Hey folks, I'm Carl

I live in Texas and have always dreamed of an African hunt but I'm 62 now and doubt I will ever get to go. I've hunted Texas of course and a few states for game and birds. I've always loved hunting, and fishing and my boys do too. Pretty much anything you can go for in the US. I've hunted birds in Argentina several times and love the people there. It's a whole lot cheaper than Africa of course. It's closer and no big effort is need for doves and such but it ain't Africa!! I would dearly love to go hunt in Africa...
Maybe if somebody out there is looking for someone to partner up with to take the plunge you might get ahold of me Who knows maybe I'll get to go before I kick this mortal coil...Keep your powder dry!!
i was 62 on my first hunt to africa.am 79 now and my wife and i have been 5 times,get packing!!!

I live in Texas and have always dreamed of an African hunt but I'm 62 now and doubt I will ever get to go. I've hunted Texas of course and a few states for game and birds. I've always loved hunting, and fishing and my boys do too. Pretty much anything you can go for in the US. I've hunted birds in Argentina several times and love the people there. It's a whole lot cheaper than Africa of course. It's closer and no big effort is need for doves and such but it ain't Africa!! I would dearly love to go hunt in Africa...
Maybe if somebody out there is looking for someone to partner up with to take the plunge you might get ahold of me Who knows maybe I'll get to go before I kick this mortal coil...Keep your powder dry!!

Welcome and you will love Africa if you go. You can even go after some birds when there to help keep cost down since they are cheaper then most plains game. I have been going and taking guys with for the last few years and you just may find a way to team up with a group if you look around. May have something for next year even if you would like to chat about it.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome, it's never too late to realize a dream. I turned 61 last year and went on a Cape Buffalo hunt in Zambia (my third safari). I figure you only travel this way but once so you might as well enjoy the ride. I am sure there are outfitters on here that can help you make that dream a reality.

Welcome to AH Snotemxd! Glad you found us and joined our community.

Welcome to AH Carl! Let us know if you have any questions...

Welcome to AH Carl! Glad you joined in.

Carl,

Welcome to the greatest forum in the world.

Only in your 60's ?
Me too (65).
Returned from my best African Safari thus far, only last September.
Refer to my posted ramblings about same, in the "Hunting Reports" section of the forum, entitled "Namibia, Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris"
(Or, words to that affect).
Also wrote one about it entitled, "The Old Dog Hunts Again" which might be in some other section of the forum but anyway........

As others have mentioned, hunting in Africa is way more affordable than one might think.
For that same misperception, I too dragged my feet about it for many years.
After finally going once, I've quit hunting here in Alaska where I live and just save my rupees for the next Africa trip.
I do not miss the frozen tent, ramen noodles for breakfast lunch and dinner, glassing and hoping for days on end, with rain and snow blowing sideways during half the hunt and terrifying rides in a lawn mower with wings on it, during howling 60 mph wind gusts.

Anyway, thanks for joining the forum and like the rest of the members here, I look forward to your posts, Africa or no Africa.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Thanx for all the replies! I'll keep looking for that safari I can afford. Maybe my sons will take me!!!!

Welcome Snotexmd! Many years ago we had a hunter who also thought at 62 that he will not be able to hunt Africa again - when he turned 80, he decided that he was going to do it again. He returned 3 more times.....!!!!

Welcome to a great place to learn about hunting Africa. Just so you know 62 is younger than my dad was when he went on his first safari, he was 65, he then took me, my ,cousin , and 2 of my brother-in-laws back with him the next year and is going again this year on a buffalo hunt. With all that being said go, it will be worth whatever you spend on the trip. The experience you have and the memories you make will be worth far more than you will spend on the trip.

I’ll be 63 this month. Been on 3 Safaris’s with the 4th one booked for next year. Talking about a 5 th with buffalo in the future. We gave up shooting sporting clays competitions!! Saved a lot of money!! We still shoot just not as much. Go to Africa!! Every time we book a hunt we call our kids and tell them we’re spending ur inheritance!!! They say go have a blast!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross