Hunting in Alberta and transport in NA

Discussion in 'Hunting USA & Canada' started by Northwest9, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Northwest9

Northwest9 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, NZ, Fiji, Namibia
    Good Morning

I have a black bear hunt booked at Manning in Alberta in September next year, and am going thru the motions of organising the surrounding details

The family and I will likely fly into Calgary or Edmonton, then need to get up to Manning for a 4 day hunt, but would then want to get across to Springfield Ohio to visit some of the wifes family

Flying everywhere will only have us seeing the insides of airports, so I would kind of like to drive. I know it will take longer, but will make it a much better trip i think

Is buying a car in Canada and leaving it with family in Ohio to sell an option?

Early searches have car rental at around 5k even if only hired in the US, and left in the US. Noone does cross border, one way hires.

Any suggestions? flying 4 of us from Calgary to Springfield will be cheaper, but we will miss all that fantastic countryside

Thanks in advance
    Steve

2. TMac

TMac AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    US (AK, WA, OR, MT, WY, SD, NV, UT, NM), Canada (Alberta, BC)
    I bought a boat in Canada, towed it to the USA. Getting it titled was a major pain. You might want to see what the rules are for the state you plan to sell it in.

3. AustinL

AustinL AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    Have you looked at flights into great falls Mt if you are going to buy and sell it might be easier to buy in the US drive up and drive back

4. Aaron Nietfeld

Aaron Nietfeld AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, South Africa
    I’m not sure about your financial situation, but if you could swing it, I would buy a slightly used diesel truck in Edmonton, use it for the hunt, then drive it to Ohio. With the exchange, and the demand for the trucks in the states, you might even pay for the hunt!

5. dailordasailor

dailordasailor AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    How long is your trip total? If coming in through Canada, rent car in Canada and return wherever you plan to cross border. Then rent a car in the US for the drive to Ohio. Return when get to Ohio and rent another one that will return to same place you rented it.

The one way fee is what’s so damn expensive. Return cars as soon as done going from point to point then rent one for same rent/return location. I can rent a car for $150 a week if return to place I rent it.

6. Longwalker

Longwalker AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatchewan Trappers Association, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
    Hunted:
    Canada ( Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Yukon) USA ( Montana) Germany, South Africa ( E.C)
    Not sure about the laws in the USA but Canada makes it quite legally complicated and expensive to buy a used vehicle in the USA and import to Canada. I advise caution, check the USA import and licensing laws very carefully. The used diesel truck idea does sound interesting. I think it's a good option if you can make the import/ export thing work.