HUNTING Axis Deer

Lone Star Bluegrass

AH fanatic
Joined
Feb 22, 2022
Messages
548
Reaction score
1,261
Does anybody have any diagrams on the vitals of axis? I haven’t been able to find any and all the post mortems I’ve done have been on animals that were hanging and that’s not a natural position of the animal (obviously).


full
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just like the Indian black back and Nilgai I also find the Indian Chital to have its vitals a little forward. Slightly I’m sure

Just on the crease of/on the shoulder. I’m sure there some lung hanging back behind but just shoot it’s shoulder.

Just my thoughts!
 
Why thank you, @Sideshow
Yeah, Axis deer is a big game hunting staple here in South Bengal. And I hunt them quite regularly.
FB_IMG_1683320557241.jpg
Messenger_creation_665951e7-33b2-4220-a50f-641729998704.jpg
IMG_20230419_154430.jpg
IMG-20230722-WA0001.jpg


From my autobiography
IMG_20240626_044214.jpg
IMG_20240626_044234.jpg


Best shot placement on an Axis deer is right behind the shoulder.

When hunting Axis deer in their natural habitat (the Sundarban mangrove forests), we actually aim for the shoulder/scapula itself. We try to down the Axis deer as fast as possible, otherwise it frequently makes off into the mangroves (which is Royal Bengal tiger territory).
 
Last edited:
Why thank you, @Sideshow
Yeah, Axis deer is a big game hunting staple here in South Bengal. And I hunt them quite regularly.View attachment 616173View attachment 616172View attachment 616174View attachment 616177

From my autobiography View attachment 616175View attachment 616176

Best shot placement on an Axis deer is right behind the shoulder.

When hunting Axis deer in their natural habitat (the Sundarban mangrove forests), we actually aim for the shoulder/scapula itself. We try to down the Axis deer as fast as possible, otherwise it frequently makes off into the mangroves (which is Royal Bengal tiger territory).

Thank you! A very interesting read, especially the relationship between axis and monkeys.
 
Back in 2009 and 2010 I worked on a cattle ranch that also was over run with Axis deer. The owner being an Air Force Vet and pro military decided that in order to do our part to support our troops we would cull a large amount of axis deer and have it processed into jerky and smoked sausage and send it to our troops in the sand box. During that time frame I stopped counting when I hit number 200……. I didn’t stop shooting, just stopped counting. I mainly used a rem 700 .223 KVS and most it was head shots.
 
I shot mine right behind the shoulder just like any deer. It dropped right where it stood…..

3 weeks ago with @MG Hunting and @ROCKET in Argentina
IMG_1320.jpeg
 
Only shot one, in the hill country back in January. Young buck broadside at 60 yds with a spicy 7mm RM Partition. Shot him right where you’re supposed to. Dropped on the spot. Then he hopped back up and walked straight towards me. Dumbfounded and looking around for John Quinones in the brush, I finally shot him again in the neck at 20 yds. I appreciated the short drag, but still am asking wtf.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,293
Messages
1,571,844
Members
169,429
Latest member
AnnaDonagh
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top