How dangerous are the ‘Big Five’?

@Rubi_300
Given you seem a bit nervous and unsure, I'd offer a suggestion that I normally might not. Do your first hunt in South Africa. Discuss in detail your desires and apprehension with a few Outfitters on here which there are several from RSA. Inquire about their ability and willingness to be flexible. Book enough days. At least 10, more is better. Ask about hunting the common PG and having the ability to add a buffalo. Not all have buffalo available nor are even licensed to hunt DG. Two I'd suggest starting with are Bossie @LIMPOPO BIG GAME SAFARIS and Marius @KMG Hunting Safaris they are friends and work together so may be hesitant to compete against one another so you will need to research both and decide who to contact. They are based in completely different areas. I suspect both have access to places that have buffalo available. Likely high fenced but I am unsure of you are ready for a true wild adventure in a remote location. In RSA your PH can stop at a gas station for fuel and snacks. Probably no real need for a Global Rescue plan. Your cell phone can work in most places.

So go on your PG hunt. Shoot a wildebeest, black in the East Cape or blue in Limpopo, zebra, kudu maybe, hartebeest, etc. Then if you feel good about it and want a buffalo, have that as a pre arranged optional add on. Discuss it with your PH openly and get his honest assessment. (He will likely want to help you get it). If you decide against it, again have the ore arranged option of doing something else. Night hunting for little critters is a blast. You might take a shotgun with and do some bird hunting. Add more PG. I think Marius can arrange a caracal with dogs. Bush pig!

Or go fishing, tour a park, other tourist things, especially if you have family or a significant other with you they might enjoy that. Just be sure to options available and tip well;)

Take a Cape buffalo on your first trip if that’s what you want. I just took my 3rd buffalo last month. I’ve also taken 2 hippo and a croc. Just because they are called dangerous game doesn’t necessarily mean the hunt should be dangerous. Typically all unwounded buffalo are going to run away from you like any other animal and most wounded buffalo too. A well placed shot with a premium bonded bullet will put a buffalo down quickly. All three of my buffalo have played out the same, a good first shot, a second shot if still standing, then an insurance shot on ground. I don’t understand the hunters who want their hunt to be dangerous. A buffalo hunt can turn dangerous if you wound your buffalo. My recommendation is choose a PH who actually has real dangerous game experience (South Africa is primarily plainsgame hunting), choose a premium bonded bullet swift a frame or trophy bonded bear claw, and learn to shoot off sticks. If it doesn’t bother you can also ask your PH to immediately back you on your shot.
If you get the chance go to FTW Ranch in Texas and take the Safari Prep Course. You get to shoot movers of various types, charging buf and ele, there is a safari walk with moving targets, timed range course, shooting off sticks and offhand. About 100 rounds in 2 days with your pg and dg rifles.

If I read the OP correctly, you have decided it is a matter of when, not if you endeavor to get your Big 5. I've had my Big 5 since my leopard hunt in 2016. And have taken 3 buffalo and a second lion so far. I have also been in close to many buffalo which never gave me any anxiety.

Elephant;
Elephant had me concerned a couple times. We stalked in close several times on elephant before finding the right bull to take. I know there are some real adrenaline junkies who specifically hunt tuskless cows for the danger level. And the elephants that raised the hair on the back of my neck were cows and young bulls. During the hunt I can say I was at a higher state of awareness several times. But never afraid. After getting home from my elephant hunt, at first I just wanted to get back and do it again! Then after a year or two, and a PH friend getting killed as well as some others who people i know, knew first hand. I was contemplating elephant hunting and came to the conclusion they were indeed very scary and right up at the top for me. I realized I had been in a couple tight spots that we came out of just fine because everyone (well except one tracker) remained calm and followed the PH'S instructions to remain still at times and move quickly at others. They really do know what they are doing;) In 2021 while tracking buffalo through some really thick bush along elephant trails high up in Tanzania, we heard elephant breaking branches and i was ready to go after them and have a look! It would have been Legal to take one but unlikely to find a good one. And we were hot on the Buffalo. In any case, I was ready to go after elephant again:)

I don't know what level you are at financially, but right now is a great time to hunt elephant! My opinion is that the safest elephant hunt is going after lone or small groups of old bulls. And if you do a little homework, you should be able to get your trophies into the US. However you can have the same experience hunting non trophy, non exportable (different than non importable) for about half the money. And of course hunting a tuskless cow is also low cost but likely the most dangerous. I would put hunting bulls in a herd, especially a mixed herd as second most dangerous.

Leopard;
I always joked I was going to wait until I was in my 70's to hunt leopard. 1. Because sitting in a blind is easy. 2. Because if I get scratched I won't have as long to live with the scars;) Well I've been in on two leopard hunts and neither was boring. Both required physical exertion, although the dog hunt much more. And neither seemed all that scary. Both were very exciting and I can't wait to repeat!

Hippo;
Lion is probably second on my list of scary dangerous game. Well, third behind hippo on land;) I only hunted Hippo briefly when we found good sign in Tanzania. It was in tangled brush with hippo tunnels through it. You would pear around each corner not sure what might be there... That was intense as the spor was very fresh and wet yet.

Lion;
A lion will kill you. But the situations I was in hunting them didn't seem all that dangerous at the time. When you see one peering out of the bush at you, it will make your hair stand up! My first was baited and although the old Africaaner PH was trying to get me nervous and excited, it was from a safe distance and the lion seemed unaware or didn't care we were there. It was a whole big piece of South Africa BS supposed to be "wild lion hunt". After it was over it became abundantly clear I'd been had by professionals.

If you do a lion in South Africa, do it with someone who tells it like it is and enjoy it for what it is. If it sounds to good to be true. It's not true. I learned the hard way. However I had the good fortune of hunting a real wild lion in Tanzania. We actually called it in, roaring like a competitor make. He came in like he owned the place, well because he did i suppose! I will never forget the sight of him stepping out ofvthecbush in all his glory looking as big as one of my Holstein cows, but with teeth and claws. I'll relive that forever in my mind. And I'll do it again if I get the opportunity. Or better still, be there with my wife as she does it!

Croc;
I've seen Crocodile in the wild and spent a few hours hunting one in Mozambique but just as he was swimming around thinking about coming onto the beach, it started raining hard. The PH called it off because of where we were we had crossed a large dry creek and if it filled with water, we would not get the truck back to camp! I really don't think a croc hunt is dangerous for the hunter. Just requires very accurate shooting.

Rhino;
Considering what the situation is, I had a really fantastic white rhino hunt. I had to crawl a good ways through short grass and hiding behind small termite mounds to get close to shoot. Then shot it from a sitting position with my Ruger RSM in 505 Gibbs. The most dangerous part was walking to find him, day 3 or 4, a buffalo bull ran out of the brush up ahead and headed down the trail towards us but veered off before getting dangerously close. Unless you hunt a black rhino, and I believe you can now dart one in SA, I don't think this is a real dangerous hunt. But done right it can be a great experience.

Buffalo!
I think most agree this should be your first DG animal to hunt. You may enjoy it so much you never want to hunt anything else! I could make a case for Leopard being first if you want to also shoot a lot of PG simply because you need bait! The danger level with buffalo has been discussed at length. To me they are the Devil's Red Eyed Cattle. But they are cattle and in general behavior is similar to the cattle I've been around my whole life. I can't even smell them until right on a heavy amount of fresh manure because I'm so adjusted to that odor. However buffalo, cape buffalo, have an attitude like no other cattle. And a tenacity to keep living. And they can be vengeful. But shoot them properly and keep shooting them until you are positive they are dead! No stopping for high fives until the tracker or PH has touched the eye with the sticks;)
Ah yes the old elephant you didn't know that was there. I've heard of that before and that can make things pretty dangerous.

Most African hunters agree to expanding the "Big Five" (elephant, rhino, leopard, lion and cape buffalo) to now be included in the "Dangerous Seven" by adding hippo and crocodile.

That said, for a first time hunter who (by your own admission) is not a NA big game hunter...see how it goes. Take it slow and get comfortable with the fact that you will be harvesting the largest game of your life. Let it sink in and evaluate yourself and how you would feel about taking on an animal such as this. Be honest with yourself and talk with your PH. He will appreciate being asked this and deserves to know your level of comfort in taking on such a task. Remember, you are on vacation and this is supposed to be fun. If it isn't...then you already have your answer.

Of course research is paramount and a good place to start is The Perfect Shot II by Kevin Robertson or at a minimum the Mini Edition for Africa. You said it yourself, shot placement trumps everything else. Do not go unprepared when a single drop of blood equals trophy fee paid, do your homework. There are about 100 other books to read on DG hunting, but this one is a really good start.

Now for the gear. Take an appropriate caliber of 375 and up (9.3 where legal) and be absolutely proficient in using it. I don't care if it's CRF or PF but it needs to feed, fire and extract EVERY SINGLE TIME. I'd recommend a low power scope (low range down to true 1x) in a QD mount as well. Top quality expanding bullets like the Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frame, Norma Oryx and Federal TBBC. A handful of solids would also be a good idea in case your PH asks you to load them. Nosler Solids and the Woodleigh Hydro are top notch.

For the rifle, you can probably get by with using a camp rifle but there is no way for you to feel comfortable using it. You need to be experienced with at least the 375 caliber and what it feels like to shoot it. Doing dry fire practice daily and hit the range at least once a week for 5-10 shots is a good plan to get in shooting shape.

Is it foolish for a first timer to want to hunt DG, no. It's foolish to walk into any possible life threatening experience unprepared and uneducated.
You have echoed a lot of my thoughts on the subject. I am taking my m70 300wm for the plains game and as a backup gun a m70 in 375 H&H if I feel comfortable enough for a buffalo. I am trying to go out west this fall for pronghorn to get something other than birds and small game under my belt. It defiantly weighs on my mind about taking these big tough animals as my first, especially in such a foreign land. I appreciate the book recommendation. I’ll get it on order. I love reading and it’s defiantly stuff I need to learn before my adventure!

Of all the big 5 and the dangerous 7, I have either been on or hunted all except for Rhino, and Croc. Have hunted Hippo in Tanzania and in spite of lots of fresh signs of Hippo, we were unable to find one. Rhino is in the planning phase as I type! In my opinion, I would tend to agree that they are on the upper level of danger, hence the name. Once upon a time, every hunter had their first “whatever” hunt, be it PG or DG. Good for you for asking questions and doing research! I think one of the most important parts of that is to really research which outfitter is going to be the best fit for you.
I will say this, if I were going on my first PG or DG hunt in SA, having never been on either, I would book with Marius @KMG Hunting Safaris
I know there are a lot of outfitters that are outstanding, I have personally experienced Marius adapt from guiding a novice hunter to an experienced one.
Good luck with your research and keep asking questions! You are definitely in the right place to get a lot of really great info! (y)
I have started talking to some PH’s and I’ll add them to my list of prospects. A rhino hunt sounds amazing! I wish you the best on that hunt!

I only have one buffalo to my credit and planning another this year but I have a discovery to relate. Everyone is a first timer the first time. There’s no helping that but there’s no excuse for anyone experienced or inexperienced taking a bad first shot or being incompetent and unfamiliar with their gun. I will echo what others have stated. Practice, practice, and dry fire drills are great. Dry fire tunes me into knowing where my crosshairs were when the sear broke which translates into knowing how effective the shot was. Also reloading drills are essential. I use the same rounds I would hunt with but loaded as dummies. Important info can be gained by this also such as your gun’s reliability cycling. For instance, my rifle cycled smoothly as silk in bench shooting and calm slow cycling while on the range but when I goosed up the speed of the bolt in reloading drills I discovered it would jam with the fat round nosed style bullets. When I changed bullets to A-Frames and their sharper shaped noses it became so smooth that it felt as though it hadn’t picked up the round at all and has never failed since through lord knows how many cycles of the bolt. I’ve often wondered how many people go out on dangerous game with a rifle that’s waiting to show them the same thing if they need to work that bolt fast…? Some may feel or think it’s silly doing those drills but if they haven’t, then they really don’t know if that gun is reliable or not and if it won’t reload that follow up shot then it’s just a club.
I wouldn’t have thought about using the same bullets I’ll be using but loaded as dummies for practice. I was thinking snap caps but you have a very good point. I am obsessive with planning, training and research, it’s scary to think of the people who set out on these potentially dangerous adventures with little to no practice and preparation.

I have started talking to some PH’s and I’ll add them to my list of prospects. A rhino hunt sounds amazing! I wish you the best on that hunt!
Thank you!! And we look forward to hearing and seeing pics of your adventures as well! :giggle: (y)

So lion and leopard pose very little threat unless you wound one. If you wound one there is a high likelihood that they will try to make your skin less than whole.

Buffalo can be more sporty, but still typically won’t charge unprovoked, but it’s possible. It’s also possible to stumble into one that’s been wounded by someone or something else which can lead to an otherwise unprovoked charge. They can be tough to kill. When wounded they can be extremely dangerous.

Elephants pose the greatest risks for an unprovoked charge. Cows are the worst. Also, elephant temperament can vary greatly from place to place. I’ve been places where the elephant were pretty chill, and I’ve been places where it seems like the elephant have a squish on sight policy for hairless apes. In my personal opinion wounded elephants tend to pose less of a risk than some of the others simply because there is a solid chance you won’t catch up to an elephant without a mortal wound.

White rhinos are dumb. Close quarters with an animal that size can always be dangerous, but I’d put white rhinos on the low end of the dangerous game scale.

Get some solid big game experience in before you hunt DG. Deer, hogs, plains game, whatever. You just want some experience with walk and stalk type of hunting before you take on dangerous critters.
I’m hoping to get a pronghorn and Oryx tag this year in New Mexico..slim chances being out of state but worth a shot nonetheless. Also I am trying to go south to Florida to get some hogs and do an alligator hunt. I am not big on whitetail hunting, sitting still in a blind I am either going nuts or falling asleep in 30 minutes. I might try to push though again on our cold and usually uneventful Ohio gun week this year just to try to get some bigger game under my belt before I depart for Africa.

If I read the OP correctly, you have decided it is a matter of when, not if you endeavor to get your Big 5. I've had my Big 5 since my leopard hunt in 2016. And have taken 3 buffalo and a second lion so far. I have also been in close to many buffalo which never gave me any anxiety.

Elephant;
Elephant had me concerned a couple times. We stalked in close several times on elephant before finding the right bull to take. I know there are some real adrenaline junkies who specifically hunt tuskless cows for the danger level. And the elephants that raised the hair on the back of my neck were cows and young bulls. During the hunt I can say I was at a higher state of awareness several times. But never afraid. After getting home from my elephant hunt, at first I just wanted to get back and do it again! Then after a year or two, and a PH friend getting killed as well as some others who people i know, knew first hand. I was contemplating elephant hunting and came to the conclusion they were indeed very scary and right up at the top for me. I realized I had been in a couple tight spots that we came out of just fine because everyone (well except one tracker) remained calm and followed the PH'S instructions to remain still at times and move quickly at others. They really do know what they are doing;) In 2021 while tracking buffalo through some really thick bush along elephant trails high up in Tanzania, we heard elephant breaking branches and i was ready to go after them and have a look! It would have been Legal to take one but unlikely to find a good one. And we were hot on the Buffalo. In any case, I was ready to go after elephant again:)

I don't know what level you are at financially, but right now is a great time to hunt elephant! My opinion is that the safest elephant hunt is going after lone or small groups of old bulls. And if you do a little homework, you should be able to get your trophies into the US. However you can have the same experience hunting non trophy, non exportable (different than non importable) for about half the money. And of course hunting a tuskless cow is also low cost but likely the most dangerous. I would put hunting bulls in a herd, especially a mixed herd as second most dangerous.

Leopard;
I always joked I was going to wait until I was in my 70's to hunt leopard. 1. Because sitting in a blind is easy. 2. Because if I get scratched I won't have as long to live with the scars;) Well I've been in on two leopard hunts and neither was boring. Both required physical exertion, although the dog hunt much more. And neither seemed all that scary. Both were very exciting and I can't wait to repeat!

Hippo;
Lion is probably second on my list of scary dangerous game. Well, third behind hippo on land;) I only hunted Hippo briefly when we found good sign in Tanzania. It was in tangled brush with hippo tunnels through it. You would pear around each corner not sure what might be there... That was intense as the spor was very fresh and wet yet.

Lion;
A lion will kill you. But the situations I was in hunting them didn't seem all that dangerous at the time. When you see one peering out of the bush at you, it will make your hair stand up! My first was baited and although the old Africaaner PH was trying to get me nervous and excited, it was from a safe distance and the lion seemed unaware or didn't care we were there. It was a whole big piece of South Africa BS supposed to be "wild lion hunt". After it was over it became abundantly clear I'd been had by professionals.

If you do a lion in South Africa, do it with someone who tells it like it is and enjoy it for what it is. If it sounds to good to be true. It's not true. I learned the hard way. However I had the good fortune of hunting a real wild lion in Tanzania. We actually called it in, roaring like a competitor make. He came in like he owned the place, well because he did i suppose! I will never forget the sight of him stepping out ofvthecbush in all his glory looking as big as one of my Holstein cows, but with teeth and claws. I'll relive that forever in my mind. And I'll do it again if I get the opportunity. Or better still, be there with my wife as she does it!

Croc;
I've seen Crocodile in the wild and spent a few hours hunting one in Mozambique but just as he was swimming around thinking about coming onto the beach, it started raining hard. The PH called it off because of where we were we had crossed a large dry creek and if it filled with water, we would not get the truck back to camp! I really don't think a croc hunt is dangerous for the hunter. Just requires very accurate shooting.

Rhino;
Considering what the situation is, I had a really fantastic white rhino hunt. I had to crawl a good ways through short grass and hiding behind small termite mounds to get close to shoot. Then shot it from a sitting position with my Ruger RSM in 505 Gibbs. The most dangerous part was walking to find him, day 3 or 4, a buffalo bull ran out of the brush up ahead and headed down the trail towards us but veered off before getting dangerously close. Unless you hunt a black rhino, and I believe you can now dart one in SA, I don't think this is a real dangerous hunt. But done right it can be a great experience.

Buffalo!
I think most agree this should be your first DG animal to hunt. You may enjoy it so much you never want to hunt anything else! I could make a case for Leopard being first if you want to also shoot a lot of PG simply because you need bait! The danger level with buffalo has been discussed at length. To me they are the Devil's Red Eyed Cattle. But they are cattle and in general behavior is similar to the cattle I've been around my whole life. I can't even smell them until right on a heavy amount of fresh manure because I'm so adjusted to that odor. However buffalo, cape buffalo, have an attitude like no other cattle. And a tenacity to keep living. And they can be vengeful. But shoot them properly and keep shooting them until you are positive they are dead! No stopping for high fives until the tracker or PH has touched the eye with the sticks;)
I really appreciate your response. You answered a lot of questions for me. You would be correct that it is not a matter of if but when ;) There is no doubt I want to go after everything Africa has to offer including the DG. For my first upcoming trip I want to get my feet wet with this entirely new way of hunting and be able to really soak up as much Africa as I can. The bug has bitten me hard and I haven’t even taken my first trip over yet. I am hoping to be able to make this a yearly trip for me starting in 2024 or 2025. The elephant hunting really has captured me, no doubt I have a lot of preparing and training ahead of me but I think doing a tuskless is the end goal I’d like to establish for my Africa endeavors.
In your opinion is there really much “wild” game hunting to be left in SA? I’m stuck going there for my first trip to get my woman to fall in love with Africa the way I have, at least from my readings of Hemingway. I want to try to stay away from the canned hunts as much as I can because it seems like every year it’s just getting harder and harder to find these truly wild animals that have yet to be touched by human hands.

If you get the chance go to FTW Ranch in Texas and take the Safari Prep Course. You get to shoot movers of various types, charging buf and ele, there is a safari walk with moving targets, timed range course, shooting off sticks and offhand. About 100 rounds in 2 days with your pg and dg rifles.
That defiantly will make its way into the itinerary! I am blessed to have a large farm and have thought about making my own track system to be able to train a lot for a charge.

@Rubi_300
Given you seem a bit nervous and unsure, I'd offer a suggestion that I normally might not. Do your first hunt in South Africa. Discuss in detail your desires and apprehension with a few Outfitters on here which there are several from RSA. Inquire about their ability and willingness to be flexible. Book enough days. At least 10, more is better. Ask about hunting the common PG and having the ability to add a buffalo. Not all have buffalo available nor are even licensed to hunt DG. Two I'd suggest starting with are Bossie @LIMPOPO BIG GAME SAFARIS and Marius @KMG Hunting Safaris they are friends and work together so may be hesitant to compete against one another so you will need to research both and decide who to contact. They are based in completely different areas. I suspect both have access to places that have buffalo available. Likely high fenced but I am unsure of you are ready for a true wild adventure in a remote location. In RSA your PH can stop at a gas station for fuel and snacks. Probably no real need for a Global Rescue plan. Your cell phone can work in most places.

So go on your PG hunt. Shoot a wildebeest, black in the East Cape or blue in Limpopo, zebra, kudu maybe, hartebeest, etc. Then if you feel good about it and want a buffalo, have that as a pre arranged optional add on. Discuss it with your PH openly and get his honest assessment. (He will likely want to help you get it). If you decide against it, again have the ore arranged option of doing something else. Night hunting for little critters is a blast. You might take a shotgun with and do some bird hunting. Add more PG. I think Marius can arrange a caracal with dogs. Bush pig!

Or go fishing, tour a park, other tourist things, especially if you have family or a significant other with you they might enjoy that. Just be sure to options available and tip well;)
That is kinda what I had in mind, just doing a buffalo if I really feel up to it and obviously if the PH thinks so as well. I am hoping to go for 10 days of hunting at a minimum. Hopefully more like 15 so I can do some bird hunting. I haven’t thought of night hunting but that sounds like a blast! Before I know it I’m going to be better off to just move to Africa for a few years and get my thirst for the dark continent quenched..not that it seems that it can really ever be completely satisfied. I appreciate the recommendations!

Hi Rubi, @BeeMaa said it well and with DG hunting there will always be risks involved. All being said I don’t think that it should discourage you at all, if it is something that you want to do you can make it work.

We have all heard or seen the horror stories yes, and some members here have been in dangerous situations, but we try to keep out of those as far as we can. It doesn’t have to be on the upper level of danger.

Do your research, do all the preparation that you can and put in the time and effort, what you put in is what you get out.

It is very rewarding and yes, once you get into it you might just develop a new addiction.

Best of luck and let us know how it all goes!!
Yes, those have hunted DG alot know best.

That is kinda what I had in mind, just doing a buffalo if I really feel up to it and obviously if the PH thinks so as well. I am hoping to go for 10 days of hunting at a minimum. Hopefully more like 15 so I can do some bird hunting. I haven’t thought of night hunting but that sounds like a blast! Before I know it I’m going to be better off to just move to Africa for a few years and get my thirst for the dark continent quenched..not that it seems that it can really ever be completely satisfied. I appreciate the recommendations!
For flying that distance, my wife and I consider 10 days of hunting a minimum. If you have the opportunity to do 15...take it. I'll lay odds that you are planning a return trip before the end of the first week.

As for DG, there's no reason to push yourself and no shame in putting it off for the next trip. Your perspective will change between the the time you were hunting and a month after you are back. Suddenly everything will make more sense. Everyone has a first time, enjoy it and don't stress about the DG aspect. Be prepared, but not stressed...easier said than done. All the best.

Hello and welcome to this wonderful forum! You have several pages of great advice already, if you haven't booked your trip yet my suggestion is to go on a plains game safari in a concession or conservancy that has naturally breeding dangerous game in it. You will then be able to walk and stalk among buffalo, see fresh leopard tracks and maybe hear them sawing at dusk, watch a herd of elephants destroy trees, maybe even track up to a rhino. Nothing more thrilling than seeing a fresh lion track over your footprint from that morning. All while still pursuing your main quarry of plains game. Your P.H. and trackers will keep you safe but let you experience the thrills of walking among them. Then you can decide if you want hunt DG.

In your opinion is there really much “wild” game hunting to be left in SA? I’m stuck going there for my first trip to get my woman to fall in love with Africa the way I have, at least from my readings of Hemingway. I want to try to stay away from the canned hunts as much as I can because it seems like every year it’s just getting harder and harder to find these truly wild animals that have yet to be touched by human hands.
It will tick off a few people, but it's my opinion, you asked for it, and it's probably worth what you are paying for it;)

So no not really. Not like in Tanzania or Mozambique, or Zimbabwe. Those four countries are the only ones in Africa I've hunted so far. I'm guessing Zambia has wild places and quite sure if you want the full on experience as shared by a fine old gentleman at the AH dinner recently where he quietly stated that he'd been shot at, shot back, held hostage. Pretty well been everywhere and done everything.... Go to West or Central Africa. Seems pretty wild where you can hunt Bongo, forest elephant, forest buffalo, Lord Derby Eland...

I digress, I get to dreaming of all these places while typing:) You can find some very large properties in RSA, but there are fences, some are a long ways apart, but they are there. I have hunted a lot in RSA where there was no high fence. It's farm country mostly. So some low fences, and especially on the night hunts with Bossie, a lot of vegetable farms, corn farms, and orchards. Got my Cape Greysbok in the EC in an alfalfa field. All good fun but a bit like hunting in the US.

BTW, I believe it is against the law to have DG without a high fence. Now leopard are roaming everywhere, but you cannot effectively get a tag in RSA. But Buffalo will be behind a fence or in an area connected to Kruger. Of course Kruger is fenced but bigger than Rhode Island...

If you want to drive several hours from the last human settlement, and hunt close to a million acres of pure wilderness, go to Tanzania. I can hook you up with a guy but do it right, full bag, 4 buffalo, leopard, lion, full slate of PG including Roan and Sable. Expect to spend all of 100k USD. It's worth it;)

Last edited:
It will tick off a few people, but it's my opinion, you asked for it, and it's probably worth what you are paying for it;)

So no not really. Not like in Tanzania or Mozambique, or Zimbabwe. Those four countries are the only ones in Africa I've hunted so far. I'm guessing Zambia has wild places and quite sure if you want the full on experience as shared by a fine old gentleman at the AH dinner recently where he quietly stated that he'd been shot at, shot back, held hostage. Pretty well been everywhere and done everything.... Go to West or Central Africa. Seems pretty wild where you can hunt Bongo, forest elephant, forest buffalo, Lord Derby Eland...

I digress, I get to dreaming of all these places while typing:) You can find some very large properties in RSA, but there are fences, some are a long ways apart, but they are there. I have hunted a lot in RSA where there was no high fence. It's farm country mostly. So some low fences, and especially on the night hunts with Bossie, a lot of vegetable farms, corn farms, and orchards. Got my Cape Greysbok in the EC in an alfalfa field. All good fun but a bit like hunting in the US.

BTW, I believe it is against the law to have DG without a high fence. Now leopard are roaming everywhere, but you cannot effectively get a tag in RSA. But Buffalo will be behind a fence or in an area connected to Kruger. Of course Kruger is fenced but bigger than Rhode Island...

If you want to drive several hours from the last human settlement, and hunt close to a million acres of pure wilderness, go to Tanzania. I can hook you up with a guy but do it right, full bag, 4 buffalo, leopard, lion, full slate of PG including Roan and Sable. Expect to spend all of 100k USD. It's worth it;)
So, I am listening about who this "guy" is??

BTW, add up a lion hunt, leopard hunt, 4 buffalo, sable, Roan, eland, spotted hyena, 4 zebra, couple hartebeest, couple wart hogs, couple reedbuck, klipspringer, duiker, genet, side striped jackal, bushbuck, various birds, and opportunities for more. Bet you'd spend way over $100k. It will be over several trips, but it won't be a full bag 21 day Tanzania hunt ;)

As a former law enforcement officer, I will offer my usual quote on such topics from EH:

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

So, I am listening about who this "guy" is??
Our Outfitter was Sherdell O Sherdell, Mwatisi Safaris. The guy had the big cats dialed in!

You probably have this figured out. The cost of flying over, especially for two people, is more than a 5 day discount hunt! And you have 3 or 4 days, possibly more invested in travel. And it can be miserable and frustrating. If you are a business man, you can understand how that is a big part of the Overhead Cost, as is your gear, practice, training. So it makes sense to "dilute" that Overhead cost over as many days as you reasonably can. I like 3 weeks. Or at least 16 to 17 days for those with a day job. Two weeks plus the extra weekend and perhaps fly out the Friday evening before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg