Help with my bow hunting setup for Plains Game

Synergy

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI (Chile chapter)
Hi friends, a long time lurker but first time poster here.

I've learned a lot from all of you.

I'll be in my first Safari in July 2016, trying to hunt some plains game (Limpopo area). Please, share with me your opinion of my setup:

Bow Elite Synergy 70#, 28,5 inches, arrow weight 545 grains, speed 230 fps, that means Momentum 056 and KE 64
I'll be using DRT broadheads (single bevels) and MAYBE a Grim Reaper mechanical broadhead for impala and warthog.

Do you think that I must use a lighter arrow to get some speed? I' m not going to take a shot longer than 30 yards. (I can get about 270 fps with a 416 grains arrow)*

Please, forgive the fact that I am not an native english speaker so there might be a lot inconsistencies in the above sentences or grammar.

* yeah, I know is not a speed bow :unsure:

I'm not an experienced bow hunter. Having killed one elk with a bow, just does not count. But I've been shooting a bow off and on for many years. You heavy arrow at 230fps is considerably faster and with more momentum than bows of yesteryear. If your limiting yourself to 30 yards and can shoot that accurately, go with it as is.

This is a concern over .057 of a second.
The first arrow getting there at .391 of a second and the other getting there at .333.

You will be just fine with what you have set up already.

Have a great hunt.

As a friend is fond of saying to me:
"How far do you want the arrow buried in the dirt on the other side of the animal?"

By the way, Welcome to the posting side.

Synergy, first of all welcome .
IMO, stay with the 545 grain arrow, momentum is what you want not speed. I am not a proponent of mechanical broadheads, murphy law will get me. I shoot 175 grain VPA solid broadhead , Easton aulm 20/20 arrow 4' feathers total weight 615grains, out of a elite answer @ 60 lbs.
my last trip to Africa I shot 14 animals 2 holes on everything, pass thru on all but a blue wildebeest . most of the arrows were 50 to 80 yards from shot impact.
STUDY the atomy of African planes game.
Elite may not be a speed bow but it sure is quite & smooth to draw. Forrest

Thanks to all of you.
I've been studying all the "shot placement" photos here on the site, it seems that african animal hearts and lungs are located forward in the body than red stags and fallow deer (the animals that we hunt here in Chile)

I think you will do just fine with your current setup. I would rather shoot the heavier arrow than try to chase more speed. Make sure you shoot accurately! Shot placement is worth more than a bow hitting 300ft/s.
Because you are shooting a bit slower with the heavy arrow just make sure the animal is relaxed before shooting, especially for the string jumpers like the Impala, Duiker, Springbuck, Steenbuck and Warthog just to name a few and limit your distance to 30 yards with them.

Thanks to all of you.
I've been studying all the "shot placement" photos here on the site, it seems that african animal hearts and lungs are located forward in the body than red stags and fallow deer (the animals that we hunt here in Chile)

You are exactly right. They are a little forward of where were would normally be shooting.

Do not worry about ruining shoulder meat and put you shot into the "triangle" and you'll be set.

I'm thinking of aiming front leg 1/2 to 1/3 body up (broadside shot)

Do you think that i must use only cut on contact broadhead?

Do you think that i must use only cut on contact broadhead?
personally i use mechanical broad heads and i think they work great and have not lost animals to them, touch wood. if you are a fixed broadhead guy then use what you prefer. with your setup you will not have an issue to shoot through any animal up to an wildebees if you dont use cut on impact so its really a personal thing.

Welcome to AH, Synergy !

Petrus, what mechanicals broadheads are you using?

Go with accuracy over speed every time. As for the mechanicals vs. fixed, quality modern mechanicals should be fine. My personal preference is Muzzy three blade fixed, but that is my opinion and there are many others out there. As long as your bow is tuned properly to the arrow and quality broadheads that you select and you can put the arrow where you want it, have fun. One more comment, I know you mentioned your limit is 30 yards, I would recommend you practice out to 50 yards. If you can hit your animal at 50, you can hit it at 30.

Just my opinion.

Thanks Grady

I agree with you, I practice a lot at 50-60 yards, thats why i'm taking the 30 yards limit for an ethical and clean kill

Petrus, what mechanicals broadheads are you using?
My Personal favourite is G5 -T3 but have also used Rage 3 Blade or 2 Blade with great success
As for fixed blades my favourite was slick-tricks and G5 Montec and have taken down many animals with the Nap Nitron but just find that the mechanicals group way better then the fixed blade broadheads

As you can see with the many responses you will get many opinions .....what I'm going to offer is simple . What ever you decide to use learn to shoot it well . After all man has been bowhunting with little more than a stick and string for thousands of years . Good luck and play safe or should I revise it to good luck and shoot straight ?
Glen

As you can see with the many responses you will get many opinions .....what I'm going to offer is simple . What ever you decide to use learn to shoot it well . After all man has been bowhunting with little more than a stick and string for thousands of years . Good luck and play safe or should I revise it to good luck and shoot straight ?
Glen

You are exactly right (y)

Welcome, Synergy.

While I'm not nearly as experienced as many others, I have been fortunate enough to make 3 trips and collect a few critters. I have had passthrues on animals such as Kudu, Waterbuk, and Zebra with a lesser set-up than yours. In fact, the Zebra shot was with a bow at 56 pounds and a 425 grain arrow. Muzzy 3 blade 125 grain heads are the only heads I have used in Africa. The smaller game should not be a problem with any reasonable set-up.

All of my shots have been between 11 and 22 yards and all taken from blinds. I'd surely expect the shots taken by stalking could be further.

Just to be sure, I'd suggest that you discuss the mechanical heads with your outfitter, if you haven't already. One outfitter we hunted with would not allow their use. I don't take a stance on that, since I've never tried them.

The very best of luck to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg