I need your help

3 inch shells will chamber and fire in a 2 3/4 just like a 3 1/2 will in a 3 inch gun. It's not recommended as the forcing cone isn't long enough for the crimp to open all the way possibly creating unsafe pressure.
Guess they will, but it took my father in law to "show me the way" unintentionally of course. Good thing shotguns have relatively low pressure ammo. LOL

I know several guys who have accidentally loaded 3.5s in a 3 inch gun, especially while waterfowl hunting and theres boxes of shells everywhere. Good lesson on paying attention no matter what.

Nothing bad happened but you definitely noticed the weird noise haha. And yes fortunately guns are made to handle pressure well in excess of SAMMI spec because of that and improperly loaded ammo.

I know several guys who have accidentally loaded 3.5s in a 3 inch gun, especially while waterfowl hunting and theres boxes of shells everywhere. Good lesson on paying attention no matter what.

Nothing bad happened but you definitely noticed the weird noise haha. And yes fortunately guns are made to handle pressure well in excess of SAMMI spec because of that and improperly loaded ammo.
Interesting?

Yea I was beating the bolt with a hammer and it still wouldn't close haha
We like to refer to this as a strong clue that something is wrong.
3 inch shells will chamber and fire in a 2 3/4 just like a 3 1/2 will in a 3 inch gun. It's not recommended as the forcing cone isn't long enough for the crimp to open all the way possibly creating unsafe pressure.
How do you know this, but hammer the bolt?

So shotguns have pretty thin chamber walls for what they are. Yes they are operating at lower pressure than some rifles and yes they will grenade on you. Anybody ever wonder why the Mossberg 590 has super thick barrel walls? To avoid bursting under combat condition with an obstructed barrel or over pressure round.

So shotguns have pretty thin chamber walls for what they are. Yes they are operating at lower pressure than some rifles and yes they will grenade on you. Anybody ever wonder why the Mossberg 590 has super thick barrel walls? To avoid bursting under combat condition with an obstructed barrel or over pressure round.
Well I was joking about the hammering.... I have seen people do it on numerous occasions. I hunt with shotguns a lot and I am a firearms instructor for my dept. I have seen people do many terrible things with guns over the years unfortunately.

Back in the '70s, I reloaded paper (actually cardboard) 12ga. shells before I transitioned to AA plastic hulls. You could load the cardboard hulls "hotter" (more powder and shot than the plastic hulls). Every once in a while, the brass base would separate from the cardboard hull upon firing. Not a big deal, but I would have to remove the barrel from my Remington 1100 to get out the hull from the chamber. It seemed to only happen with multiple reloading of the cardboard hulls. I've seen recently where Remington is making the paper hulls again.

Back in the '70s, I reloaded paper (actually cardboard) 12ga. shells before I transitioned to AA plastic hulls. You could load the cardboard hulls "hotter" (more powder and shot than the plastic hulls). Every once in a while, the brass base would separate from the cardboard hull upon firing. Not a big deal, but I would have to remove the barrel from my Remington 1100 to get out the hull from the chamber. It seemed to only happen with multiple reloading of the cardboard hulls. I've seen recently where Remington is making the paper hulls again.
A lot of the old paper hull shells catch on fire when you shoot them too. We burn up a lot of the old stuff on training. It's kinda fun

Now I'm even more confused haha
To add to the confusion, we need to get Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen to chime in on this! He can confuse things like no other! Ha! Ha! Ha!
It's 0123 hours his time, so it'll be awhile before the sleeping giant, literally, (he's like 6'6") awakes and graces us with his wisdom. LOL

Last edited:
503. rotate the bullet 90 degrees and place it in the calipers so that you are measuring the diameter. Measured as shown you maybe just off the centerline. 35 Whelen bullets are in fact 358" in diameter.

503. rotate the bullet 90 degrees and place it in the calipers so that you are measuring the diameter. Measured as shown you maybe just off the centerline. 35 Whelen bullets are in fact 358" in diameter.
Seems closer

20220503_111746.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
200 gr. There's more pics on page 2

I'd pass on shooting these. Call the expense a learning experience and save yourself potentially much worse trouble.

That's good advice. I don't have anything that will shoot them. Just got them to sell for components if anyone wants them. Primers are hard to get

Men, I have a mission for you. Recently I bought 32 rounds of ammo at an auction. It was cheap, but I don't know caliber it is.

The headstamp is 30-06. However it is clearly not. Here are a few pics. There is a 30-06 on the right in the last pic for reference.

Any help identifying it would be appreciated. Also if anyone wants to buy it let me know.

Thanks gents.

View attachment 464394View attachment 464395View attachment 464396View attachment 464397
@503
A quick guess it looks like it's been made into a 35 Whelen snd loaded with 200 grain projectiles
Bob

.375 Whelen (.375-06) … curiosity immediately drew me into that cool concept & BAMM! I’m no seasoned Ammo Guy, ‘I Need Your Help’ may have a serious contender here & maybe my 1st rebore project :love: !?

View attachment 464476
@Jaegger
If you won't some real fun go the 400 Whelen petrov design.
Equals the 400/450 in an 06 case
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randyarthur

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life