Holland & Holland serial numbers

LES7

AH veteran
Reaction score
Guys, forgive me if this isn’t the place…. I’m not very good at this online stuff. Please let me know where to post if not. But what year range would you put this H&H bolt action, 98 New Bond St. barrel mark?
thank you and merry Christmas

84654AAE-6B5A-4715-8CC2-6CD5EF2025F0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
LES7,

Congratulations on owning a H&H. I do not know the Holland serial number ranges, and you might already be aware of this, but may I suggest that you contact H&H and for a nominal fee they should be able to provide you with the exact year of manufacture and the original specifications along with possibly who ordered it originally. You never know, it might show some interesting information.
At the very least you would have a factory letter to go with your fine rifle confirming it’s specifications and possibly a copy from their ledger books.

Best of Luck,

JP

I had a look in my copy of Nigel Brown's "British Gunmakers - Volume I" and according to him, the serial numbers 9 000-10 000 are unused in the Holland ledgers. Also, the identical proofmarks on the barrel and action looks like South African proofmarks.

I would contact Holland & Holland directly on this one.

LES7,

Congratulations on owning a H&H. I do not know the Holland serial number ranges, and you might already be aware of this, but may I suggest that you contact H&H and for a nominal fee they should be able to provide you with the exact year of manufacture and the original specifications along with possibly who ordered it originally. You never know, it might show some interesting information.
At the very least you would have a factory letter to go with your fine rifle confirming it’s specifications and possibly a copy from their ledger books.

Best of Luck,

JP
Thanks, I’ve got an inquiry in, they are just taking their time getting back to me

I had a look in my copy of Nigel Brown's "British Gunmakers - Volume I" and according to him, the serial numbers 9 000-10 000 are unused in the Holland ledgers. Also, the identical proofmarks on the barrel and action looks like South African proofmarks.

I would contact Holland & Holland directly on this one.
I saw that too? What would the SA proof marks mean that it could be a forgery?

I don't read that as being a Holland & Holland rifle, just that the caliber is Holland's 375 Magnum Rimless.

Best regards,
The barrel has Holland & Holland 98 New Bond St
Guy from Holland said it looks correct but that serial number is too high
I've got the seller getting in touch with London. Rifle is kind of a head scratcher right now

I saw that too? What would the SA proof marks mean that it could be a forgery?
It's a possibility, although a letter from H&H should clear things up pretty quickly.

(1) Please might you check that the cross bolt is unengraved? I should have expected it to be engraved (and timed - ie. properly horizontal, not at an angle). If you can post some more pictures, that might help. Even quite ordinary guns were/ are engraved in a house style. Just on the basis of the one picture, I am a little dubious that it is a Holland & Holland rifle at all: so far as I can see, the engraved description is in respect of the cartridge, not the rifle. Any rogue can engrave a spurious maker's name on the barrel.

(2) Check the throat of the barrel for cordite burn. If there is any, either beat the price down or walk away.

I'll post some pictures of my H&H tomorrow, if I have time. My rifle is from the late '60s, and - frankly - it's a bit of a dog. The QD scope mounts do not align with the barrel and the stock is so badly fitted that the rifle kicks like a mule. Post-war H&H rifles were of variable quality; don't be seduced by the name alone.

(1) Please might you check that the cross bolt is unengraved? I should have expected it to be engraved (and timed - ie. properly horizontal, not at an angle). If you can post some more pictures, that might help. Even quite ordinary guns were/ are engraved in a house style. Just on the basis of the one picture, I am a little dubious that it is a Holland & Holland rifle at all: so far as I can see, the engraved description is in respect of the cartridge, not the rifle. Any rogue can engrave a spurious maker's name on the barrel.

(2) Check the throat of the barrel for cordite burn. If there is any, either beat the price down or walk away.

I'll post some pictures of my H&H tomorrow, if I have time. My rifle is from the late '60s, and - frankly - it's a bit of a dog. The QD scope mounts do not align with the barrel and the stock is so badly fitted that the rifle kicks like a mule. Post-war H&H rifles were of variable quality; don't be seduced by the name alone.
It’s on gunbroker here are the pics, let me know what you think. no serial number on trigger guard I already asked. He did send me a bore scope video, didn’t look bad at all
thanks

7576F21E-80E4-45C6-BAAA-6BA32B16688A.jpeg
2E4B1205-A4B8-4219-B1C2-3EC5FFF05659.jpeg
AC2A2C9B-63AE-484E-82C0-FA467958E6AB.jpeg
6DC691DB-0C54-4FC4-847D-F3472CDFA6F5.jpeg
DD17251E-1321-4CB6-ACC4-75666FF7CDE5.jpeg
9499F347-0780-4694-A640-6391BBD1ED55.jpeg
2C34210D-C271-4372-8D27-44E36FAFCA71.jpeg
3172E45D-5EA6-402F-8C36-A2A9656D7412.jpeg
5AE1D956-422C-45C9-97E0-7386DFF80B11.jpeg
FAA509EB-F60E-4950-93F1-F7F24662B88C.jpeg
061950E5-FD85-4B99-B576-8A54A15C983C.jpeg
72F3F65D-9386-4E34-B725-D7B6CAFB3F39.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LottieStok

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.