Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, USA: NY, PA, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, TX, AZ, MT, WY, AK
I am taking my nephew on his first hunt ever on the 26th. Pig hunt in Florida. He is 9 and outside of shooting a 22 his experience is very little with guns. Recently we figured out his big issue was the noise scared him, got him some electronic muffs. So he's been shooting my AR in .223.

He's a "good" shot with the AR. Definately within the kill zone with all at 25yds . My concern is that with nerves of his first hunt, the 223 may not be enough to handle a poor shot. Especially if smacks shoulder/bone plate. My girlfriend took her first animal at same place in July using my 30-06. She made a perfect shot and it never even kicked.

It's a rem 700 bdl with a truly impressive rubber butt pad from remington. I can shoot all day with 150gr at the range. The problem is, he's 1/3 my weight. I am having trouble finding managed recoil loads locally for 30-06. I did find 125gr though in corelokt which is what I shoot in 150gr. Also looked at the Caldwell shoulder pad.

What would you guys suggest or what's your opinions? Is 125gr going to make a noticeable difference in recoil? Are the Caldwell PAST super mag pads as good as they say? He's maybe 80lbs so probably have to put the pad over all his clothes to make sure it tightens up on him. Figure if they work, dosnt hurt to have it around for my Girlfriend.

As the title says, I've got one bullet to see if the kid will use the 30-06 or not. He's not the type that gets hurt/scared and says "let's go again". Also considered the option of shooting same time to ensure the pig dies if he's using the .223. Really don't want to but I also don't think he's prepared to see a poorly shot pig suffer while we try to wrestle it and cut it's throat.

I appreciate the input, hoping to create a long term hunting partner here.

Dale

if his not ready ,don't put him in a bad situation .

if his not ready ,don't put him in a bad situation .

I'm with bluey. Spend some more time and get him ready. Get him in the kill zone at 100 yards. Make sure he can do what will be asked. There is plenty of time for the first real hunt.

Head shot with the 223. Back him up with 30-06. Do not start slitting pigs throats on first hunt. My nephews 10 and 6 are dying to go with me but they aren't ready yet. Still teaching ethics to them.

Can you do a squirrel hunt with the 22? That was a right if passage for me.

Or crossbow for pigs keep it within 20 yards. No recoil no noise.

...Do not start slitting pigs throats on first hunt...

If you have to dispatch a pig give it a headshot, you already said he would have a hard time handling it plus the headshot is more humane anyway. Also instead of charging straight in after a shot pig, give it 5 or 10 minutes to make sure the bullet has done its job and spare yourself the whole issue.

You can kill a lot of pigs instantly with a head shot from a .223. Get Barnes 55grn to 70grn and let him practice to 75-100 yds. I saw a tv show where Jim Shockey shot a pig with a .22 AIR GUN from about 25 yds....I agree, the throat slit will be tough for a 9 yr old to watch, but so will wounding your first game animal. Sounds like you have concerns about whether he is ready to hunt yet, not just the size/recoil issue. Go with your best "parenting" decision even if it is a year or two away. I'm glad you care enough to ask the question and good luck.

Look a 30-06 with a 125gr point wont kick allot at all, but only you would know the exact situation with the kid. If you are worried that the 30-06 is to big stick with the .223 but make sure that he can shoot very accurately.
Rather let him practice longer than letting him wound his first animal, that will stick with him for a lifetime.

I totally agree that to take the youngster if he is not "ready" at 9 years of age will be a disaster and could put him off for life...put in lots of range time and get his confidence built up and he will then produce a one shot kill, without all the hassles of throat cutting etc. If this ,eans another 2 - 3 yrs, then so be it!

I really do appreciate all the input guys. Not being a parent, this is the first "parenting" activity I'm really facing. Got him his first scoped 22, we've done a little squierrl hunting with my air rifle, and he's a honestly good shot. My father wasn't a hunter so I'm kind of shooting from the hip on how to break him in. I just know buck fever for myself and think if I'm a 9 year old and a pig bigger then me shows up, may get the shakes. May also be suprised and he will be a natural.

Realistically he will be able to shoot a pig at no more then 25 yards but he will be shooting 50yds this weekend. The only issue being he wanted the head for a European. May have to change that thinking to make sure asure all goes smooth.

the AR being a gas gun doesn't kick at all. give him ear plugs and electronic muffs turned up enough sop he can hear through the plugs. Lots of good suggestions about bullets and you as backup.

Take all the pressure off (you and him)
Perhaps he just gets to spend time with you and that is hunting.

I went through the same "stress" with my girlfriends first hunt. The stress was only self induced as she did everything perfectly after all our practice.

You raise a valid point brickburn, i think taking my stress off will only help him handle it better. Worst case scenario, we get a weekend away in the woods.

Go have some fun. Remember NINE years old.
What were you doing in grade 3?

Let him get the hog euro mount done with a 223 hole dead between the eyes. That would be awesome!!! I don't even like euro mounts but I would do that!!!

Head shot with the 223. Back him up with 30-06. Do not start slitting pigs throats on first hunt. My nephews 10 and 6 are dying to go with me but they aren't ready yet. Still teaching ethics to them.

Can you do a squirrel hunt with the 22? That was a right if passage for me.

Or crossbow for pigs keep it within 20 yards. No recoil no noise.

+1 for the crossbow. shoots like a rifle, accurate, no recoil and will handle a pig. I saw some youngster take a huge boar with a crossbow. To me it sounds a bit early to try him on a heavier rifle. Also I think BRICKBURN has an excellent suggestion. Maybe get him using a range finder and "spot" the pig for you. Good luck and have fun!

Load your rifle with the Nosler Partitions or some Barnes TSX/TX in .223 and let him get used to the gun during target training on various ranges and situations. I remember i was allowed to shoot my grandpa's single shot .223 on different targets in the forest and gained some "real" experience in shooting and learned about my own limits as a shooter. And as recommended earlier, I was given the most important task (I was told) and that was to spot the game for my dad. This didn't put any pressure on me and I loved to be a part of the hunt as a "real" man to :) And there was no way I could fxxk up the situation and be scared away from it either this way. When the shot was delivered I was allowed to take part of the skinning and gutting of the game, this did not affect me in a bad way even when I was covered in blood and guts after trying to help out. I think since I was taught that hunting and the stuff around it was natural I never had any issues about it, my cousin who never was given the same "education" is a different story... And the day I was ready I got my first game and is still looking back on it with a smile. So be a safe and steady mentor and you will have a hunting buddy in the making soon. You are doing the right thing by teaching him this way of living.
*Think kids are tougher than we think, I remember back on badger hunts we had with wooden spears and axes along with my uncle's Border collie... It was all in our minds that this was safe enough since we had the charcoal in the boots, the axe as back-up and the vicious dog by our side :E Horrified:

at 50 yards you shouldn't have trouble with penetration on a 223 it going so fast still i have killed some boars in the 200-250lb range. Granted these were mostly neck shots, Just behind the ear, It will punch through if you do a lung shot just behind the shoulder just fine. It may have some issues with larger bones.

so I would say
-power muffs - $50-60 dollars at academy (you already have these, but dont loose them :D)
- best quality bullet (and heaviest) you can find for 223 (your at 50yds probably so no much time to slow down)
- aim for the crease on the back of the shoulder (treat it like a bow and arrow quartering away is best and avoid large bones if possible)
- as much range time as possible (make sure hes having fun with it)
- put a scope on the AR if you don't already have one a nikon will be fine on a 223
- he will have enough adrenaline flowing that he wont feel the gun go off (I know i don't when shooting at an animal)

- Finally i wasn't the best shot either when I was little and killed alt of my first game animals with 20 ga buckshot. (16 pellets are better than 1, especially at close range)

I really appreciate the tips everyone! I am drawing some pig pics up on cardboard at work so can give him real practice at where to shoot. If he isn't doing great with it, it'll become a 2 shooter deal just in case. He honestly shoots great and controls breathing well. You just never know when the first time comes to kill an animal the same size or even bigger then he is.

I am going to approach range time different. Instead of paper, do some balloons and bottles to make little more fun for him. Try to take any pressure off he may feel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,