Hunting in Kaokoland?

Impressive trophies.........especially like your oryx and eland......thanks for the post.............good thread............FWB

Impressive trophies.........especially like your oryx and eland......thanks for the post.............good thread............FWB
I hunted there several years ago with Vaughan Fulton. Tremendous gemsbok and springbok there with lions constantly leaving Etosha.

I've spend a lot of time in Namibia. Normally hunt just south of "Kaokoland" in "Damaraland" in the mountains just east of Kamanjob. We've (wife and I) have rented cars every year and spent 30-days or so after hunting, just "touring" all over the place there and still a lot more to see/do. Every area is very unique in terrane and flora/fauna. Self travel is safe as long as you use normal caution and judgment.

As you may have read, Namibia has been in the middle of a multi-year drought. This year some areas have gotten some good rains and some areas might have enough to just make it through to next rainy season. The problem is not insufficient water for game to drink as most of this is supplied via bore holes (wells). The problem is not enough rain to sustain enough grass and browes for the game to eat. A lot of game will not touch supplemental feeds if it is available and generally while it might be available to purchase, the price/cost is just not affordable. Needless to say, game populations over most of the country are down a good bit.

Your questions about lion/leopard in that area is generally yes. Will you see them, only a maybe. If you're asking about hunting leopard and lion the answer is, yes, tags/permits are available but subject to very limited quota.

Your question about "springbok as they are a little different there" is yes in that springbok in Namibia in general are bigger bodied then other countries so, logically the horn size tend on the larger size also.

I have never personally met Jamy Trout, but I know he has a good reputation.

As far as "Is this area more expensive than the highlands closer to Windhoek?" The answer to this is as varied as there are operators. A lot has to do with if the operator/outfitter is hunting his own private land and or neighboring farms/ranches or if they are hunting contracted/leased communal or govt lands. Generally, those operating out of their own lands are less expensive due primarily lower overhead costs. Your lodging is there on the property and owned by the landowner. Those operating via a concession are either running tented camps or have to hire/contract for lodging. Then too as mentioned above, you may lose precious hunting time traveling from lodging to the hunting area daily. You also have to consider the daily rates for a DG (lion, leopard, buff, ele etc) are considerably higher than for PG hunts.

To answer your question about, "How many outfits operate there?", you need to understand how Namibia licenses. There are four "categories" of "PH's" there.

1 - Game Guides. They are private land owners who have their land listed and approved for hunting. They obtain a license and can conduct "non-dangerous" (PG only) hunts ONLY on their property.

2 - Master Guides. Again, private landowners but they can now guide PG only on their own land and upto 3 adjoining properties.

3 - Professional Hunter. The holder of this license can guide PG only anywhere in Namibia as long as they have landowner written permission. They generally do and annual "lease" with quota limits or agree to pay a daily "trespass fee" and per head of game.

4 - Dangerous Game PH. They are licensed to hunt all of Namibia for PG and DG with the same landowner permission.

With that understanding, virtually every farm/ranch owner has a license to take PG hunters on their property. Most also have MG licenses and agreements with their neighbors. A few are PH's (non-DG) who are working toward getting their DG rating. As a total percentage of all license holders in Namibia the DG rated ones are somewhat limited - therefore charge more even if just conducting PG hunts.

Don't believe that you CAN'T get a great experience/hunt from a Guide or Master Guide. Farms/ranches in Namibia are very large - 20k-100k acres or more. Some are low-fenced, free range and some are high-fenced.

My advice is to shop around and ask a lot of questions and the prices will run the gambit. For example, my friend charges $17,500 for a 14-day all in leopard hunt, including pre-baiting and refresh baits during the hunt and refunds $4000 if you don't get a shot opportunity. His normal daily rate for PG is $265/day and charges a per head, per species trophy fee. His property is about 50k low-fence acres and has access another 100k+ in neighboring farms too. He just so happens to have one 7-day all in exportable buffalo up in the Caprvi for this fall for $17500.00.

My point being, shop around, and ask lot's of questions before you put money down.

Like most, I’m dreaming about better times ahead someday...

I’d like to learn about options and information for hunting in Kaokoland. The landscape intrigues and fascinates me.

I would be interested in zebra, kudu and gemsbok - possibly eland. And I should also think about springbok as they are a little different there (I think).

Is this area more expensive than the highlands closer to Windhoek? How many outfits operate there? Recommendations?

Has anyone hunted there? Last night I saw a wonderful movie on YouTube about a leopard hunt there, with @Jamy Traut Hunting Safaris (a sponsor here) - I’m dying to know if they got the leopard and / or lion! And a recent article by Phil Massaro in Sports Afield, again hunting with Jamy, about zebra with his .300H&H, was very exciting and interesting to me. So Kaokoland is on my mind.

Thank you in advance for the learning.

Ben

I finally finished the video. It’s a good representation of hunting there. That hunt was just before mine. The problem animal permit for lion didn’t come through until the very end of their hunt. I was actually offered the lion hunt at a very good price for my hunt, but didn’t want to give up my plains game hunt to do it at the time. A hunter just after me got the lion.

I don't recall seeing any baboons when I was last there. But that is never a foolish question. I would trade all of my varmint rifles for one last baboon hunt................FWB

You might laugh at my question, but... what are the baboon opportunities like in Kaokoland?
I saw some big troops of baboons and they gave us shot opportunities. If you want 1 big male I think it would be a good place, but they are also on a quota system like any other game animal.

Baboons, the Olive or Chacma baboon is far and away the most prevalent species. There would only be a "quota" if they are being hunted on a concession that places a quota on them based on the limits game/species limits in the concession contract.

Generally, on private farms/ranches the property owner's don't place limits on the number that can be killed as pests. However, it/when your PH applies for and gets a clients hunting license the govt puts a limit of two on the license that can be taken as "trophies" for export.

They are an incredibly challenging as a dedicated hunt due primarily to their INCREDIBLE eyesight. Yet, if you're well concealed in a blind and downwind at a waterhole, we've had them within 40m and they had no clue we were there.

Most people have NO IDEA how destructive they can be. Not only to buildings, blinds etc, but to calving game as well as "small stock" like goats and sheep. Baboons are just like us, they are omnivores and will kill and DO eat meat when afforded the opportunity. We've watched a troop follow a small herd of springbok over a couple of days. They would wait until a female was about to give birth or just after the calf dropped and rush in and snatch it away. One big male even killed a female while the calf was being born and she couldn't run.

From what I understand from my friends just south that that area, the drought has really knocked the hell out of the baboon populations last year. Water to drink at the boreholes but not enough grass, seeds, grubs, insects etc to live on.

They do make great leopard baits as they are natural enemies.

I've spend a lot of time in Namibia. Normally hunt just south of "Kaokoland" in "Damaraland" in the mountains just east of Kamanjob. We've (wife and I) have rented cars every year and spent 30-days or so after hunting, just "touring" all over the place there and still a lot more to see/do. Every area is very unique in terrane and flora/fauna. Self travel is safe as long as you use normal caution and judgment.

As you may have read, Namibia has been in the middle of a multi-year drought. This year some areas have gotten some good rains and some areas might have enough to just make it through to next rainy season. The problem is not insufficient water for game to drink as most of this is supplied via bore holes (wells). The problem is not enough rain to sustain enough grass and browes for the game to eat. A lot of game will not touch supplemental feeds if it is available and generally while it might be available to purchase, the price/cost is just not affordable. Needless to say, game populations over most of the country are down a good bit.

Your questions about lion/leopard in that area is generally yes. Will you see them, only a maybe. If you're asking about hunting leopard and lion the answer is, yes, tags/permits are available but subject to very limited quota.

Your question about "springbok as they are a little different there" is yes in that springbok in Namibia in general are bigger bodied then other countries so, logically the horn size tend on the larger size also.

I have never personally met Jamy Trout, but I know he has a good reputation.

As far as "Is this area more expensive than the highlands closer to Windhoek?" The answer to this is as varied as there are operators. A lot has to do with if the operator/outfitter is hunting his own private land and or neighboring farms/ranches or if they are hunting contracted/leased communal or govt lands. Generally, those operating out of their own lands are less expensive due primarily lower overhead costs. Your lodging is there on the property and owned by the landowner. Those operating via a concession are either running tented camps or have to hire/contract for lodging. Then too as mentioned above, you may lose precious hunting time traveling from lodging to the hunting area daily. You also have to consider the daily rates for a DG (lion, leopard, buff, ele etc) are considerably higher than for PG hunts.

To answer your question about, "How many outfits operate there?", you need to understand how Namibia licenses. There are four "categories" of "PH's" there.

1 - Game Guides. They are private land owners who have their land listed and approved for hunting. They obtain a license and can conduct "non-dangerous" (PG only) hunts ONLY on their property.

2 - Master Guides. Again, private landowners but they can now guide PG only on their own land and upto 3 adjoining properties.

3 - Professional Hunter. The holder of this license can guide PG only anywhere in Namibia as long as they have landowner written permission. They generally do and annual "lease" with quota limits or agree to pay a daily "trespass fee" and per head of game.

4 - Dangerous Game PH. They are licensed to hunt all of Namibia for PG and DG with the same landowner permission.

With that understanding, virtually every farm/ranch owner has a license to take PG hunters on their property. Most also have MG licenses and agreements with their neighbors. A few are PH's (non-DG) who are working toward getting their DG rating. As a total percentage of all license holders in Namibia the DG rated ones are somewhat limited - therefore charge more even if just conducting PG hunts.

Don't believe that you CAN'T get a great experience/hunt from a Guide or Master Guide. Farms/ranches in Namibia are very large - 20k-100k acres or more. Some are low-fenced, free range and some are high-fenced.

My advice is to shop around and ask a lot of questions and the prices will run the gambit. For example, my friend charges $17,500 for a 14-day all in leopard hunt, including pre-baiting and refresh baits during the hunt and refunds $4000 if you don't get a shot opportunity. His normal daily rate for PG is $265/day and charges a per head, per species trophy fee. His property is about 50k low-fence acres and has access another 100k+ in neighboring farms too. He just so happens to have one 7-day all in exportable buffalo up in the Caprvi for this fall for $17500.00.

My point being, shop around, and ask lot's of questions before you put money down.
Thanks for this report! It is so great to hear detailed reports and information from well informed and experienced people.

I don't recall seeing any baboons when I was last there. But that is never a foolish question. I would trade all of my varmint rifles for one last baboon hunt................FWB
I so want to kill a big ol baboon...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!