Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA,Military Pistol Club
Hunted
Australia,Zimbabwe
I am current applying for a contract with a mining company here is Aus. If successful, the first stage is 3 month stay in Germany (not sure where).

I would like to know what the possibilities are for a visitor to do some hunting (if any). If anyone has any ideas I would be greatfull if you could let me know.

If you are sincere, and lucky (!), you may meet a a land- (aka estate) owner who will invite you to hunt with him, mostly driven game : roe deer & hogs. My wife was trying on cowboy hats in Amarillo, having just driven back from a cow elk hunt in nearby NM. Visitors in the shop were speaking German, all hunters, guys & gals, & we ended up invited to hunt with them on their home property...Haven't gone...yet,,,Africa has "captured" us for now... rural Germans, like country people the world over, are great folks...Your best bet is to research the region you'll be staying & get out & meet people, in pubs, in jaegergeshefts (hunting stores) and best place, drive up & speak w/farmers...Be open & honest & you'll be pleasantly surprised...

Richteb
Sorry I'm a bit behind on this one, I see that the first post is a year old now. If you are still interested by all means PM me with any questions. I am currently not in Germany, having to take a semi arid sabbatical somewhere north of Pakistan.
The bottom line is there are ways to go hunting and the licensing is actually quite quick and easy. I can get you some contact info for local Bavarian Jagers and forest meysters who would be willing to put you in the high seat for Reh bock and boar. If you have a desire for Red Deer you might need to take a package hunt with an outfitter. Not as cheap as hunting with the locals but very nice. Let me know.

Being a military brat I had the great fortune of hunting Germany about 14 years ago. I loved every second of it. At the time getting the license is kind of tuff. You can't just go to Walmart and buy a license and tag. The two weeks of class room work learning the animals and traditions of hunting is something I will never forget. Times ave changed so it may be a little easier to hunt now. If you have the chance to go with a local forester do it. You don't see a Roe buck every day. To have a skull mount or even better yet a shoulder mount would be something few people have. I have never seen one here in the states other than the 10 in my sons room. I hope to some day return to at least Europe an hunt again!

The license for a "tourist" is very easy to get. Essentially all you need is proof of a license from another country and your passport with entry stamp as a form of identification. Once your hunting background has been established you are entitled to buy a 29 day tourist license, in two week increments. Price is about 25 euro per license. This is not the same as your German Jagdsheim, it is for tourist hunters only.

Thanks for all the info.

Macs, I am still waiting to find out if I am going. Should know in the next week or so. If I do I will pm and take advantage of your knowledge.

Again, thanks.

I am living in Germany, and can answer question about hunting here.

Any information possible please. Looking for a mid-summer reh/wild hunt. I generally travel to Germany (Frankfurt) area every 2 years or less and would like to go for a few days on a hunt. Thank you.

Any information possible please. Looking for a mid-summer reh/wild hunt. I generally travel to Germany (Frankfurt) area every 2 years or less and would like to go for a few days on a hunt. Thank you.

Have you hunted in Germany before? I don't know any hunters in Frankfurt/Main area. I will ask around to see if anyone I know, knows anyone in that area.

Have you hunted in Germany before? I don't know any hunters in Frankfurt/Main area. I will ask around to see if anyone I know, knows anyone in that area.
I don't necessarily need to hunt around Frankfurt/ Main area. I am interested in anywhere in Germany that has reh/ wild. I was stationed in Hanau in the late 80s early 90s and did not get an opportunity to hunt while there. My wife's family is still there and this is why we go back every few years. I have a friend who is currently in Vilseck and gets to hunt there during culls of reds/ reh/ wild. He is retiring from there and will be coming back stateside next year so I will loose that contact there.

Am German, living in Germany, so I might be able to support. Basically there are two requirements in Germany to be allowed to actually hunt.
First, you need a hunting license. As before described by Macs B, a license from another country is required to get a visitors license. However, the criteria from that country to obtain the license must be proven to be equal to those of Germany; in other words, there must have been a hunting school of some sort teaching you about any sort of stuff. With that comes the allowance to carry and use a gun on certain animals (it is also possible to have a gun license to shoot only on paper targets, however, that does not allow you to carry it around to hunt).
Second, you neeed to right to hunt somewhere. In Germany the land owner also has the hunting right on his ground by constitution. Land owners are more or less forced to join in order to reach a certain land size; the right to hunt on this area than usually is sold (for a minimum of 10 years) to one or more people that have to have a hunting license (if an owner has a license, he, of course ,can be the one, too). Depending on the size of the area and the animlas therin, that can be quite costly. If you do not have bought that right, you depend on someone who has to invite you.
That's about it. I myself have unofficially paid someone to "invite" me permanently.
Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg