There are several different Ibex.... which one significantly separates/differentiate the trip/hunt/cost. I've investigated thoroughly

A lot of Chamois are indeed taken in NZ, but the Alps is the classic location for a hunt. Won't be cheap, but gosh what a total package with time to be a tourist in Bavaria and/or Austria.

Which Ibex? As you know, they can be hunted from Spain across Asia in an amazing array of subspecies. From a total experience perspective, I would vote Spain or Turkey. I have never hunted the Bezoar but he has incredible horns and, of course, Istanbul is worth a vacation in itself (I have done that). I loved my Spanish Ibex hunt (Gredos), and Spain is our new favorite European destination. We are going back next year.

The Spanish Ibex will typically be a lower altitude than a lot of alpine hunting. A chamois in the Alps will stretch your conditioning. I have never shot one there, but have hunted red stag twice in the Bavarian Alps and once in Austria. In each case, we saw quite a few chamois and they were way up the mountain from where we were hunting - and we were already at 6-7 thousand feet.

Yeah.... I dig the alpine & Nubian..... further, higher, harder & more $$$$. Which mean I will probably never get one.

There really is a dizzying array of what I will refer to collectively as sheep and goats. They are all great looking too. Thanks for the thoughts. I am looking at Spain (very preliminary) but both Chamois and Ibex are doable and actually the Chamois is slightly less expensive. The Chamois are the Cantabrian and Pyrenean.

There is affordable Chamois hunts in France, Austria, and Slovenia...I say right around 3000, France is less. That doesn't include tips, transportation there, permits, but still not a bad price to hunt Europe.

As far as price goes you can hunt chamois much cheaper than Ibex. Both live in some beautiful country! Good luck in your decision. You could hunt chamois and 1 or maybe even 2 other species for the the same cost as 1 Ibex however

Aren't both of these hard physical hunts? I think they are both great looking animals but not at all confident I could go up those mountains!

I am sure they are. A combination of the climb and thinner air must be very challenging. I am actually setting these goals in order to motivate my lazy ass! I want to stay in shape and this gives me a goal.:A Weights:

You are a better man than me @Pheroze. Work for it and it can be done. A couple of years ago I was walking sometimes 7 miles a day getting ready for an elephant hunt but it wasn't at altitude!

Yes they both will be fairly challenging hunts, some areas will me much steeper and a harder go than others.

The Chamois in France can be one of the most physically demanding hunts anywhere. I remember speaking to Jim Schockey once in Saskatoon where he told me the French alps nearly killed him Physically. Tahr and Chamois in NZ can be very demanding if done on foot. I did both of mine there on foot many years ago. Still one of most fondest memories and the scenery is spectacular.

I sign up for social security this year, and handled the Gredos hunt with no issues. On the first day, we did about 20 kilometers - half up and half down - but nothing like the Rockies. Slopes were fairly gradual, altitude 4-6 thousand feet, and lots of stops for glassing. And I assure you that I am not in condition to participate in an Iron Man event. Depending on the area, achamois hunt could be on very steep terrain, though a Pyrenees hunt would have to be less demanding than the Alps. I am far more nervous about a goat hunt I have scheduled in the Chilcotin Mts of British Columbia in two years. But as Pheroze notes, demanding goals are a good thing.

I sign up for social security this year, and handled the Gredos hunt with no issues. On the first day, we did about 20 kilometers - half up and half down - but nothing like the Rockies. Slopes were fairly gradual, altitude 4-6 thousand feet, and lots of stops for glassing. And I assure you that I am not in condition to participate in an Iron Man event. Depending on the area, achamois hunt could be on very steep terrain, though a Pyrenees hunt would have to be less demanding than the Alps. I am far more nervous about a goat hunt I have scheduled in the Chilcotin Mts of British Columbia in two years. But as Pheroze notes, demanding goals are a good thing.
You certainly picked one of the toughest hunts in NA in Mtn Goat. I did mine many years ago on the Kenai Peninsula glad I was ALOT younger. Should be tough going. Good luck.

You certainly picked one of the toughest hunts in NA in Mtn Goat. I did mine many years ago on the Kenai Peninsula glad I was ALOT younger. Should be tough going. Good luck.
Fortunately, I have hunted with my guide three times previously (bear and mule deer). He at least knows what he is dealing with and seems confident - I hate younger people. I did tell him if I dropped dead he could forget the bleeding tip.

Fortunately, I have hunted with my guide three times previously (bear and mule deer). He at least knows what he is dealing with and seems confident - I hate younger people. I did tell him if I dropped dead he could forget the bleeding tip.
Lol. I have faith in you.

Hmmmm....doesn't that marginalize a significant portion of the population ;)
And your point is ........?

And I haven't even mentioned lawyers yet.

:LOL:. My honest thought is that they can judge us at exactly that point in time when they have done what we have.

:LOL:. My honest thought is that they can judge us at exactly that point in time when they have done what we have.
That is really, really good. I will likely use it with out giving you suitable credit - but a very good way of framing any issue. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeannaDost

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg