Holy Smokes, its huge!!

I may have a plan.;)o_O I have pretty high ceilings in the front room. No rec room or trophy room. I currently have 6 critters in the area including a euro panel buff, shoulder mount sable, euro kudu and 3 other smaller spiral horns, all shoulder mounts. If I move my sitatunga out from behind the TV and put it where the nyala is, I MAY have just:cautious: enough room for the eland. My boy, large and strong(y) will be over today or tomorrow to help me out,, I hope!:eek::eek::rolleyes:

Johnnyblues,
Man, I like that pedestal mount. How much space does it take up length, width and height? I have a kudu and gemsbok wall mounted now and am going for eland in April. From what Ses wrote, I don't have wall space for my eland (if I get one). It's much bigger than I thought.
It really doesn’t take up as much room as you might think. Those are only 7-1/2 foot ceilings. The pedestal had to be tilted down to mount the trophies without hitting the ceiling. If I were to guess it’s no more than 5 feet wide and length geez isn’t much at all maybe 3 feet, the pedestal was purposely kept low for ceiling height.

you guys are missing the boat on this one now you have justification to go back and find one of whatever to fit in the space available gosh I cant believe you missed that one LOL

I got it up on the wall! Had to do some creative re arranging but its there. Found out the place I thought I had a stud didn't have a stud. This beast needs a stud to bolt into! Have a couple pix in a bit.

Here is pix. Shown with a smallish kudu and my prized sitatunga from Botswana 1990.
IMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG

Congrats, on getting it fit into your home! Everything looks nice! A eland really stands out from the wall.

It certainly does! About 44" worth!:eek: I had it figured for one stud closer to the kudu wall, went to the trouble of moving the bookcase to clear the dewlap, then discovered there was no stud where I thought to be one, so moved it closer to the fireplace. Had to scrunch the sitatunga in between the eland and a euro buff head but it is what it is.

Looks great Scott, no doubt the heavier pieces need a stud in the wall. There’s a product out there that claims it can hold 200lbs without a stud. The hanger is made by OOK. If you google heavy weight wall hangers ( or something like that lol) you will find them. Sold on amazon also under that and various other names. I have about 15 trophies hung on that hook and although one guys review says he has an elk hunt on it I still wouldn’t trust sheet rock on heavier pieces.Make sure you word it 200 lb hooks

Last edited:
upload_2019-3-3_7-46-24.jpeg
200 lb hook

Don't think I would trust that to a large head like this in just drywall. 3 little nails? I suspect if the weight is pulling directly down it may be OK, but with a critter like this projecting nearly 4' off the wall, not too sure. As I did have to move my sitatunga off a stud, him being not so heavy, I just used a good screw in a small drilled hole, coated in epoxy to hold it.

Don't think I would trust that to a large head like this in just drywall. 3 little nails? I suspect if the weight is pulling directly down it may be OK, but with a critter like this projecting nearly 4' off the wall, not too sure. As I did have to move my sitatunga off a stud, him being not so heavy, I just used a good screw in a small drilled hole, coated in epoxy to hold it.
No if you google it there’s a angular bar that goes in and angles upward. The 3 nails basically hold the plate in place

Oh OK, didn't even look at it other than the pic. :oops:

I posted this photo awhile back when somebody asked for the dimensions of an eland mount. Yes, they are huge. It took me and two good sized friends, all of us on different step ladders, to get this big boy on the wall. I have 3/4" plywood behind the sheetrock and used a pretty good size lag bolt to hang it.

upload_2018-10-29_15-17-35-png.255526

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-29_15-17-35.png
    upload_2018-10-29_15-17-35.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
Its interesting though. As the weight bears on the hook, it pulls the upper flat bar against the backside of the drywall. Would certainly do for smaller critters, and maybe even the big ones, but even though my eland doesn't weigh anywhere near 200 lbs, its still seems like a stud is the way to go. Especially with the thing being nearly 4' off the wall.

Congrats on getting it home and up on the wall! Looks good

Its interesting though. As the weight bears on the hook, it pulls the upper flat bar against the backside of the drywall. Would certainly do for smaller critters, and maybe even the big ones, but even though my eland doesn't weigh anywhere near 200 lbs, its still seems like a stud is the way to go. Especially with the thing being nearly 4' off the wall.
Absolutely catch a stud I would never trust sheetrock on anything like that. Anything heavier than an elk ( possibly) I have caught studs for my heavier trophies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.