Hunting in the USA

BTW, a big game applicant DOES have to pay more for an "outfitter enhanced" preference point so that the outfitters know their clients will draw a tag.
Sir it appears you have been mis-informed. Wyoming does NOT have a Outfitter enhanced anything. You buy a preference point each year. When you have maximum preference points for a particular hunt unit then your chances of drawing go up significantly.
You can apply for a special license or a regular license in the drawing. The special costs noticeably more and in most cases increases your odds of being drawn. Likely that is part of the confusion.
I understand not wanting to pay more. I also understand not liking the wilderness hunt rule. Every state has their regs. Some we hate more than others. Don't know how we as individuals change it.
Bruce

Sir it appears you have been mis-informed. Wyoming does NOT have a Outfitter enhanced anything. You buy a preference point each year. When you have maximum preference points for a particular hunt unit then your chances of drawing go up significantly.
You can apply for a special license or a regular license in the drawing. The special costs noticeably more and in most cases increases your odds of being drawn. Likely that is part of the confusion.
I understand not wanting to pay more. I also understand not liking the wilderness hunt rule. Every state has their regs. Some we hate more than others. Don't know how we as individuals change it.
Bruce
Your right. I was thinking of the “special” license. Somehow I mistakenly tied it into needing to apply for it instead of a regular license if going with an outfitter? Thanks for the clarification.

I suspect that in most states, the department that manages the state's wildlife relies excessively on non-resident license fees. Last I checked, non-residents were providing about 80-85% of Colorado's funding. I make a point of saying "Thanks" to the numerous non-residents I meet in the woods, as they help keep my resident fees lower. ALL of the license fees have gone up in the last few years.
For those of you in the eastern part of the country, (that is anyone living east of Colorado, lol), it really is not hard, nor terribly expensive, to do a DIY western hunt for elk, deer or pronghorn. With the exception of wilderness areas in WY, virtually all of the western states have a LOT of public land available to camp and hunt on without an outfitter. Permit application systems vary a little, but most have some form of preference point system. (There are outfits that will do all your paperwork for every state available-don't know what they charge).
With the ability to "scout" online, getting good information about states/areas is very doable without spending a fortune traveling back and forth, or going in blind. Biggest issue for most of our visitors here is elevation. I live on the prairie, not the mountains, at 6050' above sea level. Get in shape. That applies whether you DIY or spend $7k or more for an outfitter.
Not unlike Africa, bring enough gun. While you can kill an elk with a .243, the legal minimum in Colorado, I consider a .270 the minimum. 30 cal and up is even better. (yeah, yeah, yeah, that argument is for another thread). Practice shooting beyond 100 yards. Getting proficient out to 300 will improve your odds of filling your tag in any of the western states. By the same token, you don't need to be able to shoot a running elk in the timber at 450 yards off-hand.
I'm looking at a DIY moose hunt in Montana in the next year or two. My expectation is it will cost me less than $3k, all in. Figure that 450lbs of moose-meat will cost me less than $7/lb. If I took anyone but my son to share the cost, it gets even cheaper.
Sorry for the length, but it is very realistic to hunt anywhere in the continental west for less than Africa, if you're willing to put in the effort. Success is largely dictated by that effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!