How much ammunition for plains game hunting trip to South Africa?

I’ll have to look into that and make sure I get a bag that’s legal
Just do like I do and get a cheap Walmart roller bag. The airlines are going to destroy it anyway! I usually get 3 trips out of one.
You can NOT take a standard duffel bag through JNB anymore.

Sometimes. I have yet to be asked to do so.
Definitely inconsistent but it’s Africa!
Yes the ammo must be in a hard case that is locked and able to withstand the baggage handlers. Make sure it has a luggage tag!
Last trip to Namibia on departure they wanted to, of course, check the ammo separately. I pleaded with them to allow us to put it in the suitcase as we were checking through to ATL. I went upstairs and found the boss lady at WDH and she was not real happy but understood and allowed us, with inspection by her, go ahead and keep ammo in the luggage.
Hey it’s Africa!

On the 11 pounds weight limit- ammo only Vs ammo plus box:

Has anyone in USA
A. Actually had their ammo (including box) declared overweight?
B. If so, was it an issue to get rid of a box of ammo to get the weight in line? How so?

I'm spending the night in Atlanta before departure, so won't be close to home or anyone to hand off to. At this point I'm planning to take two rifles.

I second Wally World for suitcases. Got a Coleman brand there and it was the lightest on the shelves. Yep, the baggage gorillas will trash them anyway. Have purchased good ones and the zipper tags were inexplicably broken off.

The duffle bag I have is actually a soft sided roller
IIRC, they need to have one hard side. Additionally, some airlines limit carry-ons to 8 kilos..

Just do like I do and get a cheap Walmart roller bag. The airlines are going to destroy it anyway! I usually get 3 trips out of one.
You can NOT take a standard duffel bag through JNB anymore.
Only thing about cheap Walmart bags is to make sure they have a good quality zipper. I bought an LL Bean large rolling duffle bag on sale and can’t be happier with it, it is going to get a lot more than 3 trips.

OK, we went from how much ammo to what case to use for it and now we're in to baggage reviews.
Not too bad so far.
e-rofl.gif

Only thing about cheap Walmart bags is to make sure they have a good quality zipper. I bought an LL Bean large rolling duffle bag on sale and can’t be happier with it, it is going to get a lot more than 3 trips.

I have a LL Bean duffle that has been on the road with me for the better part of 20 years. During that time I was flying every week between Maine and Buffalo. Did that for 6 months. It’s been on planes, trains and automobiles and is still usable.

I have a LL Bean duffle that has been on the road with me for the better part of 20 years. During that time I was flying every week between Maine and Buffalo. Did that for 6 months. It’s been on planes, trains and automobiles and is still usable.
Just curious, was that made here? New ones are "imported". A lot of former USA, well made items are resting on their laurels and don't last as long.

my model 700 in 30-06.
Well now Mr. Gator Hunter I just so happens, I'm selling the perfect 30-06 ammo for a plains game hunt. In the perfect amount (160 rounds) to zero your M700 and practice with just enough left over (60 rounds) to go hunting with... Look for my Post in the classified section...Swift Factory A-Frame ammo...I'll be happy to supply you with all your needs...

Maybe it will make more than three trips who knows? I’ve had the Coleman brand cheap bags and they last a while but they all get beat up eventually especially the places I’ve been. Maybe someday I’ll spring for a new Pelican suitcase

That may work. It’s just a regular duffel bag that is not allowed anymore.

Lightfighter® Loadout Bag:​

The "Original Rolling Footlocker" with over 30,000 sold and in use worldwide. Slightly longer than the Deployer, the Lightfighter® features a padded laptop compartment as well as a general-purpose pouch inside. Designed to be lived out of, the Lightfighter has mesh pockets, perfect for smaller items, in the lid and specific "D-Rings" you can attach to your bunk. With enough room for extended journeys or several months deployment, as well as longevity features FPG is known for, the Lightfighter® will be with you for years to come.

Mine has been to war I Africa and I never leave home without it. Run a search on eBay and pick up used from troops ending their tours...

It will be a couple years before I can plan a plains game trip to SA but I have been trying to gather information now. I have doesn’t a lot of reading in here about what to pack for clothes and gear and what rifles are key. What I can’t seem to find is how much ammo to bring. I know there are limits on total number of rounds and I think from what I see it’s 200 max per caliber. I don’t plan to bring 200 rounds. I have a pelican case that will hold my ammo boxes I normally use. As of right now I’m planning on taking my model 70 in 375 h&h and my model 700 in 30-06. What I am wondering is how many rounds does everyone consider enough when going plains game hunting? Right now my pelican case will hold my 100 round box for 30-06 and 4 20 round boxes for the 375. What are your thoughts? How much is too much?
@Gatorhunter1313
I took 60 rounds of 35 Whelen ammo and used 6 for 5 animals
Used another 15, 3 sighting in and 12 for people to play with.
All depends on the extent of the hunt you wish to do and If'n you have to resight your scope or heaven forbid your spare scope. Yes I did take a spare scope just in case, never needed it but you never know when Murphy will rear his big head.
Bob

That’s always the biggest question. The more I look at hunting packages the more I change my mind. My real dream is an oryx in SA. After that anything is a bonus.
@Gatorhunter1313
There are some good outfitters in SA but check Namibia you will find it's cheaper
received_498300927681654.jpeg

My Namibian Oryx 38 inches.
Bob

It will be a couple years before I can plan a plains game trip to SA but I have been trying to gather information now. I have doesn’t a lot of reading in here about what to pack for clothes and gear and what rifles are key. What I can’t seem to find is how much ammo to bring. I know there are limits on total number of rounds and I think from what I see it’s 200 max per caliber. I don’t plan to bring 200 rounds. I have a pelican case that will hold my ammo boxes I normally use. As of right now I’m planning on taking my model 70 in 375 h&h and my model 700 in 30-06. What I am wondering is how many rounds does everyone consider enough when going plains game hunting? Right now my pelican case will hold my 100 round box for 30-06 and 4 20 round boxes for the 375. What are your thoughts? How much is too much?
I have a Dee Zee Alumasport double rifle case and a Pelican double rifle case, both with wheels. I take two rifles to AK every spring for brown bear guiding - my .458 Lott and a .375H&H or a .338WM for a camp rifle for clients to borrow. I don’t even own a single rifle case. I usually take two rifles to Africa if I am hunting DG & PG. It’s also easy to attach another bag on top of my rolling gun cases with a buggy cord and roll it all as one unit in the airport while carrying my carryon on my shoulder.

Since you are hunting PG only, as Redleg and others advise, you can do just fine with one rifle. However, it’s also perfectly fine to take two rifles. If all you have is a double rifle case anyway, why not fill it up? One of the reasons we own rifles is to shoot them, right?? My rifle cases with two rifles and some other gear in them still weigh just 50 pounds or a bit less. With two rifles on the trip, 40 rounds for each would be plenty.

Lightfighter® Loadout Bag:​

The "Original Rolling Footlocker" with over 30,000 sold and in use worldwide. Slightly longer than the Deployer, the Lightfighter® features a padded laptop compartment as well as a general-purpose pouch inside. Designed to be lived out of, the Lightfighter has mesh pockets, perfect for smaller items, in the lid and specific "D-Rings" you can attach to your bunk. With enough room for extended journeys or several months deployment, as well as longevity features FPG is known for, the Lightfighter® will be with you for years to come.

Mine has been to war I Africa and I never leave home without it. Run a search on eBay and pick up used from troops ending their tours...
The duffle bag I have is actually a soft sided roller

Wow that is a serious bag! Might have to have one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber