Hippo Trophy

Hallgeir Gravråk

AH veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2018
Messages
171
Reaction score
453
Location
Norway
Media
120
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
4
Europe
2
Member of
SCI Nordic Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
I have a question for you guys:
I`m going for a Hippohunt in June.
And a hippo shouldermount is to big for my livingroom.

Wich options do I have for a trophymount and what are there to prefer?

I`m aware of that it`s the teeth I can take care of for a trophy, I wonder, what will you guys prefer?
 
I took the whole skull without really knowing what to do with it. When it arrived I put it on top of the gun safe. That thing is so heavy that it was either that or on the floor somewhere. When people come over for some reason I get asked more about the hippo skull than anything else. I am happy that I chose to keep it.

DSC02676.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you cant do a shoulder, bring the whole skull home. Then when you get home you can decide to leave it as a skull or just take the teeth and put on a plaque .
 
under a glass coffee table? my skull is in my trophy room on the floor
 
I am also planning for a hippo hunt this year, and this is what I will do with it

UcmA9XX.jpg
 

Attachments

  • UcmA9XX.jpg
    UcmA9XX.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 229
If you have floor space you can always do a very cool ascending open mouth partial shoulder mount with artificial water and reeds.
 
When I hunt hippo my plan is to have a low octagon base with the skull laying in artificial water with reeds around it. Possibly add some led lighting under the water.
 
I took the whole skull without really knowing what to do with it. When it arrived I put it on top of the gun safe. That thing is so heavy that it was either that or on the floor somewhere. When people come over for some reason I get asked more about the hippo skull than anything else. I am happy that I chose to keep it.

View attachment 328696

this is what I am doing as well
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,455
Messages
1,576,652
Members
170,615
Latest member
HannahDadd
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top