Hi all New member in Wyoming

Welcome to our forum Matt...You're going to love it here!

Matt, how about an update on your bison hunt? I’d love to see some pictures and read a brief report!

Welcome sir. Great place to be!

Welcome to AH Matt! Planning is half the fun!

Welcome aboard, this is a great place, and good luck on your Bison hunt. (y)(y)

Matt, how about an update on your bison hunt? I’d love to see some pictures and read a brief report!
Still hunting! headed back up in about 15 minutes. Still waiting for those surly buggers to leave the Park! Fingers crossed it will be this weekend!

Welcome Matt! Have you considered Namibia for your first African experience?
Hi John. I've been to Nambia and really enjoyed it, though I wasn't hunting on that trip. Hoping to get back there sometime, but for this first trip I'm booked for Tanzania. Thanks!

Welcome to AH Matt! Glad you found us and joined our community.

Finally dropped my bison on Monday!

This hunt area is just outside of Yellowstone and you have to wait for the bison to come out of the Park before you can hunt them. Spent a total of 13 days (on and off through Dec and Jan) tracking where they were in the Park and waiting for some to cross into hunt able territory.

Sunday afternoon I saw 5 bulls head towards the Park and we mounted up horses and circled around in front of them -- but alas they decided to stop about 100yds from the river that is the boundary line.

Out again Monday morning and we could see that they crossed. 5 animals and a bunch of hunters waiting for them. Some guys on the other side of the mountain saw them first and dropped 3; the remaining two hopped our way over the ridge and I dropped one of them. On the run at 425-450 yds from kneeling; 338 win mag with 250gr a-frames. First shot took him down, but of course he got back up. Had several more rounds in him before it was all said and done. Freaking lead sponges! (Probably best local training I can get for Cape Buffalo!)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_792.jpg

About 3 feet of snow on the ground, so we gutted him in place and dragged him to a recovery road with the horses. Hide and skull are now with taxidermist and I have 4 giant quarters hanging in the barn.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_791.jpg

If anyone is planning to do this hunt in the future, let me know and I'll be happy to provide detailed input.

Did you have tag and drag help with the bull? We helped them with some cow hunters when we were up there and they drug my bull out for me. Crazy nice folks the wife was a riot. She was harassing us as we were gutting mine. We broke trail out for her with our mules. Where did you stay in Jackson?

What a snowy ordeal! Great you had horses. Excellent shooting! If you can hit those at 400 yards, you won’t have a problem hitting a Cape buffalo at 30 yards. It’s a different game in the bushveld.
Thanks for sharing!

Did you have tag and drag help with the bull? We helped them with some cow hunters when we were up there and they drug my bull out for me. Crazy nice folks the wife was a riot. She was harassing us as we were gutting mine. We broke trail out for her with our mules. Where did you stay in Jackson?
Yes, I had TagNDrag do the heavy lifting. That hunt has weird logistics - like hard/expensive to find places to even keep your own horses if you bring them up there. Would not have been fun to try to get that thing out in pieces on foot through the snow by myself! Easier just to get their help for sure. Stayed at the Flat Creek Inn; they have a buffalo hunter rate that's super inexpensive. Not fancy but nice people and the rooms are more than adequate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vilianagmp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg