Hornady DGS for Elephant

sureshot375

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Who has taken an elephant with a brain shot using Hornady DGS? I’m looking for real world feedback.

I picked up a new to me double a few months ago, and it shoots the factory Hornady loads really well. I haven’t tried the Norma’s loaded with woodleigh solids yet, but I doubt they will shoot as good as the Hornadys in the particular rifle. Also, Hornady is the least expensive and most readily available. So the question becomes, can I trust them?

My wife has taken 3 elephant and hippo with brain shots. Rifle Heym 88b, ammunition

Internet cut out the above post should have stayed ammunition .450-.400 Hornady DGS

A PH friend of mine made a perfect frontal brainshot with .375H&H DGS..

You will probably get the traditional Hornady shitstorm on this topic.
A PH of mine made a side shot to the brain at a cropraider bull even with bullet exit.
It's not an elephant's skull in the photo, but the DGS ,.375, went through like butter.
You see the exit hole
And that with a 70 cm thick, fresh wet beech.
To be exact - it was 68 cm
A skull bone is more porous.
durch die Buche.JPG

Do you reload ??
yes,but this hole was an old factory ammo from Hornady

my PH - experienced in 20 years game mangement in Hangwe NP,
shot over 500 elephants with .375 and the " trashy" PMP FMJ ammo from South Africa.

I do not, but I could probably start or get someone to reload for me. I have plenty of brass and a decent supply of woodleigh bullets.

I just hate to have to find an alternative solution when the rifle is regulated really well with readily available factory ammo.
that's true.
But you also learn a lot and practise a lot more.
And reloading big game cartridges is much cheaper than buying them in a shop.
In our country, three rounds of .450 NE cost 50 €...........if they are in stock at all.

07C0C9B5-7166-4823-87E3-D966D32642EF.jpeg

Not with the Hornady DGS. But with the old Hornady 300Gr round nosed steel jacketed F.M.J solid (1982). It was a single side brain shot.

Ammunition was Remington factory loads (which were utilizing Hornady solids at the time). Rifle was a BRNO ZKK602 in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.

There are likely some technically higher performing solids…but real world, the DGS is more than adequate for any task you could put a solid to.

The Woodleigh Hydro is probably the most advanced design…but feeding issues.

The Swift Break Away is arguably going to make a more damaging wound track…but at the potential expense of penetrating depth.

Either way, the DGS is a very good bullet in excellent ammo from a company that truly life’s what they build. I would use it without worry.

View attachment 524583
Not with the Hornady DGS. But with the old Hornady 300Gr round nosed steel jacketed F.M.J solid (1982). It was a single side brain shot.

Ammunition was Remington factory loads (which were utilizing Hornady solids at the time). Rifle was a BRNO ZKK602 in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.
HH,
please tell us about this elephant hunt.
In grateful expectation of your story.
Foxi

HH,
please tell us about this elephant hunt.
In grateful expectation of your story.
Foxi
Anything in particular, Foxi? Or just the whole story?

It’s the first time I ever took my son with me to Africa.

Anything in particular, Foxi? Or just the whole story?

It’s the first time I ever took my son with me to Africa.
you are funny.
Of course the whole story of-- when, where, how and with whom it was planned, how much it cost back then, etc.

you are funny.
Of course the whole story of-- when, where, how and with whom it was planned, how much it cost back then, etc.
Well, I guess I can eventually pen it down under the “articles” section. Shouldn’t take too long. It happened in Zimbabwe.

If you have the ability to load or someone trustworthy to load for you, I would suggest shooting the factory regulated ammo over a chronograph and then have the Woodleighs loaded to the same velocity and try them out.

My .470ne shoots both Hornady & Woodleigh to the same point of aim with the same load.

I’ve shot four (4) ele’s with DGS’ in 470 NE. One frontal brain, 1 quartering away brain (the Bell shot), and 2 heart shot double-taps. Recovered the bullets every time. They worked well. If they didn’t, recovering the bullets would have been much harder. We are not talking about using Cordite here. There are other very good bullets out there as well. The bigger issue is likely to be making the frontal brain shot. That requires a lot of practice/shooting. Use whatever bullets you can shoot the most.

My brother has taken 13 + elephant with Hornady DGS. He has a 416 rigby. He is very happy with DGS and buys up all he can. I haven't asked him exactly how many but it was 13 several years ago. They control numbers on a conservancy He works on. The conservancy also uses hornady dgs in 458 lott so another whole bunch (30+) as well as peregrine solids. They do photographic safaris on the property and issue hornady as carry ammo. I would happily carry them myself but my handloads are much cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg