How did you select your first safari?

Ravensview

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
SCI,DSC, DU
Am just wondering how everyone selected their first safari, did you pick the animals that you wanted to hunt and then look in those areas where they are available, did you pick the outfitter or PH that you wanted to hunt with and select from that, did you pick the country that you wanted to hunt first then determine from that what was available, or did you start with the type of hunt or how they hunted, I guess that I am just looking at how everybody selected their first hunt and why, trying to figure out sometype of matrix or selection priority, heck of a lot more thought process and decisions than just walking out the back door to hunt white tails or black bear. Hopefully I worded my question right and it makes some type of sense. I guess I’m looking at the after you decidid that you were going to hunt Africa what pulled you in the direction that you went?

Ravensview that is an interesting question. I discovered that an African Plains Game hunt was about the same price of a guided Elk hunt. The difference being that on an African PG hunt you were likely to get all of the animals in your "package." I then started comparing the "packages" offered by the various outfitters using a spreadsheet. I spoke with references to see what they didn't like about their hunt. Eventually I narrowed the list of potential outfitters, and finally chose one. It helps that I was going to be hunting with both of my sons, so the three of us came to a common decision.

First looked for some plainsgame, would have gone this year but COVID screwed things up. It would have been my practice round in Africa. Considered Namibia and settled on SA.

My dream is hunting the big five..

Then I heard they were considering banning the ranch lion hunts in SA. Maybe it is financially the only way I can Hunt one. So Is decided to Hunt one next year, if it is still allowed. Pulled the trigger booking with one of the AH sponsors.

Am just wondering how everyone selected their first safari, did you pick the animals that you wanted to hunt and then look in those areas where they are available, did you pick the outfitter or PH that you wanted to hunt with and select from that, did you pick the country that you wanted to hunt first then determine from that what was available,

I dont expect theat many will go my route. But, I always wanted to hunt africa, since my kindergarten age. My grandfather was hunter, and african exotic animals boosted my dreams and imagination,
Then, I did not know how, or even if this was possible at all!. As a kid I thought that african safari was a thing of the past, gone with the winds of history, or even if this was possible, then it would be too expensive for me.

My first step in the direction was maybe 5 years before my first safary, when on internet I found out that some people from my country are actually hunting Africa, and bring home the trophies.
I came to conclusion safari is possible, practically and ecconomically. That was my true reveliation!

My next step was, again by accident, finding this forum on internet. and that was maybe 3 years before my first safary. First I was just lurking here, then I decided to join this forum, and started with stupid newbie questions.

Then I started the reasearch, a bit deeper.
My reasearch was online plus books. In three years, before my first safari I have collected and read dozens of books: African safari history, african animals, hunting rifles for africa, and modern safari authors.
Online search was reading this forum,random google search, and contacting outfitters for options.

After three years, I got my sights aimed to South Africa and Namibia. In those three years I got the rough picture of African continent from hunters perspective. Where is economic to hunt, and where is expensive. What questions to ask?
In which countries hunting is allowed and where it is banned.
Where are the wilderness and where are the farms lands. Where are security risks, and political instability, and where is safe for tourists.

A window of opporunity for my first safari was when a friend of mine, reccomended an outfitter based on his experience.
Before contacting this outfitter I knew what I wanted, I already knew what animals I wanted to hunt. I made a list of most iconic plains game species and when signing the contract, I had a price list of each animal, and made my own package.

Then I went for safari.

I found my outfitter first. Then the package I wanted along with the animals. PG with my son. The PH was included from the outfitter. I then did research on everything Africa. This was in January 2020. I just got back last month from a ten day ten animal hunt. it was awesome. Lodging, food, traveling around while there and the service. My first time dealing with a PH. Which turned out to be incredible experience. I knew this because of all the reports from this website. I can’t wait to go back for Cape buffalo and hippos

My first was happenstance. Went with a friend. He had been recommended by a friend to a place in Namibia. After that I found this forum. Now it’s often about the animals that I want.
I’ll try to find a decent price where those animals are available. I’ve also done cancellation hunts and auction hunts to help keep costs down. Doesn’t have to be the cheapest hunt, just a good value for what I’m getting. I also tend to go hunt different places for different experiences and animals.
Lots of great outfitters talked about on this forum. If you pick one of them you’ll have a great hunt

My first safari was decided for me, north central Namibia when I was 13 with my Dad. I can tell you how I pick my hunts now though, first I choose an area to try, then I pick some primary species in that area, then I try to find an outfitter/PH I think I’d enjoy hunting with. Price is a factor, but not the deciding factor, I just want to to be +/- market rates. Finding a PH/outfitter that shares my goals is probably the most important factor to me.

Unless you are impulsive, I think there are a lot of different rabbit holes to go down at the same time educating yourself on how this all works and the many options / priorities. You will probably change your mind multiple times.

I think the amount of total days you can be gone is a good first consideration; that is likely going to really narrow down your choices right then and there (to a still overwhelming series of choices to follow). Most working folks in the US are going to choose to fly direct into Johannesburg (though United flies direct into Capetown if I'm not mistaken). If you can be gone longer than 10 days, then I think it makes sense to at least consider Namibia. HOW DO YOU ENVISION AFRICA? It can be mountains, thick woody brush, grasslands, desert...everything in-between. You will probanly be disappointed if you choose wrong and it doesn't look like you thought it was going to.

Animal choices are important but I'm guessing the same 7 or 8 animals end up on 95% of first timers list. Many overlap areas, but many don't; so choices will have to be made.

Right off the bat, you should consider how important smaller fenced, large fenced, and no/low fence areas is to you. This will also dictate what animals are available. If a Gemsbok is a must and you will not hunt inside a fence of any size, then you probably aren't going to Limpopo. If a giant kudu is what you want, then you probably are going to Limpopo. If you want both, then you are going to have to find another spot who offers both or compromise on the fence situation.

Imo, there are excellent outfitters everywhere and that should be the last thing to find after picking your brain about other items first.

Seams there are lots of young fellows on here. My first safari: There was NO internet in Africa, very little phone coverage and communication was almost nil.

Started with animals that intrigued me, then price, then who could provide desired hunt from all the US booking agents. Narrowed down responses on a written spreadsheet and picked. Sorry but I would NOT recommend this today. The Booking agents told you what you wanted to hear, promised the world, took your deposits and never really provided what was stated. Sitting in Vic Falls without a pickup first time was bad, second time I understood what to do.

Today I would start with your desires, must haves, time, needs, wants, budget and type of hunt. These can be broken down into small specifics, best to know what you want before starting the search, then look on this site to see what is available within your list above. Search the internet for all possibilities, educate yourself as much as possible, immerse in the planning of a safari, its a whole lot of fun but time consuming fun and write it all down for reference. I would only speak to the outfitter who is providing the hunt, even more important the PH who is the outfitter. Ask every, any and all questions and narrow down the outfits. In my case one has always taken front stage. (For better or worse) Check references, pay deposit, get all stuff ready and go have the best most fabulous time of your life=Safari.

Get home and start the whole process over again, even if only in your head until finances allow, your desire to return will be like no other.

MB

Hunting in Africa was something I had wanted to do beginning when I was a teenager and read Hemingway. When I moved to Dallas I started attending the Dallas Safari Club Convention. I talked to a lot of outfitters and selected one from the people I met. That was in 1987 and the outfitter arranged everything, flights, overnight hotels in Jo'burg, connecting flights to and from Windhoek, the hunting with two different PH's on private ranch land, taxidermy, etc. He also helped me put together a plains game package that fit my budget. I took a kudu, gemsbok, zebra, western red hartebeest, dik dik, warthog and jackal on that trip.
I thought that hunt would "get it out of my system" but 30 years later when I retired I got the bug again and have been back three times. Again, I interviewed a dozen or more outfitters in person during the DSC Convention and selected the one I was most comfortable with.

As others have stated, i decided how and where I wanted to hunt before selecting my package. I guess you could say it was more important how and where I hunted than to have one species on my list. I wanted free range and without high fences… Secondly, I considered budget. I had some solid offers from several sponsors and I ended up selecting a sponsor who wasn’t the cheapest but close.
At the end of the day you have to decide what’s most important to you. Make a list of animals and must haves and have fun planning and researching.

I had spent a lifetime wanting to go, but never really acted on it. At times, there would have been no way to act on it anyway. A Bowhunter article about Melorani Safaris (?) by the late Dwight Schuh really fueled my dreams for the longest time (I also bowhunt). But I don't think any of that answers your question.

How I decided on my first hunt was the conscious decision to set in motion a hunt for my daughter and me. I had lurked on this site for a while before joining, which happened when I got serious about planning. After my "Hi! My name is..." post, folks came out of the woodwork to pitch their businesses and how they were right for my daughter and me. I then did a lot of research - on here, other places online - about specific destinations as well as learning more about what to expect, such as learning that a whole lot of RSA is pretty much high-fenced affairs, and what that meant. In the process of doing this, I started to narrow my focus about what would likely satisfy me but also give my daughter and I the best chance for success on a first trip.

Once I had my short list, I then began the process of talking to hunters who had visited with places on my list. In the end, I went with Game 4 Africa. They gave me the best feeling about meeting with my daughter's needs - first time, coming off major foot/ankle surgery (shot distances, walking). And then, because of covid and kicking it down the road a year, she wasn't able to go anyway. I decided to stick with my original plan in going with them and I am mighty glad I did. It could not have went better.

One other part of your question: species. We originally had a package deal, proposed by Wik. It had several species I'd always wanted to hunt, so I was OK with the package. Initially I wasn't excited about zebra but my daughter was. Turns out I was pretty excited about zebra by the time I got over there, and I'm very happy with the one I shot. Buffalo got added in the months before I left.

I'm kind of a research nut. Living where I do in Alaska, almost anything I buy at all has to get shipped in; I don't get to see it before I buy it. So I research the crap out of stuff to minimize the chance of buying a lemon. I used the same approach in planning for Africa. Maybe I just got lucky, but every single piece of the puzzle fell in place perfectly. This site was INCREDIBLY instrumental in helping that happen.

Great question! I wanted an affordable free range plains game hunt and that led me to Namibia. I know there are a few free range options in SA, but more in Namibia. Then I looked at the animals typically offered in Namibia. I found that most operations there offer the same basic menu....Kudu, Gemsbok, Springbuck, Red Hartebeest, Warthog, Hartman's Zebra and a few others. Since it was my first safari, and every one of those species was alluring, especially the Kudu and Gemsbok, I decided that Namibia was the place. Then we learned that some friends of my hunting buddy had hunted Namibia the previous year and highly recommended Immenhof Safaris in Omaruru. We went there and had the time of our lives. .

For me the first and absolute consideration is the quarry. Get to know everything you can about it, habits, dangers if any, anatomy, habitat, etc. Then read about specific hunts for this animal, absorb other's experience to the full. I don't like a mixed bag although I might take a second minor animal for the pot. That way you get to savour the whole experience in a more concentrated way, like caviar rather than a multi course meal.
So my first recent and proper safari was for my first a zebra. I read books about them and the recommended shot placement. I bought the rifle especially, and I wrote a mini book documenting this whole journey. It ended with the zebra ottoman that a friend made for me out of teak. As to where and with which outfitter, of course that was important, but I have come to believe that one makes one's own experience from what is dished up. If you are a whiner looking for something to grumble about then the best won't satisfy you. If you can go with the flow and accept a few knocks, your reward is happiness.
Next came the buffalo, dedicated hunt too, and more chapters for the book. Latest was the sable, magnificent creatures that you need to do justice too. That was a whole special safari on it's own, I posted the report here - the specially made embroidered chairs, the silver cast sable desk ornament, etc.
Kudu next.....

I wanted a Cape buffalo ever since I was 15. It was more or less a dream as I never thought it would ever come to fruition. In ‘93, after a divorce where I basically started with nothing, I set two goals: go on safari by 55 and retire before 60. Both came to fruition.
In late 2011, I contacted Jack Atcheson and Sons. They gave me outfitters in Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Namibia. I contacted references for each outfitter, One of the references for the Mozambique outfitter said he had a good hunt except that he and his son spent three days in a Moz jail as their outfitter took them into an area where they weren’t permitted. Obviously I nixed him.
Both the Zim and Namibian outfitters had all glowing references, however the Zimbabwe outfitter in the BVC seemed to give be better prospects of a buff. I went to SCI in 2012 and talked to both outfitters and Keith from Jack Atcheson. It comfirmed my decision and I booked the hunt then for September 2013.
Several months later I received an email from Keith, the outfitter was no longer hunting the BVC but they did have another PH (outfitter):theatres would take his place: Ade Langley, but had the option of canceling.
I couldn’t find much info on Ade in the internet but after talking with Keith decided to go ahead.
As it turned out, that was a great decision. Ade ran a great camp, was a really nice guy and put me on some nice trophies. The buff in my avatar is from that hunt.

We knew we wanted a plains game hunt but were pretty neutral as to the location. We talked to quite a few potential guides and the trips seemed like variations on a similar theme. Level of accommodations varied of course. But it was without a doubt that we picked the guide we wanted to hunt with. Our hosts made it a fantastic experience.

I’ve read about and studied safari in east Africa so long, specifically Kenya, that I wanted to see some of those places more than I wanted to hunt any animal. So..I went to Kenya and made an 11-day trip around Mt. Kenya - seeing some places that most folks just don’t care to see or have any context of where it fits in the story of safari. Very satisfying and I can’t wait to go back and see more of it.

I had never really considered hunting Africa at all. I've never even hunted in America, where I live, so my first big game animal of any kind was a Zebra. My dad decided that when he retired he wanted to hunt a Cape Buffalo in Africa, and selected an outfitter based on a recommendation from his friend. He also added a plains game package to his hunt. He invited me to ride along as an observer. I couldn't see myself traveling all the way to Africa just to sit by and watch, so I looked at the outfitter's packages and chose one that offered animals that interested me. For me most of the choices (location, outfitter) were easy because they were made before I was even invited on the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbiGob

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double