Help to reload

BigCat

New member
Joined
Mar 3, 2025
Messages
14
Reaction score
9
Hi all, could someone who has the Woodleigh reloading manual check for data on reloading the 577/500 3 1/8 caliber? Thanks a lot
 
I haven't had a 3-1/8" rifle but have reloaded the No.2 quite a bit.
The usual smokeless load is with 4198 (H or IMR) and a filler - I use backer rod.
A good regulating load for the one double I had was 54grs H4198 and a paper patched 450gr bullet.

I would think that, if your rifle is nitro proved, you would be leaning toward a heavier charge and heavier bullet but 4198 can surely be used.
What rifle are you loading for?
 
Sorry, just looked all through my woodleigh book and can’t find that caliber.
Saves me looking. As far as I know there is only one edition.
Unfortunately they did not publish data for .375H&H either but there are probably many covered that are not listed in other manuals
 
Mine is copyright 2014, I'm assuming that's the 2014 edition, as I didn't see "first edition published..." "second edition published..." on the copyright page.

For the .375, this plus 3 more pages.
375.jpg
On the 577, I see a 3 inch, but not a 3 1/8 inch. I don't know enough about those cartridges to know if that's helpful.
577a.jpg
577b.jpg
 
Last edited:
Your book doesn't have 375H&H?.... Mine does
Thanks, I will check because Saint Panzer does.

From memory mine doesn’t. I m pretty sure I even emailed Woodleigh and received a response along the lines of it was not included at the time of printing but I could use .375flanged data.

When I purchased the book it was because of my interest in the larger cartridges and the only one I hold at present is a .375H&H so I sort of wanted the book to make reference to one of the most popular DG cartridges available that forms a port of my small collection of related items
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,417
Messages
1,575,614
Members
170,366
Latest member
RosieBarre
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top