Hunting Jackals

Carter123

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
New to jackal hunting , here in South Africa , many friends just shoot them when they see them at night or in the day , not really targeting them. Heard many stories of people using speakers and playing jackal howls and calls in order to bait the jackals to that area . Has anyone ever used this method and how does it work . Are there any other effective ways to target the jackal species ?

Are you looking at trophy hunting jackal or problem animal control?

Calling and shooting is an effective way to hunt these intelligent animals, as long as you're doing it right. Jackal are very smart and one wrong move could mean many more losses for the farmer. I'm by no means an expert, there are guys doing it for a living. I've shot 14 for the year thus far.

Be mindful of caliber and bullet selection when hunting for trophy. I shoot 55gr varminter bullets from my 243 to effect maximum damage and the flattest possible trajectory to give me an advantage while hunting jackal where they are a nuisance. It's spectacularly effective, but half your trophy will be gone.
IMG-20220105-WA0100.jpg

Are you looking at trophy hunting jackal or problem animal control?

Calling and shooting is an effective way to hunt these intelligent animals, as long as you're doing it right. Jackal are very smart and one wrong move could mean many more losses for the farmer. I'm by no means an expert, there are guys doing it for a living. I've shot 14 for the year thus far.

Be mindful of caliber and bullet selection when hunting for trophy. I shoot 55gr varminter bullets from my 243 to effect maximum damage and the flattest possible trajectory to give me an advantage while hunting jackal where they are a nuisance. It's spectacularly effective, but half your trophy will be gone. View attachment 448285

Awesome jackal , just looking to shoot them as pest control . Around my area specifically there is a major rabies outbreak in dogs and jackals , so we shoot them on sight . Just wondering if there is an effective way to bait them or lure them .

If I were to play an audio through my speaker , and sit in silence while the audio plays , would I have any luck with these animals

I'd suggest to get a professional jackal hunter to help you out if the problem is serious.

Calling jackal is not as easy as it seems and doing it wrong will ensure headaches for the farmer in the future.

A good place to start is buy yourself this book by Hein Funch:

Or accompany a jackal hunter in your area on a few hunts and see what it all entails.

Hunting jackal successfully generally involves long, cold nights but can be very rewarding and fun as well.

"Are you looking at trophy hunting jackal or problem animal control?"
Trophy?
That sounds like it would be the same as a "trophy" Coyote here in Texas!
Ranchers shot coyotes and hung hem on the barb wire fences near the cattle guard entrances to their property.
We teen age boys helped out the ranchers by doing the same.

My buddy and I shot jackals and a couple other varmints at night in RSA, but just left them where they fell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois