How much practice time with new rifle is needed?

Take your new rifle hunting. Hogs, whitetail, whatever it doesn't matter. just get into the field and build muscle memory and confidence under actual hunting conditions.
Yes to this. Go to the field and act like a predator. If you can go after hogs because they are quasi-dangerous game. Put yourself in the position to shoulder and shoot instinctively. When you do this and connect without thinking about the gun then you are ready. If the rifle is still awkward and you are still thinking about it then keeping shooting hogs.

I have seen suggestions on AH to practice dry fire with the sticks while watching TV
Only while binge watching old episodes of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom

I should really see if a local store has a Blaser with a thumbhole stock, to try in my hands
In photos, the combination of the thumb hole stock and the cocking lever LOOKS AS IF reaching the cocking lever wouldn's be as easy as with a traditional stock.

I’ve got one with a traditional and also a thumbhole stock. I haven’t had any difference in using the cocking button. Also, as an aside, I have noticed that it might be actually a little quicker to work the bolt and stay in firing position on the thumb hole. The thumbhole keeps your hand and firing position and you can actually just use your first finger or two to work the bolt. Here is a video showing somebody doing it:

Dry Fire & all the Live fire you can afford...All the Above plus don't forget Rifle PT. Workout with your rifle

View attachment 328709

View attachment 328710
View attachment 328711

Running or walking the local H.S. track will get a lot of unwanted attention...however if you own a treadmill or elliptical at home sling your rifle while you work out and then dry fire with elevated hart rate.

Fred,
Good Lord! I haven't seen those rifle drills in decades. Brings back a lot of memories of early mornings in the dark on a grinder.

I like to ventilate (figuratively speaking) those talking heads on tv during the commercials. They make pretty good moving targets. Good off sticks or snapshooting.

shoot the sumbitch 432 times at targets rocks rabbits ravens and things floating on water at the bank of a wash that your are standing in kill a snake shoot an egg at 50 paces --- in other words get to know the fucking gun

432 rounds shoot it at paper in to the rocks kill a rabbit shoot at a squirrel lob one in to abommas wife's grass a 4 ft x 4 ft rock at 400 yards shoot it in a wash at the other bank right next to the one you are leaning against kill a snake at 27 yds -- civic duty -- in other words get to know your friging rifle make it and you one in the same you will like africa but you will like that more than you like africa -- you will reach down in to your pocket and this time you will not find your pocket knife you will find a man

Last edited:
432 rounds shoot it at paper in to the rocks kill a rabbit shoot at a squirrel lob one in to abommas wife's grass a 4 ft x 4 ft rock at 400 yards shoot it in a wash at the other bank right next to the one you are leaning against kill a snake at 27 yds -- civic duty -- in other words get to know your friging rifle make it and you one in the same you will like africa but you will like that more than you like africa -- you will reach down in to your pocket and this time you will not find your pocket knife you will find a man

Take it easy Francis.

New rifle practice is progressing. More shooting this weekend. My son and I are liking the R8s!
The uncertainty of if my June 11th departure date will happen was at first distressing. I’ve been praying a lot and if the trip gets postponed, that is OK. I see the time to practice with my son as our precious opportunity to work together to improve and, more importantly, to spend time together. I love hunting for the journey and adventure that it provides us. A big part of that journey is before the plane flight.
At the bow range last night I was reminded of how shooting, be it archery or rifle, allows my mind to focus on the moment and shut out the noise of the day. It was a welcome relief from the constant negatives of the Corona virus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlejandroM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.