Heym 500 Nitro Reloading

Skshyk

AH fanatic
Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Messages
592
Reaction score
1,899
Media
23
Hunting reports
Africa
3
Hi all this was my 3rd range trip with my Heym 500 nitro. First couple range trips I was really trying to get use to the rifle and the recoil! This time around I shot on paper with my reloads. I purchased a significate amount Woodleigh Bullets 570gr RN SN and Banded Solids. The solids were grouping much better then the SN. I reloaded the SN with 95gr of RL15 my goal is to get tighter groups using these bullets given the difficulty of finding other bullets. The picture below was shot off hand at 50 yards. The green were the solids and the red are the SN. I shot 5 different targets with similar results. My question being, will different powder, amount, or any adjustments I can make to get better groups using these bullets ? Leaving on Friday for a hog hunt and do my first hunt with my first double!


IMG_2138.jpg
 
Are the bullets crossed? In other words, which shot is the right barrel?
 
Yes both green and red hits are the shots to the left and right ones are from the left barrel
 
My 500 89b was crossing at 50 yards using R15 and swift aframes/CEB solids. I never could get R15 to work. Switched to H4350 and problems resolved.
 
Different powders and different powder charges will definitely make a difference to accuracy, RL17 is by far the most accurate in my 470 double.
 
Those Woodleighs shot very well out of my Verney 500 NE. I was shooting basically the same powder charge give or take a grain. I was using a chronograph to get the desired speed and find the sweet spot. Also, I was shooting off of a Caldwell tripod that held the front and rear of the gun while I was standing up. If you shot those groups off hand without sticks or some form of support and only 3 trips to the range, I think you did pretty good.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,571,312
Members
169,336
Latest member
JennyKneeb
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top