How many rounds for Elephant?

For the life of me, I can’t understand why anyone would take the bare minimum ammunition needed. You’re allowed 5 kg’s/11 lbs. so why only take the minimum you expect to need. Take at least 40 rounds. You may use them for any variety of reasons. Anything left over, leave it for thePH or some hunter who might come later.

The 5kg/11lbs limit, which also includes the case and locks, I am able to get combined 33 rounds of 9,3x62 and 45 rounds of 375 Ruger. Aluminum locks saves some weight.

Went with 15 solids for the .375 and 10 for the 9,3X62 incase needed for buff and tiny 10 opportunities. If we need more than that better hang it up

Last edited:
For a 2-gun safari of medium and large bores, I find that I need 50 rounds of varying softs/solids across the two calibers to avoid a crisis. I've come close, with maybe 1-2 rounds left at the end of a hunt in a specific configuration, and then I've returned home with unopened boxes of the other type.

11 pounds, maximum ammo permitted. That's roughly 50-60 rounds in the larger stuff.

Always err on the side of solids. A soft won't work for elephant, nor grysbok, nor klippy, but a solid will work for almost everything, even if not ideal.
For perspective, I bought the lightest hard plastic case I could buy with one locking hole on it. I was able to get 50 rounds of 500 NE and 30 rounds of 375 and with the TSA lock come in right at 11 pounds

I took 20 rds 470NE, fired 8, left the rest with my PH. Always best to have too much ammo rather than not enough.

I have an opportunity on a Zim safari for a non-trophy elephant add on to a leopard hunt. Elephant may be a tuskless, a cow, or a PAC. I have a 375 ruger and will be shooting CEB 300 gr safari solids, with either a brain shot if presented or a body shot.
No I will not be taking a bigger rife, and will have a PH with a .416 present.
How many loaded rounds would you bring? I ask since I will be bringing lots of other ammo for a bro in law and cousin who do not reload for this trip and space is limited!
10 solids for the elephant will be plenty if your scope tends to hold zero with travel, mine does, you only need to shoot a couple of rounds to prove you on target.
As mentioned take ammo for which you have a rifle in your possession. In Zim last year they checked my ammo to see that it matched the rifles And they looked at every round.

You don’t need extra ammo… until a jackal steps into the open and takes too long of a look around. Or maybe you tag out early and focus on PG. Or maybe you add a couple meat animals to the list.
+1 Definitely bring the max amount and have fun hunting other stuff too. (Looks like you know that)
I have not bought ammo in Africa, but I understand it is more than double what we pay in the USA, so leaving spare rounds is a nice thank you gesture.

You don’t need extra ammo… until a jackal steps into the open and takes too long of a look around. Or maybe you tag out early and focus on PG. Or maybe you add a couple meat animals to the list.
+1 Definitely bring the max amount and have fun hunting other stuff too. (Looks like you know that)
I have not bought ammo in Africa, but I understand it is more than double what we pay in the USA, so leaving spare rounds is a nice thank you gesture.

A few trips ago in Zimbabwe they had 416 Rigby ammo for $1200 a box,or $60 a round.

20 solids and the rest soft points. And one more thing. When going after elephant, you can never bank on the fact that your preferred shot will always present itself. Sometimes you must take the brain shot. Sometimes, the body shot.

I have an opportunity on a Zim safari for a non-trophy elephant add on to a leopard hunt. Elephant may be a tuskless, a cow, or a PAC. I have a 375 ruger and will be shooting CEB 300 gr safari solids, with either a brain shot if presented or a body shot.
How many loaded rounds would you bring? I ask since I will be bringing lots of other ammo for a bro in law and cousin who do not reload for this trip and space is limited!
I would not take less that a box. You never know what can happen in Africa. Why are you taking ammo for others? You can't bring ammo that is not for your own calibers.

I try not to tempt fate, so I don’t know the luggage rule-breaking abilities very well. What I seem to remember is this:

For a coach ticket, you’re allowed ONE sporting good case. That case must weigh 50lbs or less.

For a business or first class ticket, you’re allowed ONE sporting good case. That case must weigh 70lbs or less.

All these complexities in the OP of bringing various ammo, then carrying other guns to shoot the other ammo, plus trying to avoid the excess of 11lbs ammo rule, plus trying to not get pinched (you will) for having ammo for guns you may not own. It all seems so tiresome and needlessly complicated.

Then of course, he’s adding lots of bows to the mix as well, so those are other sporting good cases which may or may not fly.

Flawed assumptions all over this plan, the biggest bad assumptions I see are 1.) for all the money in the world and a $20,000 first class ticket, the OP assumes infinite quantities of sporting goods in infinite amounts of bags can be placed aboard if you just pay enough money. 2.) what works for one leg or one carrier in this Zimbabwean mess will continue to “check through” to the next part of the plot, whereas that usually doesn’t happen at all, especially if you’re flying through Jo’Burg and catching an SAA Airlink or charter flight where they may not have capacity on the plane that day for any sporting goods.

If it were me and I was trying to pull off such a complicated plan, I’d be flying Emirates from the US to Dubai to Lusaka to Harare to maintain same-carrier the whole route to Zim. I’d pay $6000 for a biz class ticket to get to the 70lb gun limit rather than the 50lb. I’d bring three rifles, all in the same caliber, and a pool of 11lbs of ammo in the hopes upon hopes that by doing so that everyone has enough ammo. I’d also pick only 375HH, 458WM, or 470NE because those are the three calibers that have a TINY chance of getting some emergency ammo in Zim for any price, even though that price will be an astounding one of maybe 500% above retail. I would also avoid bringing all the bows into Zim so as to avoid a complete cluster at the airport and with Parks in the event he does not yet have the $500 per hunter bowhunting permit or the $3000 dangerous game bowhunting permit that they are not inclined to issue or authorize at present.

A plan for a lot less money and grief. Wire cash to your friends as a gift to have them get all their own crap. Have them buy their own guns and ammo. Have them book their own bowhunting safari since the complexities and permitting are high and you probably don’t want to ruin your hunt dealing with such nonsense running middle-man between other clients and PH/Operator/Parks.

Sorry if I make it sound bleak, it’s just a frustrating post wrought with peril. It reads like someone that thinks America’s rules and customs, plus our efficiency and general sentiment of “everything works out, usually without extra cost or burden”. This is Zimbabwe, not Colorado we are talking about. Nothing works as it should and everything about this post is a receipe for a miserable hunt. Just what I’ve learned in 14 visits to Zim. If a hunting buddy going to Zim with me tried any of this stuff I’d unsubscribe, change my name, and wear a disguise for a while In social settings.

Appreciate the thread. This will be the first time for me doing two safaris back to back. Two rifles and keeping total ammo at 11 pounds has not been as easy as I thought. This thread has made me comfortable with my final choices. Thanks

A few trips ago in Zimbabwe they had 416 Rigby ammo for $1200 a box,or $60 a round.
Wow! Much more than I thought. That really complicates the ability for a PH to practice.

You mentioned in a subsequent post about bringing 3 rifles in the same caliber. Is that possible? I had read they have to be different calibers?

I would take 10 solids with maybe 6 in reserve for sighting in. I probably know you can’t import ammo into most African countries unless you are also importing the same caliber rifle so be careful importing ammunition for someone else.
Please, explain for my feeble brain, the advantage of taking so few cartridges on such an important hunt. I’m curious to understand the benefits as opposed to my current practice of taking 5 kgs when hauling 2 rifles on safari. Even when I only take 1 rifle, I’m taking lots of ammo.

I’d love to hear some comments from actual PH’s about having clients show up with less than a box of shells for a dangerous game hunt. I remember how I felt when my PH had to ask another PH if we could get some 416 rounds of his when I got close to running out.

I also remember shooting more than 10 rounds of 470 NE in about 30 minutes while we were chasing a wounded buffalo around in very thick bush. I think my PH shot about as many from his 460 Weatherby.

Last edited:
O
Please, explain for my feeble brain, the advantage of taking so few cartridges on such an important hunt. I’m curious to understand the benefits as opposed to my current practice of taking 5 kgs when hauling 2 rifles on safari. Even when I only take 1 rifle, I’m taking lots of ammo.

I’d love to hear some comments from actual PH’s about having clients show up with less than a box of shells for a dangerous game hunt. I remember how I felt when my PH had to ask another PH if we could get some 416 rounds of his when I got close to running out.

I also remember shooting more than 10 rounds of 470 NE in about 30 minutes while we were chasing a wounded buffalo around in very thick bush. I think my PH shot about as many from his 460 Weatherby.
I was just referring to solids, he was just asking about an add on elephant. I personally take all the ammo l can take,

Unfortunately, that’s illegal in Zim. You can only bring ammunition for the rifles you’re bringing in with you.
I realize that. It is indeed unfortunate. In my post I was pointing out the fact that the PH doesn’t carry a stopping rifle

Wow! Much more than I thought. That really complicates the ability for a PH to practice.

You mentioned in a subsequent post about bringing 3 rifles in the same caliber. Is that possible? I had read they have to be different calibers?

I’ve definitely brought duplicates of same caliber before, although you bring up a good point that this may not have been allowed in hindsight. I’m not sure. My son is a minor so he gets to bring zero guns, leaving me to bring the whole kit and kaboodle. I think we had two 375HHs and a 7x64 or 470NE as the third gun.

Legally, a PH cannot accept your ammo. Legally, you cannot leave ammo behind. Legally, you can’t give away your ammo.

By sheer coincidence, it appears most hunters leave Zim with literally no ammo left, only a hodge-lodge of spent brass.

Guys, especially the OP, I need to apologize if my earlier post was gruff and sarcastic. I clearly had vinegar in my breakfast cereal this morning. I wasn’t trying to be a jerk, I was trying to scare the piss out of the OP and other readers with scenarios and facts. I don’t want you to have a bad safari, and the current plot is pointing towards a ruined safari for a variety of “Murphy’s Law” reasons.

Pretty sure I’ve seen it quoted somewhere that only 1 rifle per caliber, not sure where I saw it. Not even sure if it was official or just hearsay. As far as leaving ammo for your PH, on my first safari he told me they normally offer to buy any extra ammo the client is willing to sell but they had never seen a .375 Ruger so they didn’t ask me even though they were impressed with its performance. Later that year my PH emailed me and he had 3 or 4 more clients that year with the .375 Ruger, this was in 2014 so it may be more available nowadays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drieslg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross