How do you do it?!? Deciding your Target list

Josh Neal

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Guys, 1st off I want to thank everyone from this site for the invaluable feed back and advice as I make my journey towards our first (and likely our only) African adventure. We have booked with Limcroma which seems to be the best possible fit for our needs. Just like most others who make their journeys, we have a budget for the trip. Our stay an accommodations were booked at a great rate, there for we have a nice bit of $$$ set aside for trophy fees. My struggle is narrowing down my list. Most people go into the trip with that one Target animal at the top of their list...im no different, but my top 2 animals are simple, a large baboon and warthog. Within our 11 day hunt im confident that ill have the opportunity to harvest those 2 animals.
My struggle is the rest of my list, If I had to choose 1 animal to have it would defiantly be a Sable... but that would exhaust a huge portion of our $$$, and ideally id like to harvest 7-9 animals between my wife and I. Everyone tells me to wait until we arrive and see the animals in person, as one might catch my eye, and I'm fully expecting that. But like anyone else id like to have a game plan and budget to stick close to.

My wife is dead set on a Zebra and Blesbuck, and I literally want one of everything!!! Maybe I should ask about cull/management animals as well as a few trophies?

anyone else struggle with this? Please give me your wise advice!

Everyone tells me to wait until we arrive and see the animals in person, as one might catch my eye, and I'm fully expecting that. But like anyone else id like to have a game plan and budget to stick close to.

Yes and yes

Also have a few other "primary" species on your wish list that way after baboon and warthog, or during the pursuit of those 2, you come across 1 or a few different primary animals, there you go! Then you can see the other animals you might not have wanted "secondary species" along the way also and make decisions based on that as well

Memorize the trophy fees and take it as it comes. Ask about cull/non-trophy availability and prices. Be as flexible as you can. Sable are awesome and on my short list next time.

Good question, I normally pick two or three must haves, then two or three back up animals, add up the cost of all of them, add 22.5% to the total for things I shoot that I didn't plan on shooting. Into this figure always add a new rifle and scope! Even if you plan on taking your trusty ole rifle, it at least puts another rifle in the safe. At this point you have enough reserve budget for that "I can make you a hell of a deal on that one" animal. Then keep a credit card handy just in case it gets western! Haha
Have fun and take what she gives you,
Cody

Josh if this is a first trip think about two big trophies and two small that you really like. You have mentioned two small Blesbock and wart hog.....then larger animal in zebra. You might want to consider a red hartebeest and a black wildebeest for larger trophies. Then as mentioned by another member take what the bush offers you that is within your budget. You will see plenty if game as you ride around looking for the primary targets so you can decide on others as you fill the list.

Memorize the trophy fees and take it as it comes. Ask about cull/non-trophy availability and prices. Be as flexible as you can. Sable are awesome and on my short list next time.

I've had the price list memorized for over a year. I cant begin to tell you how many combinations I've wrote down. I'm sacred the 1st animal I see will be a sable, that could be dangerous.:D And it would really test my ability to hold to my budget... but if I shot one im pretty sure id be scrubbing dishes all season long!

Good question, I normally pick two or three must haves, then two or three back up animals, add up the cost of all of them, add 22.5% to the total for things I shoot that I didn't plan on shooting. Into this figure always add a new rifle and scope! Even if you plan on taking your trusty ole rifle, it at least puts another rifle in the safe. At this point you have enough reserve budget for that "I can make you a hell of a deal on that one" animal. Then keep a credit card handy just in case it gets western! Haha
Have fun and take what she gives you,
Cody

hahah great advice. This will be a archery hunt, but I'm not opposed to borrowing a rifle from the outfit if need be. My dream would be a random management sable at a really good price...LOL but I don't think they exist

Josh if this is a first trip think about two big trophies and two small that you really like. You have mentioned two small Blesbock and wart hog.....then larger animal in zebra. You might want to consider a red hartebeest and a black wildebeest for larger trophies. Then as mentioned by another member take what the bush offers you that is within your budget. You will see plenty if game as you ride around looking for the primary targets so you can decide on others as you fill the list.

Thanks, ill give you a better idea of my current situation...
Here is my most up to date list...

Wife: Zebra, Blesbuck, Impala.

Myself: Baboon, Warthog, Kudu, Gemsbuck, Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Porcupine

These animals fit my budget perfectly, but I've talked my parents into booking with us also, so my father will be targeting some of the same species. (plus Giraffe & Eland)
Do I drop the Kudu for a beautiful Nyala since my dad is also targeting Kudu, or drop the Gemsbuck and Blue for a Waterbuck?

Or drop them all and target a Sable? (please don't encourage this)

On my last trip the outfitter asked if I want to shoot baboon they were on the price list, dirt cheap. I told him no, he said I could shoot all the baboon and jackal that I saw for free. I still did not shoot any, but my PH, Tracker & Driver anytime they saw either took off thru the bush after them, then it was back to hunting. Interesting.

That said, a sable is a beautiful animal but very expensive plains game and make a great mount, so does a zebra . You can buy Zebra skins cheaper then you can shoot them and have them tanned.

Everyone has there list, mine was Kudu, Springbok, Impala, Oryx. After that I end up with Red Hartebeest, Blesbok, Waterbuck. I would have shot a Sable too, but I though it was too pricy. Thats next trip with Buffalo and maybe a Nyala too.

Everyone has their preference: Me I would drop the baboon, warthog, blue Wildebeest, and porcupine and add the Nyala. Also Springbok is the national animal of RSA, might want to considered that too. Good luck and be prepared to go over budget.

Last edited:
Waterbuck over a blue would be my choice. Nyala are incredible looking animals.

I have a great Nyala that should be back in the sates soon. You can't go wrong there.

You have a very good list already in my opinion. Kudu and Gemsbok I would not pass up. But... if it gets late in the trip and you haven't taken some animals and a pricey one like waterbuck walks out. Whack it and don't look back.

Whatever combination you choose....make sure a Kudu is part of that. As TMS said : "It shouts Africa"! There are so many local South African hunters that have never had the opportunity to bag a great Kudu bull. So if the opportunity is there, take it.....you might never see one again!

Waterbuck over a blue would be my choice. Nyala are incredible looking animals.
waterbuck price is more then double of a wildebeest, but they are beautiful animals... and honestly I would absolutely love to have a beautiful full body Nyala, but I would have to substitute the Kudu for it. I think I would end up kicking my self if I only had once chance at Africa and didn't take the kudu.

Everyone has their preference: Me I would drop the baboon, warthog, blue Wildebeest, and porcupine and add the Nyala. Also Springbok is the national animal of RSA, might want to considered that too. Good luck and be prepared to go over budget.

I'm a little odd because my top 2 animals are Baboon and Warthog... so I cant give those up, especially for the prices offered! and the porcupine will be a fully mount coffee table, so I really hope for the opportunity at one.

I'm a little odd because my top 2 animals are Baboon and Warthog... so I cant give those up, especially for the prices offered! and the porcupine will be a fully mount coffee table, so I really hope for the opportunity at one.
See if they will give you the baboon for free. Trust me they want them off property.

The African bush has a funny way of deciding what she offers you....never pass any opportunity...she is not always that kind!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg