Help me choose a Double Rifle for Plains Game which caliber combinations

Just a heads-up: Holts have some double rifles in medium bore calibres coming up for auction that may be of interest (including a Krieghoff in .243 - I suppose for driven game).

Speaking from bitter experience, though, importing sporting rifles into South Africa is very difficult, and can only be done through authorised forwarders, AND you will have to pay import duty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice idea IvW. Both barrels 7x65R, let your small be small.

Pot Shot in Randburg had some small cal side by sides a few years back he didn't want much for, not top male but new, albeit a bit of rust. It was very cheap.

My first double rifle was a Krieghoff Teck, built to my specifications, in caliber .458 WM, with extra barrel sets in .375 H&H and 20 gauge 3" Magnum. I was very pleased with it on all my trips to Africa. The .375 H&H barrels got the most workout, since I used them on big plains game, like eland and kudu, as well as thin skinned dangerous game, such as lion and leopard. I took elephant and buffalo with the .458 barrels.

I was a little dubious of the rimless cartridges in a double rifle, but at the time nothing else with readily available ammunition was on the American market
Krieghoff 007 (2).jpg
Krieghoff 008.jpg
. I wasn't familiar with the 9.3X74R. I now have both an O/U and a S/S rifle in that caliber. However, the rimless extractors/ejectors worked flawlessly in the Krieghoff.

I am now considering
9.3x74R/9.3×74R
7x65R/7x65R
And the 7x57R/20ga
My Chapuis UGEX has those 1st 2 sets, it would be slick to have a set of shotgun barrels to go with them.

Reactions: IvW
I
As for the magazine/cartidge holder built into the stock, are they any good and are they worth it? How many rounds do they hold? Cant find much on them on the internet
Have some rifles with this feature... my Blaser K77 Kipplauf for example holds 3 rounds .308 Winchester.
Love this, because whatever happens, there is always ammunition.
Most of the magazines hold 4, some five, especially for "Bergstutzen", 2 big and 3 small..

HWL

Reactions: IvW
I

Have some rifles with this feature... my Blaser K77 Kipplauf for example holds 3 rounds .308 Winchester.
Love this, because whatever happens, there is always ammunition.
Most of the magazines hold 4, some five, especially for "Bergstutzen", 2 big and 3 small..

HWL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dianne1092

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.