help me choose some Plains Game

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
so im planning a hunt for next year and while i know i want a baboon, hyena, and warthog id like to add a few more animals as i plan for 12-14 days. ive already taken an impala and a blue wildebeest so i doubt ill take another one of those unless a really nice example shows up.

can you recommend some PG? why? pictures?

ill likely be hunting in South Africa so it needs to be a critter that can be found there.

thanks!
-matt

oryx,kudu,hartebeast,3 0r 4 baboons

Bushbuck and Kudu because they look awesome. Love the spiral horns. May as well take a Nyala too.

What area do you plan to hunt?
I would 2nd Stug's recommendation above - those 3 are amongst the prettiest and most typically 'African' antelope. An Eland is also a fantastic trophy.

I am a big fan of hunting animals endemic or originally native to the area. So hunting nyala in the Cape or gemsbok in the lowveld or Natal doesn't really appeal. But that may just be my issue:)

so im planning a hunt for next year and while i know i want a baboon, hyena, and warthog id like to add a few more animals as i plan for 12-14 days. ive already taken an impala and a blue wildebeest so i doubt ill take another one of those unless a really nice example shows up.

can you recommend some PG? why? pictures?

ill likely be hunting in South Africa so it needs to be a critter that can be found there.

thanks!
-matt

matt,

I have always like Kudu (Limpopo Kudu, not that "small" EC Kudu...:LOL: :A Stirring:) and reedbuck - makes very nice trophies

matt try a blue duiker , a sable and a chobe bush buck ..........

reason why:, they are all bueatifull animals , and great to hunt

Hi Matt,

Depending on the area you choose to hunt - You could think about some of the smaller antelope

- Klipspringer
- Mountain Reedbuck
- Grey Duiker
- Steenbok

And possibly a couple nocturnal species

- Honey badger
- Genet

Regards

some great suggestions! i never even considered a honey badger. hartebeest and bushbuck are good ideas, i was also considering an eland.

thanks
-matt

Id say go for what opportunities arise but..... My favorite pg are kudu, nyala, bushbuck, gemsbok, black wildebeest, hartebeest, and springbuck. Good luck and I feel your pain as in all honesty I want one of everything in Africa.

Kudu cause it screams 'AFRICA'
Zebra. Awesome floor rug.
Eland. Relatively cheap and HUGE.

plenty of very good ideas... my train of thought at the moment is maybe:

1. baboon
2. warthog
3. hyena
4. kudu
5. eland
6. hartebeest
7. (what ever Africa gives me)

-matt

+1 to Petrus.

I will list x2 lists, each list will have animals that should typically be found in the same area and prefer more or less the same vegetation:

1. Kudu - reflects Africa quite well
2. Bushbuck - temperamental little animal and a challenging walk and stalk hunt at times.
3. Zebra - fall in the same class as Kudu - spirit of Africa feeling
4. Bushpig - hunt them every opportunity you get, they are not that easy to come by.
5. Red Duiker - fair member of the tiny 10 to hunt.

or

1. Springbuck - South Africa national animal
2. Steen buck - part of the tiny 10 and they make adorable full mounts.
3. Black Wildebeest - they are so ugly that you are forced to stare at a shoulder mount to take it all in
4. Red Hartebeest - uniquely formed horns and they make good European mounts
5. Sable - superb specimen to any trophy room.

3. Black Wildebeest - they are so ugly that you are forced to stare at a shoulder mount to take it all in

:E Rofl:

crap, now i want a black wildebeest...

-matt

matt try a blue duiker , a sable and a chobe bush buck ..........

reason why:, they are all bueatifull animals , and great to hunt

And besides, Matt's .505 with solids will be perfect blue duiker medicine.

And besides, Matt's .505 with solids will be perfect blue duiker medicine.

not sure if the 505 is gonna cut it... good thing i just got a call saying my 585 HE was ready. ive even got a few boxes of Barnes 750gr solids handy. :P Devil:

-matt

not sure if the 505 is gonna cut it... good thing i just got a call saying my 585 HE was ready. ive even got a few boxes of Barnes 750gr solids handy. :P Devil:

-matt

Now you're cooking with gas!!!!!

My favourites:

- Black wildebeest. Best hunt EVER till now and I have to confess stroking his mane remembered me of pony riding as a little girl (ok, the ponies were all alive, more or less...)

- Impala. It´s a beautiful animal, it´s the Bambi among the african antelopes.

- Eland. Huge! HUGE! On my trophy fotos I look like a dwarf, and I´m sitting in front of it...

@matt85 This is simple, go after what you come across that is large enough to be worth going after. (All baboons are large enough to be worth going after :D)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineGr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg