Help me compile a list of all the must-read books on African Hunting

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I'm starting to compile a list of all the essential books on the topic of African Hunting and am planning to read them in chronological order this summer.

1. 1907 - John Patterson - The Man Eaters of Tsavo
2. 1910 - Teddy Roosevelt - African Game Trails.
3. 1923 - W.D.M. Bell - The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter
4. 1935 - Ernest Hemingway - Green Hills of Africa.
5. 1948 - John Taylor - African Rifles and Cartridges
6. 1949 - W.D.M. Bell - Karamojo Safari
7. 1953 - Robert Ruark - Horn of the Hunter
8. 1960 - W.D.M. Bell - Bell of Africa
9. 1978 - Peter Hathaway Capstick - Death in the long grass (and the 3 follow up books).
10. 2003 - Kevin Robertson - The Perfect Shot and the Perfect Shot II

Which others are worth adding to the list?

Cheers,

I'd say number 10 is a must read for anyone planning a hunt in Africa. Number 5 is a good reference material applicable even today.

The rest are good reads for enjoyment that one can read during the 15 hour flight on one's Kindle. ;)

Streeter’s “Denatured Africa” was a pleasant surprise.

Ask the Namibian Guides is a very good book for planning a first safari and just a good read in general.

My fav out of an extensive library: Elephant Hunting in East Equatorial Africa.....by Neumann. But you must decide whether you are after advice on hunting, or historical works......best of luck......consider also Foa, Blixen, Baker, Stigand and Von Honel...........FWB

My fav out of an extensive library: Elephant Hunting in East Equatorial Africa.....by Neumann. But you must decide whether you are after advice on hunting, or historical works......best of luck......consider also Foa, Blixen, Baker, Stigand and Von Honel...........FWB

Neumanns book is good. I happened to trek exactly where he camped in what is now Meru Nat Park in Kenya. My mind ran…

Other books:

Months of the Sun
For the Honour of a Hunter
Kambaku
In Brightest Africa
Horned Death
Sand Rivers
Safari (Bull)

Dang, @baxterb ........now that is living some real history......might add in another book, "The wild Sport of Southern Africa" by Harris.......the first white man known to have encountered a Sable......(which he called a Potaquaine.)...and Peter Berger's book on The Great Karoo.....FWB

Your #10 needs to be read and memorized; then put in your day pack.

I like all of the aforementioned. John Sharp’s “Facing down Fear” was a pleasant surprise. Highly recommend for a modern look at safari life

There are MANY others. If you promise not to mention the Needmore anymore and swear you'll never take a Mossberg to Africa, I'll consider adding to your list. (Stil have the best gun Mossberg ever made in CT: the heavy bbl 22 WMR 640K Chuckster model i got when i was 10. I quickly dispatched of their junky shotguns I got a few years later in-favor of quality stuff by others-Franchi/Browning/Beretta/Ithaca.) LOL Kevin Robertson's "Africa's Most Dangerous" is probably an even better book than his "how to aim at animals" that sells a lot of copies and posters, etc.! lol You missed a pile of steeped-in-Africa hunters that wrote or were featured in many books. Crawford Fletcher Jamieson. Denis Lydel. Wally Johnson. Mark Sullivan. et. al.

May I suggest you take advantage of one of the last great service--oriented businesses....that of the local public library?!! They will literally scour the net for other libraries copies of your favorite africana and have it shipped to the one near you AT NO CHARGE and thank you for the opportunity to serve you. I literally have more hunting books than I have shelf space and cannot seem to learn that I don't have to actually purchase everything I want to read. (After reading, I can select the best ones for purchase) I hope my wife doesn't read this, she won't believe it is coming out of my mouth, but I am going to start using this free resource more often.

Having said that, no collection is complete without Months of the Sun, by Ian Nyschens

Months of the Sun - Ian Nyschens
The Hunting Imperative - Richard Harland
Horned Death - John Burger
King of the Wa-Kikuyu - John Boyes
Facing the Charge - Michael Miller

And so many more… quite a good list we’ve got going so far!

Second that vote for Denis Lyell..........the compilation of his letters shows more about the great hunters, what they were doing and thinking...since they wrote the letters to Lyell .....than any later historical perspective. .....FWB

I'm starting to compile a list of all the essential books on the topic of African Hunting and am planning to read them in chronological order this summer.

1. 1907 - John Patterson - The Man Eaters of Tsavo
2. 1910 - Teddy Roosevelt - African Game Trails.
3. 1923 - W.D.M. Bell - The Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter
4. 1935 - Ernest Hemingway - Green Hills of Africa.
5. 1948 - John Taylor - African Rifles and Cartridges
6. 1949 - W.D.M. Bell - Karamojo Safari
7. 1953 - Robert Ruark - Horn of the Hunter
8. 1960 - W.D.M. Bell - Bell of Africa
9. 1978 - Peter Hathaway Capstick - Death in the long grass (and the 3 follow up books).
10. 2003 - Kevin Robertson - The Perfect Shot and the Perfect Shot II

Which others are worth adding to the list?

Cheers,
You have some great books already listed but just off the top of my head, you should add Kevin Robertsons “It shouldn’t have happened”. I loved that book! It is so fun with great stories…plus you will still learn a lot. At least I did while being thoroughly entertained at his mishaps.

I’d also love for you to add Cries of the Savanna to your list. Of course, I am a bit prejudice but many people here have read the book. Maybe you could ask their opinion or check it out on Amazon or my website. Thanks! Happy reading this summer! Sue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross