Help me pick a rifle to hunt elk with opening weekend

What rifle should I hunt elk with this opener?

• Total voters

Bullthrower338

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
I am torn between three rifles that need to get an elk under their belt.
The Dakota is beautiful and a wonderful elk cartridge. Topped with a Swaro Z6i
The Winchester 54 is a second year production 4 digit serial number gun that is almost 100 years old and screams pick me, this rifle has a peep sight and folding leafs
The Ruger Express passed through the hands of @sestoppelman and @IdaRam before I got the privilege of the dance with her, chambered in the finest elk cartridge ever invented, the 338Win Mag, topped with a 2-8 Swaro.

I say the 54 would be a fun rifle to carry along.

Cody, from the build-up that you gave the 338 Win Mag I'm assuming you've used it before. That being the case why not give the 9.63 X 62 a go? It is pretty much the same as my 35 Whelen and properly loaded should be good Elk medicine.

If you are guaranteed a shot at 100 yds or less the 54 with a peep sight should give you some bragging rights

Last edited:
Cody, from the build-up that you gave the 338 Win Mag I'm assuming you've used it before. That being the case why not give the 9.63 X 62 a go? It is pretty much the same as my 35 Whelen and properly loaded should be good Elk medicine.

If you are guaranteed a shot at 100 yds or less the 54 with a peep sight should give you some bragging rights
I’ve shot many elk with the 338, just not this particular 338. Where I will be hunting this weekend will almost guarantee 100 yards or less. I will have a second rifle along just in case I go hunt a different area where I need a scope.

Cody, your choice of hunting spots almost makes me want to grab my old Mod 71 Lever Action Winchester (Peep Sights and all) and come hunt with you.

Cody, your choice of hunting spots almost makes me want to grab my old Mod 71 Lever Action Winchester (Peep Sights and all) and come hunt with you.
The model 71 is also an option

P.S. you are welcome any time

The model 71 is also an option

P.S. you are welcome any time

Putting the 71 into the picture will get my vote.

I have a idea of using mine for a bison hunt if I should ever get a tag for one.

I think take the .338wm.

Seems like a safe bet.

Hey Cody! Good luck on your hunt and have fun.
I’m a little biased but that Express would look great in a grip and grin photo :)

100 yards or less I'd opt for the 54 as a first choice.
But you need a scope so the 338WM would be the next choice or second rifle.

If your in grizzly country then it's a no brainier the Dakota 9.3x64 with the 54 as a second rifle.

I love the .338 and think its by far the best all around caliber. That said, every 100 year old model 54 needs to get out and spend some time in the field. I voted for the Model 54....

I thought you’d be doing the sharp stick and loin cloth elk hunt again this year???

:confused???

:D

I thought you’d be doing the sharp stick and loin cloth elk hunt again this year???

:confused???

:D
Valid Question!! :A Banana:

Any of those would be a good choice ........which one you would most like to use would be the deciding factor.Personally I am a Dakota fan and also a fan of the 9.3 so it would be an easy choice for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dianne1092

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.