Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
Some great information in this thread. Last fall I purchased a Cannon Powershot SX50 and so far it can take a lot better photos than I can. And with it's 50x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom it can really get close when the photo is a long ways away, as long as you have a tripod to attach it to but I have done fairly well just resting it on my knees or a tree branch. It will be my go to camera when I am not hunting backing up my Olympus C-7000 zoom that I always have with me.

I also agree on the extra batteries. I will have 4 for this camera for my up coming safari in SA and 4 batteries for a camera that I'll pack on my hip along with a extra 32G memory card for each. You just never know when you are going to need a extra one or to replace a damaged one.

A way to download photos each night sounds like a good idea and as was said......back up, back up, back up.

Warbird782

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
EC and NW Province RSA, USA
If you have an IPad buy one of theses Apple to SD card readers. $29.00 at B&H photo. This is a great way to back up without bringing along a laptop. If your outfitter has WiFi you can update AH with your hunt details as it happens as well.
image.jpg

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
thanks for the info all. I went and ordered the camera, some extra batteries, and the scandisk 16gb card.

im not a big picture guy so I doubt id even need a 4 gig card but im going to try and take more pictures.

-matt

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Look forward to seeing the product.

Honestly, force yourself to take more pictures.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Look forward to seeing the product.

Honestly, force yourself to take more pictures.

Matt,

I'm not a picture guy either. I took about 400 pictures in Zim. One of the very few things I wish I had done differently is that I'd taken more pictures. Stop anytime you see anything you find even remotely interesting and take a picture of it. Make your PH stop too if you have to.

I can still see that giant white femur from an elephant bull laying in the short dead grass, tilted up at an angle in my mind's eye... I have to, I didn't stop.

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
One thing to remember about taking pictures is to also enjoy the scenery and the area before or while you take the picture. I know of quite a few people that have to wait to view their pictures to see what they experienced on their vacation or hunts. I was once that way when I traveled to Hawaii one year. I had to wait until the film was developed to see where I had been.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
My wife took 1600 pictures last year with an 8 Gb card and it wasn't full

Reactions: lcq

lcq

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA
I brought 2 cameras. A small pocket Canon (always in my pocket) and a larger Canon sx50hs with a 50X zoom. I was in the eastern cape and there were many long shots where the zoom was maxed out. I brought 3 8 gig cards and my Surface RT tablet for backup. Shot video, photos in RAW and still had room on an 8 gig card. Check the Canon refurb store I got mine with a full warranty for $225 Cdn.

BTW get a camera with a viewfinder. Way easier to see in sunlight and hold steady closer to your body

As others said optics trump megapixels, we have all looked through cheap scopes ;). Canon, Nikon have very good image stabilization which is a must for high zoom.

I never ran out of battery but I brought a spare just in case. Next time I'm leaving the chargers at home.

ActionBob

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
On our first trip my wife had to constantly change lenses on her Cannon DSLR for far and close shots. Then she bought a good lens that has a wide enough range it works for both and she was much happier... It was aftermarket and not Cannon, and expensive enough she did not tell me how much but it kept her from complaining about a new gun and big box of ammo so we're good!

Plus 1 on the eyepiece view finder in the sunlight. A necessity! We looked all around two cities to find a good video camera with an eye piece for just that reason. Her DSLR will not take video through the eye piece and a dedicated video camera is just so much better at video...

But Matt you don't need to spend this kind of money, stay within budget and do the best you can within that. I agree to take pictures of everything but not to the point your not hunting hard! I'm sure the hunt is your first priority and pictures are very important, but still secondary. And you can only effectively carry so much so limit yourself within reason. Just a good pocket camera... This is where it is handy to have an observer... On my elephant hunt, I think Ann was carrying more weight in cameras, batteries, and supplies than I had in gun and scope.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
BTW get a camera with a viewfinder. Way easier to see in sunlight and hold steady closer to your body

I love my Sony and I HATE that it doesn't have a viewfinder.

I have a picture of a blank space on the river because I guessed where the crocodile was and got it wrong.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
I agree to take pictures of everything but not to the point your not hunting hard! I'm sure the hunt is your first priority and pictures are very important, but still secondary.

Agree, and I'm not too worried about Matt getting that distracted by a camera. A frozen herring, yes, but not a camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quesillo.3

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh