High dollar dies for a newbie?

Im not going to be loading true match grade ammo using my RCBS rock chucker and a set of Lee precision dies..

It is not ideal, I have loaded many round on that very setup and that ammo won FTR matches at 600 yards.

Rock Chucker presses are very consistent, they have very little runout. Is it the same quality as my Präzipress? No, it is about a 1/5 of the cost and the quality of the ammo does NOT reflect the price difference.

Their is as much Vudoo as science when it comes to reloading in some people's rituals. It's like anything else you just have to be consistent in your processes if you want consistent results.

Neck tension is a big factor for consistent results.

It is not ideal, I have loaded many round on that very setup and that ammo won FTR matches at 600 yards.

Rock Chucker presses are very consistent, they have very little runout. Is it the same quality as my Präzipress? No, it is about a 1/5 of the cost and the quality of the ammo does NOT reflect the price difference.

Their is as much Vudoo as science when it comes to reloading in some people's rituals. It's like anything else you just have to be consistent in your processes if you want consistent results.

Neck tension is a big factor for consistent results.
That's one thing I'm not sure of, how does one check neck tension?

I thought we were going to be talking about SAC dies. I would consider them as high dollar.
Well I really meant standard type dies vs those labeled as preision or benchrest dies. I know they're still be a difference but is it enough for an average shooter or reloaded to see that difference. Like in a barrel; if barrel xxx is a high end precision barrel that will give me 1/8" tighter groups that's great for a competitor but for a hunter shooting less than 800 yards is really not a huge benefit.

That's one thing I'm not sure of, how does one check neck tension?

The easy way is use bushing dies. You will the bushing larger or smaller to adjust the tension on the neck. You will need to anneal your brass for consistency and brass life.

Well I really meant standard type dies vs those labeled as preision or benchrest dies. I know they're still be a difference but is it enough for an average shooter or reloaded to see that difference. Like in a barrel; if barrel xxx is a high end precision barrel that will give me 1/8" tighter groups that's great for a competitor but for a hunter shooting less than 800 yards is really not a huge benefit.

For myself, I like the match dies with the indicator stems that are adjustable. Takes the guess work out when you need to seat longer or shorter. It just takes the frustration out of adjusting bullet seating depth. Is it worth the investment? For me it is, even my 375h&h has it.

Now, getting into barrels is another rabbit hole I'm not sure many are interested in. I'll say this about barrels, I know a good number of people that can shoot to a barrels potential. That is due to the circle of people I run in. Most people are not able to shoot to the capabilities of their rifles. It takes a lot of commitment to get to that level. It is by no means impossible, it just takes practice.

The easy way is use bushing dies. You will the bushing larger or smaller to adjust the tension on the neck. You will need to anneal your brass for consistency and brass life.

For myself, I like the match dies with the indicator stems that are adjustable. Takes the guess work out when you need to seat longer or shorter. It just takes the frustration out of adjusting bullet seating depth. Is it worth the investment? For me it is, even my 375h&h has it.

Now, getting into barrels is another rabbit hole I'm not sure many are interested in. I'll say this about barrels, I know a good number of people that can shoot to a barrels potential. That is due to the circle of people I run in. Most people are not able to shoot to the capabilities of their rifles. It takes a lot of commitment to get to that level. It is by no means impossible, it just takes practice.
Yeah an annealer is my next planned reloading purchase. Idk how often though, some say after every shot others say only every 3 to 5 firings. I didn't get budging dies because I didn't know what the difference was but if that's going to be beneficial I'll get new ones for a few of mine anyway. My 308, 300wm and 375 should be capable of shooting better than I can.

If you are handy with a few tools do some searches on building your own annieler. There are a few of them on YouTube and while they are slower than the factory built ones they won't break the bank.

I have been reloading for 45 years and have always used RCBS dies FL dies. I still use my original Rockchucker Supreme single stage press from when I first started.
I have never had a problem and load all of my rifles to 1/2 MOA.
No reason to change now.

Yeah an annealer is my next planned reloading purchase. Idk how often though, some say after every shot others say only every 3 to 5 firings. I didn't get budging dies because I didn't know what the difference was but if that's going to be beneficial I'll get new ones for a few of mine anyway. My 308, 300wm and 375 should be capable of shooting better than I can.

I use an AMP, I anneal everytime I reload no and questions asked. Yes it is expensive, it is one tool I would not be without. I have sunk a lot of money into reloading. Shooting is a passion not a hobby for me, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Press - is a Präzipress
Powder throw - Auto-Trickler V3 with the Ingenuity Powder Meter
Annealer - Is an AMP
Case trimmer- Giraud Case Trimmer
Dies - all different brands

I have had a different powder throw, a Prometheus Gen II. When I got out of shooting PRS matches, I sold it and got more than I paid for it.

So carbide dies for 44 mag and 45-70, thanks. So far I've got RCBS and Redding but still need dies for 338 3030 270 and 223.
Yes, many use those for those.
My lengthy post got lost.

Wilson and other high end target dies are not necessary for hunters.
I use Hornady and Redding.

Hey guys I have a stupid question: do I need a different die or tool to open the case mouth? The only friend I have that reloads uses a Dillon and the powder drop bells his cases but my single stage doesn't do that so how do I do it?

Hey guys I have a stupid question: do I need a different die or tool to open the case mouth? The only friend I have that reloads uses a Dillon and the powder drop bells his cases but my single stage doesn't do that so how do I do it?

Bottleneck cases it’s done in your size die. Straight wall cases there’s a dedicated die.

Giraud makes the finest case trimmers and anneals in the world…the universe, as far as we know!

Your straight wall sets or pistol cartridge sets should have a die with a tapered plug that puts a bell on the end of the case.

The 2 die rifle set will have a full length size die that will have an expander ball that will be on the decaapping rod. It will slide into a fired case and the case neck will be sized down by the die if set right. When you retract it the case mought is drawn over the expander ball to get it just right.

A neck size die ( optional ) does the same without sizing the body .

A good reloading manual should have some Info on adjusting dies and initial setup

Your straight wall sets or pistol cartridge sets should have a die with a tapered plug that puts a bell on the end of the case.

The 2 die rifle set will have a full length size die that will have an expander ball that will be on the decaapping rod. It will slide into a fired case and the case neck will be sized down by the die if set right. When you retract it the case mought is drawn over the expander ball to get it just right.

A neck size die ( optional ) does the same without sizing the body .

A good reloading manual should have some Info on adjusting dies and initial setup
OK see that's what I thought but he was telling me that since my powder drop didn't bell the case I would need a special die for each cartridge to do it. Thanks for straightening that out, I think I will get the Lee universal expander just in case though.

There is no need to start buying specialty dies such as the Lee Universal expander die.

What ever die set that you purchase will work just fine. I couldn't even begin to think about the number of rounds that I have loaded with the standard RCBS dies with zero problems.

Get started up and going, then down the road if you decide that you need or want other pieces of equipment then buy it then.

In my book a beginning loader should just stick with the basics until he learns just what he is doing.

There is no need to start buying specialty dies such as the Lee Universal expander die.

What ever die set that you purchase will work just fine. I couldn't even begin to think about the number of rounds that I have loaded with the standard RCBS dies with zero problems.

Get started up and going, then down the road if you decide that you need or want other pieces of equipment then buy it then.

In my book a beginning loader should just stick with the basics until he learns just what he is doing.

I will add to that it's not just knowing what you are doing but working out what gear you really need for you needs

They refer to going down the rabbit hole.

That proverbial rabbit hole is deep with many tunnels to sideline you .

You can make accurate ammo with basic equipment. You can spend all you want if you want but take it slowly so you don't clutter your bench with a heap of stuff that isn't critical to your requirements.when you seem you need them, sure get anything you want but it sounds like for now you are getting into basic reloading for standard rifles so take your time and enjoy it.

The most valuable tool here is knowledge. Some experienced people here will share that for free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OrenMays0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.