I want a new rifle but I don’t know what to get

I also have a Ruger African in .375 Ruger - basically brand new that I'd sell. Granted I don't think I'd take that gun to Alaska.
Why would you not take the ruger to africa?

I agree, if you're going to do it, do it right and get a pre64 model 70 in 375 h&h. Mine is one of the favorites in the safe. And there is something very cool and nostalgic about carrying a 60+ year old gun in the woods/bush. I too plan on buying a new edition model 70 super grade at some point, probably in 6.5 creedmore for my son for deer hunting. But for me, I'll keep adding to my pre 64s.
A Creedmoor!

No doubt that stuff would keep flies and mozzies away too!

Might work, annoying little bastards need a good repellent. Problem is flies go for food, people and even Dog Sh!t. Either they are not fussy or just versatile it's hard to say.

I went from owning no 375’s to owning two in the last week, but I only need one.

If you’re interested in an Interarms Mark X, PM me.

It’s not on the level of the other rifles mentioned but it is a solid gun. It’s also probably the lowest price option around, as I want to move it.

Bob @Bob Nelson 35Whelen used Vegemite for the same purpose of keeping moisture out. It also made for a quick midday snack with crackers when hunting camels or scrub bulls.
Good in a stew plus ... I always had great fun making Vegemite sandwiches for nieces and nephews, plastering the bread with 3 or 4x as much as my sisters in law would allow!

Ok. Grab the pop corn.
I want a Africa cape buffalo rifle. I am pretty sure I want a M70 in 375hh.
But dang the rugers are a deal.
The rifle may end up in a boat in alaska or in a scabbard on a horse at some point.
So should I get stainless and synthetic stock?
I don’t know which way to go. Went to a gun show today hoping to put my hands on both.
Nothing there. No winchesters or rugers.
Gimme some ideas

My thoughts are this..

dont look for a "deal" for your DG rifle..

know your budget.. and then consider options within it.. and then buy whatever you really WANT (sounds like an M70 to me)..

the few hundred dollars in difference in cost in a production rifle like a Ruger vs Winchester vs whatever else you might consider is pretty minimal in the overall scope of a DG hunt..

between airfare, other equipment, the cost of the buff hunt itself, taxidermy, shipping, etc.. youre looking at a minimum of a $12-15K investment (more than likely a good bit more)..

is saving $200-$500 on a rifle really going to make that much of a difference?

get what makes you happy (and is within your budget)..

if we were talking the difference in a Rigby vs a Winchester or a Heym vs a Ruger the conversation might be a bit different IMO..

Asking for advice your next firearm on this forum is like throwing fresh meat at hungry lions. :D Beers:

Best get yourself a Blaser R8 and you can have any cartridge from 204RUGER to 500J on one rifle stock. Not to mention the addition of all the rimfire options.

A R8 Professional in 375H&H with a 17mm (standard profile barrel) and iron sights will sort you out for the foreseeable future.
@BeeMaa
Mate if he is going to get a R8 plastic Barbie rifle he may as well get a Ken doll in a safari outfit to go with it.
Bob

Just FYI Johnson's no longer makes paste wax, sadly. Great stuff for treating horns and antlers. Minwax still makes paste wax but have yet to try it.
@Ontario Hunter
Gilleys gun wax eorks well on ALL metal and wood parts, even in letting. I've been using it for years plus you can buy it on Ebay.
Bob

Low maintenance hunter here, SS and composite or laminated stock in whatever cartridge floats your boat.
@Hogpatrol
And if ya boats sinking you can always use the synthetic or laminated as a paddle and the will still be fine. Walnut should NEVER be used as a paddle.
HA HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

I went from owning no 375’s to owning two in the last week, but I only need one.

If you’re interested in an Interarms Mark X, PM me.

It’s not on the level of the other rifles mentioned but it is a solid gun. It’s also probably the lowest price option around, as I want to move it.
Considering my Interarms (Whitworth) in 375H&H printed a 0.6" group yesterday with Barnes 300 gr TSX's, I would be quick to agree that your Mark X is a very solid option. If the OP isn't interested, feel free to drop me the details.

Ok. Grab the pop corn.
The rifle may end up in a boat in alaska or in a scabbard on a horse at some point.
I don’t know which way to go. Went to a gun show today hoping to put my hands on both.
Gimme some ideas
I know of a preowned Browning A-bolt stainless 375H&H with a synthetic stock for sale in Oklahoma for about a grand, if that's an option you would consider.

My thoughts are this..

dont look for a "deal" for your DG rifle..

know your budget.. and then consider options within it.. and then buy whatever you really WANT (sounds like an M70 to me)..

the few hundred dollars in difference in cost in a production rifle like a Ruger vs Winchester vs whatever else you might consider is pretty minimal in the overall scope of a DG hunt..

between airfare, other equipment, the cost of the buff hunt itself, taxidermy, shipping, etc.. youre looking at a minimum of a $12-15K investment (more than likely a good bit more)..

is saving $200-$500 on a rifle really going to make that much of a difference?

get what makes you happy (and is within your budget)..

if we were talking the difference in a Rigby vs a Winchester or a Heym vs a Ruger the conversation might be a bit different IMO..
You just about hit the mail in the head with where I am at. Only reason I am considering the ruger is availability. I briefly considered a double ( damn they are pretty ) But I think a 375 bolt gun will serve me better. The m70 is crf. Which is a priority for me. Even though I have never owned a CRF. Except for a M98 in 8mm.
I think I just need to be patient and wait on the right M70
My budget for a hunting rifle that I may scratch up and give honest wear to is 3k. Plus 1-2k for optics.
I am at the point of walnut/ blue or stainless/ synthetic. If I find a stainless I will cerokote it. Walnut I will just need to rub on it regularly. .
Hardest part is patience .

Considering my Interarms (Whitworth) in 375H&H printed a 0.6" group yesterday with Barnes 300 gr TSX's, I would be quick to agree that your Mark X is a very solid option. If the OP isn't interested, feel free to drop me the details.
Go for it. I think I need to find a M70 to satisfied.

Here's three generations of Browning A-bolts...from left to right, my dad's, my son's and mine. I got my son the walnut and stainless rifle for his 13th Christmas, gave it to him in mid-November, and he killed an 8-point with it less than 12 hours later. The point is that brushed/matte stainless isn't any more shiny than blued steel. Anyone that sees my son's gun also asks about it.

View attachment 579175
I Have a Ruger .17WSM that is the brushed stainless as you mention. It is much better Than the old shiny stainless.

You just about hit the mail in the head with where I am at. Only reason I am considering the ruger is availability. I briefly considered a double ( damn they are pretty ) But I think a 375 bolt gun will serve me better. The m70 is crf. Which is a priority for me. Even though I have never owned a CRF. Except for a M98 in 8mm.
I think I just need to be patient and wait on the right M70
My budget for a hunting rifle that I may scratch up and give honest wear to is 3k. Plus 1-2k for optics.
I am at the point of walnut/ blue or stainless/ synthetic. If I find a stainless I will cerokote it. Walnut I will just need to rub on it regularly. .
Hardest part is patience .
You need at least $2K for optics If not more. Best of luck finding a good gun for your next safari!

You need at least $2K for optics If not more. Best of luck finding a good gun for your next safari!
I can get a leupold, or night force for under 2k.
this is the one I am pretty set on

Attachments

• Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x42mm Rifle Scope, 30mm Tube, Second Focal Plane | 4.6 Star Rating w: Free ...pdf
    776.5 KB · Views: 20
De acuerdo. Coge las palomitas de maíz.
Quiero un rifle de búfalo del Cabo de África. Estoy bastante seguro de que quiero un M70 en 375hh.
Pero maldita sea, los rugers son un trato.
El rifle puede terminar en un barco en Alaska o en la funda de un caballo en algún momento.
Entonces, ¿debería adquirir material inoxidable y sintético?
No sé qué camino tomar. Fui a una exposición de armas hoy con la esperanza de tener ambos en mis manos.
Nada ahí. Nada de winchesters ni rugers.
Dame algunas ideas

Ok. Grab the pop corn.
Gimme some ideas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KalaMoniz

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,